+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****January 2020 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

Gritten

Mar 28, 2017
1. No, you can link it to her GCKey account. You can't link it to both accounts.

2. No.

3. No, the AOR typically only goes to the sponsor (unless you manage to link the application in the few hours before it being linkable and the AOR being emailed, in which case it will go to the email address of the GCKey you linked the application to.

4. Because only the sponsor is sent AOR - which is the correspondance.

As for the lack of success in linking, you may need to call IRCC. Sometimes multiple surnames (such as Spanish/Latin style surnames) get truncated/combined/something funny happens, though using application number and UCI should have eliminated that issue.
Thanks for the detailed response. I'll give things a try again tonight using the info we have (without my UCI). Her last name is pretty straightforward. So if we can't link up tonight, will try and give IRCC a call.

harind17

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
Hi all--we recently submitted our application via an immigration consultant. We got married after a year we started dating. He was separated for a year with his ex wife and then finally got divorce in May and we got married in September.

My husband is currently out of status but he is from Venezuela so he cannot be deported right now. We also applied for the open work permit with the application. The immigration consultant advised us that the open work permit might be a bit of a 50/50 as he is out of status but the sponsorship application seems solid. I'm wondering in your opinion how feasible it is for us to get the OWP. I know the government has some special considerations on Venezuelan nationals but not sure if it goes as far as giving him an open work permit despite being out of status.

thanks very much!
I am not aware of any special consideration for Venezuela citizens (may be someone can chip in), but in normal cases if you are Out of Status and applied for OWP with inland application, you will be considered for OWP only 'after' you get AIP (approval in principle) for your PR application and AIP generally comes towards the end of PR process. So yes, you can definitely get OWP with out of status, how much of value will it be to you and your husband is a different thing.

Reactions: k.h.p.

32David

Mar 4, 2020
correct me if i am wrong here..i have applied for my Spouse Sponsorship + OWP...I think i will get 2 separate AOR one for PR and other for OWP. The processing time for getting the OWP says 9 weeks since it does not include any check on eligibility check.for getting PR AOR it will roughly take around 50-60 avg. days to come post i can hope for PR in next 3-4 months...m i correct here or m i missing anything ?
Dont think so, one AOR from which I understand

jahnvi_ar

Feb 27, 2020
Was able to link the OWP application today.
How can we link OWP to our GCkey account? Whenever I log in with my GC key,it says I will have to wait for the AOR to be able to track the application status but thats for PR. How can I track status for my open work permit. I submitted my file on january 8th

kimodz

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
App received Jan 8
No AOR yet but I called in today told me app is complete and the email on the way and I was provided with application number and I was able to link PR application to my GC key.
OWP can be linked in 4 days?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
How can we link OWP to our GCkey account? Whenever I log in with my GC key,it says I will have to wait for the AOR to be able to track the application status but thats for PR. How can I track status for my open work permit. I submitted my file on january 8th
You can link your OWP about five days after you get AOR.

You select "Temporary residence or work permit," then "open work permit," the "spouse in Canada" and fill in the details, instead of selecting "Permanent residence."

Reactions: jahnvi_ar

venm

May 4, 2017
Hi there!! My application received on Jan 31 2020, applied spousal sponsorship. but did not put an application for OWP, since my spouse has OWP till end of July 2020. but i saw how the applications are moving(very slow).Taking minimum of 7-8 months. now iM worried that my spouse OWP will expire before PR approved. So, now i want to apply for OWP. how can i apply now? is it gonna be online or paper? should i wait until i get AOR or just do it? please advice . thank you