+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2022 - Citizenship Applications

mikemma.9295

Jul 31, 2018
Waterloo
Hello
I caught a misdemeanor charge while driving in the USA with aggravated unlicensed operator 3rd degree which occurs when an individual operates a motor vehicle on public roads while knowing or having reason to know that his/her license or privilege to operate a motor vehicle is suspended or revoked. The sentence is a fine or a term of imprisonment of not more than thirty days

1 .My question is can I still apply for citizenship in Canada?
2. If yes. Should
Highly unlikely that IRCC will deny you citizenship over a misdemeanor charge. They will likely scrutinize your application and take long time to grant you citizenship as you knowingly committed an offence.

IRCC has divided offence into 2 parts - Summary Offence, and Indictable Offence, with latter for serious offences. Misdemeanor charge would come under Summary Offence. So, there should be no issue except they will take their time to investigate you in terms of criminality.

I think you should apply for citizenship as long as you meet all other requirements. Just be clear about the charge while completing the application and include the sentence that you served (either fine or imprisonment term).

* I am not a lawyer. If you think you won't meet the requirements, hire an immigration lawyer to ensure your application gets approved.

Last edited:
Reactions: naten and smash1984

naten

Feb 20, 2018
Highly unlikely that IRCC will deny you citizenship over a misdemeanor charge. They will likely scrutinize your application and take long time to grant you citizenship as you knowingly committed an offence.

IRCC has divided offence into 2 parts - Summary Offence, and Indictable Offence, with latter for serious offences. Misdemeanor charge would come under Summary Offence. So, there should be no issue except they will take their time to investigate you in terms of criminality.

I think you should apply for citizenship as long as you meet all other requirements. Just be clear about the charge while completing the application and include the sentence that you served (either fine or imprisonment term).

* I am not a lawyer. If you think you won't meet the requirements, hire an immigration lawyer to ensure your application gets approved.
May I ask you about prohibitions? Is it the same as criminality? if it is, why doesnt it get updated same time with background check complete?

mikemma.9295

Jul 31, 2018
Waterloo
May I ask you about prohibitions? Is it the same as criminality? if it is, why doesnt it get updated same time with background check complete?
Basically, Prohibitions check includes everything, right from criminality/background checks to ensuring you meet all requirements stated in the below link. It may also include CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service) check if they think that applicant may be involved in Terrorism on International level along with review/verification of Foreign Police Certificates based on your Travel History within last 5 years.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/situtations-prevent-citizenship.html

Background/criminality check or verification is what fingerprint search of RCMP Repository Database provides, which is mostly limited to criminal history within Canada.

* Please correct me if I may have interpreted the process incorrectly.

Last edited:

naten

Feb 20, 2018
Basically, Prohibitions check includes everything, right from criminality/background checks to ensuring you meet all requirements stated in the below link. It may also include CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service) check if they think that applicant may be involved in Terrorism on International level along with review/verification of Foreign Police Certificates based on your Travel History within last 5 years.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/situtations-prevent-citizenship.html

Background/criminality check or verification is what fingerprint search of RCMP Repository Database provides, which is mostly limited to criminal history within Canada.

* Please correct me if I may have interpreted the process incorrectly.
thanks for the explanation.

ryalla

Star Member
Jan 5, 2019
Your citizenship application status: Closed
Reason: We have approved your application to become a Canadian citizen.

Congratulations!
You are now a Canadian citizen. Welcome to the Canadian family!

eCAS status also changed from Decision Made to Complete

Updated this morning!! hopefully they are shipping out the Certificate soon.
Citizenship Certificate received today :) so fast from SCR!! yay!!

2018cecsep

Star Member
Nov 30, 2018
UPDATE:
Background moved to completed on 09/13
Online test invitation received on 09/13
Test completed 09/19 (18 out of 20)

Type: Online - Single application for 1 (myself)
Submitted: Jan 13, 2022
AOR received: March 3, 2022
Hi, May I ask did you finish the test on 09/19? Or the tracker updated citizenship test to completed on 09/19?

blueberries2022

Jan 6, 2022
Hi, I have a small correction for the tracker:

online application
AOR: February 28, 2022
Background check complete: September 13, 2022
Ghost update: September 15, 2022
Haven't received a test invite yet.

DevGurgaon

Aug 14, 2015
Application Type: Online
No of Applicants:
Single
Application sent: January 18, 2022
AOR: March 2, 2022
Ghost Update: September 12, 2022
BG Check Complete: September 13, 2022
Test Invite: September 14, 2022
Test Given: Sep 20, 2022

MRHA

Sep 7, 2022
UPDATE from this morning:

Citizenship Test moved to completed 09/21

1. I received by email the test invitation on September 09 for a writing period of September 13 - October 03.
  2. I completed the test on September 19
  3. The tracker still shows "In progress" for the citizenship test.
  4. Language Skills, Physical Presence, Prohibitions, and Citizenship test show "in progress". Background Verification is the only marked as "Completed"
Hi, May I ask did you finish the test on 09/19? Or the tracker updated citizenship test to completed on 09/19?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2018cecsep