+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2022 - Citizenship Applications

wink

May 25, 2021
Hi all, an update. I'm an applicant from outside Canada, who just had their interview completed on the 10th of January. The officer informed me that I had passed and would be scheduled for the next available oath. I asked if there is the chance of an in person oath and he said that there is, but that they are prioritising online oaths currently. If you want an in person oath you can request one and they will put it in a pile until there are enough requests for an in person oath to complete one in your local area. He estimated an in person oath would take longer to schedule than an online one.

As I have been outside Canada for more than a year I did need to get a police check completed and sent to them. Thankfully this process is fast in my country, and online, so this has been sent to IRCC today (11th of January). The officer told me all of my application is now completed and I will be scheduled for the next available oath ceremony.

Application type: Online
Physical presence: +1100
Application: Single
Applications sent: Jan 7th 2022
Application received: Feb 28th
Citizenship test invite: Sept 20th
FP request: Sept 22nd (sent Sept 27th from outside Canada)
Test completed: Sept 27th (outside Canada).
FP Received: October 27th
Background Check Completed: October 27th
Passport request: 3rd November.
Sent passport scans: 3rd November.
Interview request: 10th of December for an online interview on the 10th of Jan 2023.
Interview completed: 10th of January (from outside Canada)
All completed (told by officer, not yet appeared on tracker): 10th January 2023
Request for foreign police check: Completed and emailed 11th January 2023.
Oath: Not yet started.

For what it's worth, I've seen a lot of paranoid conspiracy in this forum from people who do not know and who are extrapolating their own anxieties and experience with what they perceive as delays to everyone else. I was told that as I was abroad the application would be held in suspension until I returned to Canada, for example, although this is clearly not the case. Each application takes a different amount of time, not due to some conspiracy or incompetence, but simply due to the amount of applications and the complicated information that the officers need to go through. This is comparable to other countries (it took 2 years for me to get my Irish citizenship!) so everyone really just needs to relax a bit. I get it's stressful, but you're in a privileged position to even be able to apply for citizenship in a country different to that of your birth, take a step back!
It's not conspiracy. Just that some get lucky and some not. Maybe it depends on the officer who is handling. Please keep us posted when everything is marked complete and when scheduled for the oath.

johnyrose

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
NOC Code......
A
Nice to see that you are on the last stretch. But do you think that you'll have already had your oath if you were in Canada?

Because after the background check on October 27, all those passport, interviews and police report from another country is because you were outside Canada.

And you still don't have the physical presence, prohibitions and language skills marked complete, right? So maybe they may actually be delaying your application after all.

Yes some people are extra anxious but don't talk down to them in a condescending way. IRCC is really difficult to reach and they can keep you in limbo for a very long time because of a mistake or hiccup in your application. You were lucky to meet a reasonable officer who was willing to schedule for the oath without coming back to Canada. Take your victory and go and stop rubbing it on others who have legitimate concerns.
This..this..very well said!!

I saw this post and wanted to reply but I am not good at articulating sentences and didn't want to reply.

Not sure why people think that just because they had a smooth process everyone else is going to have the same.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this reply.

jacam

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
"Take the Oath of Citizenship
Citizenship ceremony

Waiting on you
You've been scheduled to attend your citizenship ceremony on February 8, 2023.
Follow the instructions we sent to you for information on:
  • how to attend the ceremony
  • what documents you have to present
The notice you’ll receive is the official confirmation of the appointment. If you haven’t received the notice by the date of the scheduled appointment, contact us''

Anyone knows how long it typically take to receive the notice with with the information? It has been 3 weeks and nothing yet

Jan 11, 2023
crickets since september.. absolutely crushing.. crying does not help.. no rhyme or reason to what's happening behind closed doors.. borderline inhumane..

Reactions: a303

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
This..this..very well said!!

I saw this post and wanted to reply but I am not good at articulating sentences and didn't want to reply.

Not sure why people think that just because they had a smooth process everyone else is going to have the same.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this reply.
Lol. The funny thing is their application is still not completed and they are already mocking those who are in various stages of completion. I

Reactions: johnyrose

dkfk

Star Member
Jan 28, 2018
Yes, I am still waiting! Nothing yet
I'm surprised you haven't heard yet. I did submit my application probably a week prior to you with AOR a few days earlier than you, and my test was completed a month before you. Maybe these dates make a difference? You did get your Language, Prohibition & Physical Presence completed a few weeks before me, not sure why.

Windsor ON

Sep 11, 2018
I haven’t got any updated since Oct, it is frustrating knowing that a lot of people got their approval already who applied after Jan 3. What exactly is going on here ? Anyone with the same issue. Tried to call them but no answer. Still have an error(system glitch) in the tracker with additional information required.
Type: Online
Submission date: 03 January 2022
Physical Presence: 1110
AOR: 25 February 2022
In progress: 25, April 2022
Ghost update : 31 August 2022
Ghost update : 2 September 2022
Scheduled for test: 9 September 2022
Fingerprint request: 14 September 2022
Test completed: 26 September 2022
Fingerprint received: 05 October 2022
Ghost update : 16 December 2022
Ghost update : 17 December 2022
Ghost update : 16 December 2022

Reactions: a303

fastfood

Apr 16, 2014
New delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm surprised you haven't heard yet. I did submit my application probably a week prior to you with AOR a few days earlier than you, and my test was completed a month before you. Maybe these dates make a difference? You did get your Language, Prohibition & Physical Presence completed a few weeks before me, not sure why.
I am getting anxious now and keep on checking my account every hour. I hope I get update by far by the end of Jan. we are holding our travel plans since long now. I will complete one year mark on Jan 15 th when I submitted my online application.

dkfk

Star Member
Jan 28, 2018
I am getting anxious now and keep on checking my account every hour. I hope I get update by far by the end of Jan. we are holding our travel plans since long now. I will complete one year mark on Jan 15 th when I submitted my online application.
I hear ya. I checked my tracker every day, multiple times a day. Hope you see oath in your tracker very soon!

Reactions: fastfood

harsh cheema

Dec 13, 2018
Hi, I have question, I am travelling to India on 7th feb, I want to travel on canadian passport. My status is waiting for oath rest everything done. I have booked my ticket. Should I put request for urgent citizenship? Will it be faster that way?

johnyrose

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
NOC Code......
A
Hi, I have question, I am travelling to India on 7th feb, I want to travel on canadian passport. My status is waiting for oath rest everything done. I have booked my ticket. Should I put request for urgent citizenship? Will it be faster that way?
You can try but highly unlikely they will approve your urgent request. Doesn't hurt to try though.

iluvtomorrowland

Jun 28, 2017
Oath done. Now waiting for the certificate. Here is my timeline:

Processing office - Scarborough
Application - Single Online
Application sent - Jan 6, 2022
Application Received - Jan 6, 2022
AOR - Feb 28, 2022
In-Progress - Mar 1, 2022
GU - Sep 8, 2022
BG complete - Sep 9, 2022
Test invitation in tracker - Sep 19, 2022