+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2020 - citizenship application

Bcer

Star Member
Jul 6, 2021
Hello Guys,
Need an urgent piece of advice.
Just completed my oath ceremony and the officer told me unless I don't receive my citizenship certificate and passport I should not leave the country.
I am working in the States and I did not expect this curveball since I was planning to leave the country within the next couple of days.
Also I am not aware that while leaving Canada the Border security asks for any proof of status in Canada or even places an exit stamp.

Should I wait for getting everything (certificate + passport) and then exit the country or can I just leave the country and get the citizenship certificate mailed to me?

I was specifically told by the officer to be in Canada to receive the Certificate and passport.

Any suggestions what I need to do?

If you do not have a passport, and are returning to Canada, the following documents can denote identity and citizenship:

• NEXUS card, held by a Canadian citizen, when entering Canada by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes
  • FAST card (Free and Secure Trade), issued to a Canadian citizen (when arriving by land or marine modes only)
  • Canadian emergency travel document
  • Canadian temporary passport
  • Certificate of Canadian citizenship (issued from 1954 to present)
  • Enhanced driver's license issued by a Canadian province or territory
  • Enhanced identification/photo card issued by a Canadian province or territory

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello Admin,

Could you please update the spreadsheet? Today, I received my online citizenship test invite. Time frame: September 3 - 23.
Aside from Discover Canada, are there any good practice test resources?

Thank you!
I've updated the spreadsheet. Please post an update once you take the test.

Discover Canada is the main resource. Read the entire book at least once.

In addition to that, prepare using the following:

Notes from Discover Canada and Sample tests.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello Guys,
Need an urgent piece of advice.
Just completed my oath ceremony and the officer told me unless I don't receive my citizenship certificate and passport I should not leave the country.
I am working in the States and I did not expect this curveball since I was planning to leave the country within the next couple of days.
Also I am not aware that while leaving Canada the Border security asks for any proof of status in Canada or even places an exit stamp.

Should I wait for getting everything (certificate + passport) and then exit the country or can I just leave the country and get the citizenship certificate mailed to me?

I was specifically told by the officer to be in Canada to receive the Certificate and passport.

Any suggestions what I need to do?
You might be able to get back into Canada with your citizenship certificate and another ID (I am NOT sure how practical this is but I read it in the link below).

You should have asked the clerk to expedite the citizenship certificate if you have urgent travel to the US. You could have then applied for an Express or Urgent Pickup service for passport.

Anyway, once you receive the certificate and you have a proof of travel, you can apply for either urgent or express pickup and get your passport sooner.

All the best!

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oath done!! :)
Everything was smooth until the singing of the anthem part. It was nothing short of a virtual disaster! The anthem was stopped midway and we stopped as well, then it happened again in the second try, I ignored and kept on singing which I think encouraged the others to sing without music :D And it was the bilingual version, so that didn't help either :D
Although my office is Ottawa, the judge was from Montreal, and French was more prevalent in the ceremony than usual of what I read around here. It also seemed that more than half of the attendees were francophone. The oath was recited in French first than in English, so many butchered that first recitation, and in order to compensate, the anglophones started shouting the oath during the English recitation :D
Anyhow, it did work smooth in the end, but the judge didn't stay around for photos :( I managed to take a couple of screenshots when I learned that.
Good luck everyone!

clark kent

Aug 27, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
04-09-2014
Med's Request
09-03-2015
Med's Done....
11-03-2015
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
LANDED..........
04-07-2015
You might be able to get back into Canada with your citizenship certificate and another ID (I am NOT sure how practical this is but I read it in the link below).

You should have asked the clerk to expedite the citizenship certificate if you have urgent travel to the US. You could have then applied for an Express or Urgent Pickup service for passport.

Anyway, once you receive the certificate and you have a proof of travel, you can apply for either urgent or express pickup and get your passport sooner.

All the best!
Thanks Raj,
I did ask the Clerk if the Citizenship certificate can be expedited but I was clearly told it takes 4 to 6 weeks (Scarborough office).
I also read that the passport can be applied outside Canada?
Any clue regarding the same?
Also do you know if while exiting Canada any proof of living in Canada or status of immigration is required?

Reactions: edwsqa

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
Oath done!! :)
Everything was smooth until the singing of the anthem part. It was nothing short of a virtual disaster! The anthem was stopped midway and we stopped as well, then it happened again in the second try, I ignored and kept on singing which I think encouraged the others to sing without music :D And it was the bilingual version, so that didn't help either :D
Although my office is Ottawa, the judge was from Montreal, and French was more prevalent in the ceremony than usual of what I read around here. It also seemed that more than half of the attendees were francophone. The oath was recited in French first than in English, so many butchered that first recitation, and in order to compensate, the anglophones started shouting the oath during the English recitation :D
Anyhow, it did work smooth in the end, but the judge didn't stay around for photos :( I managed to take a couple of screenshots when I learned that.
Good luck everyone!
You waited so long for such a disaster! What a joke is IRCC .

• Haha
Reactions: Elchavodel8

purpleheart

Jan 22, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2014(mpnp on line), 16-01-2016 (cic/paper-based)
Nomination.....
08-12-2015 (mpnp)
AOR Received.
22-03-2016 (UCI#, EP#)
IELTS Request
19-09-2015 by mpnp
File Transfer...
Med's Request
13-04-2016
Med's Done....
22-04-2016
Interview........
Sponsor's Interview: 27-11-2015(mpnp)
Passport Req..
25-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-2016
LANDED..........
20-10-2016
Hi Purpleheart,

Congratulations!

I’ve seen were in the same province and im kinda close to your timeline.
Test Passed Completed May 2,2021
All process completed except oath July 13,2021.

As of now still no update. I just want to ask what time did you received the oath invitation email?

Thank you Pedropil...and very soon, it would be your turn.

Thank you
I got the email 3:40 pm last 24th of August, but I saw the update on my tracker -the day before.
(Postscript: I noticed that the status tracker is not in reel time: It will take a day or 2 that the updates would be shown from our end)

Your oath taking is just around the corner.

clark kent

Aug 27, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
04-09-2014
Med's Request
09-03-2015
Med's Done....
11-03-2015
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
LANDED..........
04-07-2015
Thanks Raj,
I did ask the Clerk if the Citizenship certificate can be expedited but I was clearly told it takes 4 to 6 weeks (Scarborough office).
I also read that the passport can be applied outside Canada?
Any clue regarding the same?
Also do you know if while exiting Canada any proof of living in Canada or status of immigration is required?
I sent a follow up email to the Clerk asking to expedite the process.
Not sure what's going to happen.
Hope I don't lose my job in the States :(

Torontosingh

Apr 28, 2021
Depends on the location of the office, your location and when your file is "closed" on their system. It varies. Could take anywhere between a week to a month to receive the citizenship certificate.
At Final Today I received my Citizenship Certificate , I did My Oath Ceremony On Aug 19,2021 .Thanks all very much for your guidance and support, and I Wish Good Luck to all who are waiting for their Oath and different steps for Citizenship .

Reactions: sharafashraf

clark kent

Aug 27, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
04-09-2014
Med's Request
09-03-2015
Med's Done....
11-03-2015
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
LANDED..........
04-07-2015
Is the citizenship certificate and passport delivered in hand or can it be delivered to the leasing office or mailbox?