+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****January 2020 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
IRCC is the one that approves the visitor extension, so they will know about it in the context of the OWP application (which is delayed for nearly everyone)
Interesting that you say that. However, I doubt that every single officer reviewing the case will have access to that information (most probably only a few can). I would always update the application formally! (Of course, it's a guess. Most information has access control so not every officer has access to the same amount of information about you!)

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Interesting that you say that. However, I doubt that every single officer reviewing the case will have access to that information (most probably only a few can). I would always update the application formally! (Of course, it's a guess. Most information has access control so not every officer has access to the same amount of information about you!)
They have to have access to information like that to determine if you're eligible for the OWP, as you must be in status to apply and receive the OWP.

abhijeets13

Jul 10, 2015
Hi Guys,

So, we followed the thread suggested by @Eveslm and found it best to reach out to IRCC Contact Centre to have a clarification regarding the mail. Here is what we found out.

1) The mail was sent in error as one only have to be in status when the IRCC receive your OWP application. Once the OWP application is accepted by IRCC you move onto implied status automatically and even if you apply for extension of visitor visa, they will not process it as they can see you are on implied status; given your OWP and PR application is in process. In this case they will refund you the visitor visa extension fee - We hope they follow it as well; they have messed up some cases in the past.
2) December 2019 and January 2020 OWP applications are expected to be processed by End-of August 2020. Do not expect much movement in July 2020.
3) The agents said they have not even touched in-land spousal application (paper application to be particular) received after October 2019 (not OWP, but spouse PR application). She told because of the Covid-19 situation you can expect an increase processing times of 4-6 months.

Having said that, we still do not believe IRCC agents 100% because the agents have gave us some wrong information in the past. So, we actually called the IRCC twice and both the agents pretty much told us the same thing.

Hope this info helps clarify things for all of us.
Enjoy the weekend!!!

Hi Guys, So we submitted a web-form last weekend for the update on OWP and this is the response we got. The Application was submitted on Jan 27 2020 and AOR is March 19 2020. My Spouse 6 months got done on June 10 2020 and we already have applied her extension on May 10 2020.

Good day XXXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Since we know that sponsoring or being sponsored by your spouse or common-law partner is an important event in your life, we want to ensure that you have all the information and tools at your disposal to make this process as easy and enjoyable as possible.

As of December 22, 2014, open work permits may be issued to eligible applicants under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class at an earlier stage in processing if they meet certain criteria. We verified the information on file. However, it has been determined that you do not meet the eligibility criteria.

Your application for the open work permit remains valid and will be processed once your sponsorship application is approved in principle.

The processing times indicated on our website are approximate, and can vary with each individual case.

Rest assured that we are aware of how important this next stage in your life is and that we are committed to processing your application as quickly as we can.

For more information on what to expect after a sponsorship application was submitted, please consult our website.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

Sincerely,

Tharcisse, agent 9999
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

Now we are totally lost. The post in threads across forum suggested the implied status is considered acceptable for processing OWP but the mail suggests otherwise. Given the current circumstance AIP will take atleast 10 more months as they are currently processing August 2019 files. ANy suggestions, what can we do in this situation.

Reactions: fresh_chicken

terki

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2012
FLORIDA - MIAMI
LANDED..........
DUAL-CITIZEN - USA/CANADA
Hi Guys,

So, we followed the thread suggested by @Eveslm and found it best to reach out to IRCC Contact Centre to have a clarification regarding the mail. Here is what we found out.

1) The mail was sent in error as one only have to be in status when the IRCC receive your OWP application. Once the OWP application is accepted by IRCC you move onto implied status automatically and even if you apply for extension of visitor visa, they will not process it as they can see you are on implied status; given your OWP and PR application is in process. In this case they will refund you the visitor visa extension fee - We hope they follow it as well; they have messed up some cases in the past.
2) December 2019 and January 2020 OWP applications are expected to be processed by End-of August 2020. Do not expect much movement in July 2020.
3) The agents said they have not even touched in-land spousal application (paper application to be particular) received after October 2019 (not OWP, but spouse PR application). She told because of the Covid-19 situation you can expect an increase processing times of 4-6 months.

Having said that, we still do not believe IRCC agents 100% because the agents have gave us some wrong information in the past. So, we actually called the IRCC twice and both the agents pretty much told us the same thing.

Enjoy the weekend!!!

file has eligibilty issue hence the sowp not approved - in the forms u might have ticked - "REfer form 1344"
On question 1 u might have ticked the 3rd box.

now with regards to implied status. irrespective of what it is - applicant retains valid legal status until decision on work permit - noting to worry

also public policy covers spouses/partners out of status in canada - will not be an inadmissibility

good luck

abhijeets13

Jul 10, 2015
I am sorry; did not got what you went by eligibility issues and third box. Can you elaborate a little more for us to understand.

file has eligibilty issue hence the sowp not approved - in the forms u might have ticked - "REfer form 1344"

now with regards to implied status. irrespective of what it is - applicant retains valid legal status until decision on work permit - noting to worry

also public policy covers spouses/partners out of status in canada - will not be an inadmissibility

good luck

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga

good luck
Question 1 of imm1344 has nothing to do the OWP application issue above

Reactions: abhijeets13

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hi Guys,

Enjoy the weekend!!!
I still think you should send a query via webform. As for this part 'they have not even touched in-land spousal application'.... well some jan & feb applicants have their OWP approved

abhijeets13

Jul 10, 2015
This part only applies for the Spousal PR Application not OWP, like I said above.

It will be actually nice if some of you folks also either call or send a web-form. The more the information we have, the more accurate we can make out what these guys are doing. I have trust issues with IRCC agents.

I still think you should send a query via webform. As for this part 'they have not even touched in-land spousal application'.... well some jan & feb applicants have their OWP approved

terki

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2012
FLORIDA - MIAMI
LANDED..........
DUAL-CITIZEN - USA/CANADA
Question 1 of imm1344 has nothing to do the OWP application issue above

it is indeed linked directly to owp grant.. if eligibility fail and applicant has still ticked (3rd box) - to proceed irrespective

Owp will then be held up until AIP approval - this is exactly the narration of the message what call centre person said -

owp will not be granted before AIP Approval if primary eligibility fails - pl note, this is been the case since ages

Assume on 1344 - first box was ticked - application returns with eligibility fail and owp lapses too
what protects the owp is the 1344 box tick[from sponsorship form]
not to forget owp is dependent on spousal sponsorship

I have seen this for 10yrs now - I don't want to argue; hopefully the above is clear

I still wish good luck for all of you waiting for owp. -

Reactions: abhijeets13

prive6399

Jan 2, 2020
So, my wife passed her medical exam that she was asked to do for her extension on her visitor's status. We submitted the results and they have updated the PR application of my wife to "reviewing your medical exams" .

On different note, has any of the sponsors been approved so far? I check and it always says in process.

How about any OWP application? Has anyone received one this week?

Jen86748

Apr 7, 2020
Hello,

I am currently in status in Canada on a study permit, but my status ends at the end of July. I applied for my permanent residency/ open work permit back in January. Because I applied for my open work permit I will be on “implied status” correct? Is there any reason that I should apply to extend my status and change it to visitor? Or should I wait until the decision on my open work permit is made?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
We would typically respond to questions like that saying that it's best to extend until you have some sort of evidence that your OWP application has been accepted for processing - such as linking it in GCKey, otherwise, if it's returned for any reason, you're out of status.

Jen86748

Apr 7, 2020
We would typically respond to questions like that saying that it's best to extend until you have some sort of evidence that your OWP application has been accepted for processing - such as linking it in GCKey, otherwise, if it's returned for any reason, you're out of status.
Thank you for your response. I linked my work permit and permanent residency application to GCKey back in March so I should be good to go!

venkatragavan

Jun 17, 2020
Hi,
Today i got an email saying i dont need biometric letter and my old biometric that i took on 2018 is still valid and the email correspondence was attached to my owp application number. Looks like some movement and biometric might not be necessary for applicants of dec 3 onwards too.

Regards,
Venkat.