+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****January 2020 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Also, I had a question. My OWP got approved today and I have been wondering if my OWP would permit me to travel(would they let me back into canada?) to go see my family in Washington. I havent seen them since last summer and I would appreciate only kind responses (obviously I would quarantine in both places/get tested).
Thanks, if anyone knows about this please let me know.
Assuming that you are American.

Once you leave Canada, your visitor record is invalidated. With an American passport, you can attempt to re enter Canada, however:

- Readmission is the border officers discretion as you are not a visitor
- you would need proof of your relationship with a Canadian to be allowed to re enter
- your OWP says on it "NOT valid for travel"
- you would be required to quarantine
- staying out of Canada for more than a couple of weeks may create a risk of refusal as you must live in Canada during an inland application

You are able to leave Canada and attempt to return, but there is a small risk you'd be denied ré entry. The risk is reduced with the OWP and due to COVID if you have proof of relationship with a Canadian, but its not eliminated. If you are refused re-entry your application is considered abandoned.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I received my open work permit in the mail today! The conditions do not allow me to work in childcare or primary/secondary schools. I just graduated from a Canadian institution with my Bachelor of Education so I want to be able to teach in schools. I was wondering if at this point it would even be worth it to apply to change the conditions on my work permit or should I just wait until PR is approved? I'm assuming that a medical is needed. I had one done last September for my co-op work permit and submitted it with my application but these conditions were still put into place. Has anyone ever had experience changing conditions on their work permits? I know things are different in these times so I might just wait until I have PR.

I am very grateful for the opportunity to work while I await for permanent residency even if I have to put my teaching career on hold!
If you submitted valid medicals you should not have received those conditions. Start by filing a webform and ask why you got the conditions.

Mack2020

Aug 5, 2020
I noticed the GCKEY is Not working today due to the recent hacking attempt. Any idea when the service is going to be available ?

gchan

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
Just checked GCKey and the original Temporary Resident Visa application line has changed from "Approved" to "Application/Profile Updated." There is no update though.

Could it be good news? I hope so.

Reactions: Mack2020

Mack2020

Aug 5, 2020
Just checked GCKey and the original Temporary Resident Visa application line has changed from "Approved" to "Application/Profile Updated." There is no update though.

When was your application submitted ? And the second question is, did you apply for OWP along with your application Or just extension of your stay only?

gchan

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
When was your application submitted ? And the second question is, did you apply for OWP along with your application Or just extension of your stay only?
Never applied for extension of stay because work permit is already an extension of stay so it already provides implied status (that’s what IRCC said on the phone anyway)

Mack2020

Aug 5, 2020

I was able to access via signin partner.
Thank you so much. I have applied the same as you and from the same city (just checked the spreadsheet and found ur name above mine.) My application was received on Jan 21. What I don’t see on my GCkey is the One you mentioned about “Temporary Resident Visa application line.” I don’t know where I can find that info? By the way I wish you a positive update soon✌

gchan

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
Thank you so much. I have applied the same as you and from the same city (just checked the spreadsheet and found ur name above mine.) My application was received on Jan 21. What I don’t see on my GCkey is the One you mentioned about “Temporary Resident Visa application line.” I don’t know where I can find that info? By the way I wish you a positive update soon✌
OK so on GCKey it says "View the applications you submitted" then it shows a list of previous and current applications, each one is a new line.

His old visa application from 2018 (to come to Canada the first time) is listed there. The status on that changed from "Approved" to "Application/Profile Updated"

Mack2020

Aug 5, 2020
OK so on GCKey it says "View the applications you submitted" then it shows a list of previous and current applications, each one is a new line.

His old visa application from 2018 (to come to Canada the first time) is listed there. The status on that changed from "Approved" to "Application/Profile Updated"
Gotcha!I came from visa exempt country. That could be why I don’t see the line listed on mine. I hope we all will hear a positive news soon. Thank you again .

avtars

Jan 31, 2018

hey mine also shows the same. Is there anything else changed in your profile?