+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

JANUARY 2017 - OUTLAND SPOUSAL APPLICANTS

COOL_DUDE_CANADA

Star Member
Jan 30, 2015
guys... i will need your help in this please some one respond

i just got married 10 days back.
i need to apply for SPONsor for my husband, any one who has applied this year... is it really taking 12 months???

i live in canada... i will be applying soon within end of april

i see we cannot apply the WORK permit until he gets the PR.

please provide advices and suggestions.

thanks
:)

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
COOL_DUDE_CANADA said:
guys... i will need your help in this please some one respond

i just got married 10 days back.
i need to apply for SPONsor for my husband, any one who has applied this year... is it really taking 12 months???
The new forms and timelines are only 3 months old. Nobody yet knows how long it will take. If you're talking about an inland application, then the projected 12 months is substantially down from the two years it used to take.

i live in canada... i will be applying soon within end of april

i see we cannot apply the WORK permit until he gets the PR.

please provide advices and suggestions.
Once your partner gets PR, he doesn't need a work permit. PRs are allowed to work by default. If you are applying inland, you can apply for an open work permit at the same time, it normally takes 3-4 months to come through.

EDIT to add: In other posts you say your partner lives outside Canada. In that case, you must file an outland application, and your partner cannot get a work permit while they wait (based on the spousal application - they could get another type if they qualified for one).

COOL_DUDE_CANADA

Star Member
Jan 30, 2015
Bcboundboy said:
The new forms and timelines are only 3 months old. Nobody yet knows how long it will take. If you're talking about an inland application, then the projected 12 months is substantially down from the two years it used to take.

Once your partner gets PR, he doesn't need a work permit. PRs are allowed to work by default. If you are applying inland, you can apply for an open work permit at the same time, it normally takes 3-4 months to come through.

EDIT to add: In other posts you say your partner lives outside Canada. In that case, you must file an outland application, and your partner cannot get a work permit while they wait (based on the spousal application - they could get another type if they qualified for one).
thanks for responding.
YES spouse resides outside canada.
i live in canada.
when i file PR sponsorship application, while he waits for it can he get any WORK permit- u have mentioned they could get another type??

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
Someone outside Canada can apply for a work permit, regardless of their having applied for permanent residency.

For example, if they come from a country with an IEC agreement & meet the requirements, they can get that permit. Or if an employer wants to hire them and has a Labour Market Impact Assessment, they can get that permit.

A person can only apply for a spousal open work permit while they wait for spousal PR to come through if they are inside Canada, and filing an inland application.

jaymehta26

Jan 9, 2017
Hey guys, here is an update of my application. What are your thoughts on my timeline so far and for the remaining application process?

Jan 19 - Application sent
Jan 24 - Application received
Feb 2 - Application linked to MyCIC (GCKey)
Feb 9 - Started working on the application. I'm now able to view status on ECAS using file # or sponsor's client ID
Feb 14 - CIC asked to submit IMM 5490, sent on the same day and also sent through mail to Mississauga, just in case
March 7 - PA gets an update on MyCIC requesting for medicals
March 10 - Got sponsor approval. File sent to London VO
March 22 - Medicals submitted and received as per MyCIC
March 24 - Medicals approved

Thanks!
Jay

eadams

Nov 29, 2016
Hello

I submitted my application on 7 March 2017 in Canada application. Application was received on 7 March 2017. I received sms to verify that it was received.

I received email to say application is in process and to link my account online on 23 March 2017. So it only took about 2 weeks to receive that email.

Hopefully the rest of the application can go this quickly.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get first stage approval so that i can apply for OWP online?

CanadianZenGirl

Jan 24, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
File Transfer...
10-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
eadams said:
Hello

I submitted my application on 7 March 2017 in Canada application. Application was received on 7 March 2017. I received sms to verify that it was received.

I received email to say application is in process and to link my account online on 23 March 2017. So it only took about 2 weeks to receive that email.

Hopefully the rest of the application can go this quickly.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get first stage approval so that i can apply for OWP online?
You would probably get a better sense of the current timelines in the thread for March applicants.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/march-2017-outland-spousal-applicant-t476777.0.html

Oh, I just noticed you want to apply for a work permit. Are you an inland applicant then? There is a thread for 2017 inland applicants. I think the process takes a bit longer for them.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-inland-applications-2017-timeline-and-updates-t468962.0.html

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
COPR delivered today. 8)

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
Staunts2015 said:
Congratulations! When/where do you plan on landing?
Thank you! Can't believe it was so fast honestly. Very excited to finally start living together.

Well it was delivered to my wife up in Canada. Her landlord needed my COPR before I can be officially added to the lease so on Wednesday I was going to head up and make her a copy of it so she can put it in her file, and then I was going to land in 2 weeks (April 6th is what we were planning for).

We live right by WA/Canada border and I cross 2-3 times a week as it is so I was going to just bring the paperwork back down with me and then land at the Peace Arch border crossing.

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
barch88 said:
Thank you! Can't believe it was so fast honestly. Very excited to finally start living together.

Well it was delivered to my wife up in Canada. Her landlord needed my COPR before I can be officially added to the lease so on Wednesday I was going to head up and make her a copy of it so she can put it in her file, and then I was going to land in 2 weeks (April 6th is what we were planning for).

We live right by WA/Canada border and I cross 2-3 times a week as it is so I was going to just bring the paperwork back down with me and then land at the Peace Arch border crossing.
Exciting! That's where I plan to land. Let us know how it goes ;D

startup

Oct 9, 2016
Anything from NDVO...I think NDVO is slowest Visa Office. Does anyone recieved anything from NDVO. Please share your views/news.

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
Staunts2015 said:
Exciting! That's where I plan to land. Let us know how it goes ;D
I just landed today actually. Picked up COPR and decided to just land and complete the process since my wives landlord needed my SIN # for the lease paperwork, can't get that without landing. I had to leave Canada and re-enter (or I suppose if you had it mailed elsewhere this wouldn't apply). Then told the agent I was landing, they brought me inside and asked me some questions, confirmed I hadn't been arrested, etc. and then gave me a form for goods to follow list (wasn't moving anything in today), some other paperwork for my car and sent me on my way. They didn't let me leave without giving me a little Canadian flag either :)

It was late so tomorrow I'm going to get my SIN, etc. Best of luck with your application and thanks to everyone for the help.

icewizard

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
Paris, France
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris, France
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2017
AOR Received.
25-01-2017
Med's Request
N/A - Upfront
Med's Done....
03-12-2016
Passport Req..
06-04-2017
barch88 said:
I just landed today actually. Picked up COPR and decided to just land and complete the process since my wives landlord needed my SIN # for the lease paperwork, can't get that without landing. I had to leave Canada and re-enter (or I suppose if you had it mailed elsewhere this wouldn't apply). Then told the agent I was landing, they brought me inside and asked me some questions, confirmed I hadn't been arrested, etc. and then gave me a form for goods to follow list (wasn't moving anything in today), some other paperwork for my car and sent me on my way. They didn't let me leave without giving me a little Canadian flag either :)

It was late so tomorrow I'm going to get my SIN, etc. Best of luck with your application and thanks to everyone for the help.
Congratulations! Very happy for you. Wish you a beautiful and easy life from now on. Easy work for applications from US.

jaymehta26

Jan 9, 2017
Any suggestions?

jaymehta26 said:
Hey guys, here is an update of my application. What are your thoughts on my timeline so far and for the remaining application process?

Jan 19 - Application sent
Jan 24 - Application received
Feb 2 - Application linked to MyCIC (GCKey)
Feb 9 - Started working on the application. I'm now able to view status on ECAS using file # or sponsor's client ID
Feb 14 - CIC asked to submit IMM 5490, sent on the same day and also sent through mail to Mississauga, just in case
March 7 - PA gets an update on MyCIC requesting for medicals
March 10 - Got sponsor approval. File sent to London VO
March 22 - Medicals submitted and received as per MyCIC
March 24 - Medicals approved

Thanks!
Jay