+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Jamaican boyfriend in Canada on work Visa.

Katy242

Aug 16, 2019
Hi I have a few questions,
My boyfriend is currently in Ontario Canada on a work visa. We have been together for three years and are looking to get married in the next year and gave him be able to stay in Canada. We plan for him to go home this winter for the usual 4 months and then to come back on the work visa, once he does that what steps should we take for him to be able to stay in canada so we can marry and then get him off the farm work visa that he is on and be able to get him a different job all while working on the spousal visa? Is there a way that we would be able to do all of this and he could still work or do we have to go through a time where he could not work?
We have been looking into this for a while but just need some hard answers to some questions we have.
He has two daughters in Jamaica that we would want to bring over within the next 5 years but not right away, will this also affect the application?
Any help any one can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Sarahannclarke5

Sep 19, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
Him bringing his daughters wont affect the app.
When he comes back, get married, like asap. Then do an inland application (apply for open work permit). When he gets that, he will be able to work whole the application is being worked on. Right now its about 9 months from start to finish (keep in mind everyones app is different).

Katy242

Aug 16, 2019
Will he be able to get a different job at that time or have to stay working where he is at?
I've heard we have to have joint accounts and so much stuff like that as well is that true?
Do you suggest paying a lawyer for all of this?

Him bringing his daughters wont affect the app.
When he comes back, get married, like asap. Then do an inland application (apply for open work permit). When he gets that, he will be able to work whole the application is being worked on. Right now its about 9 months from start to finish (keep in mind everyones app is different).

Sarahannclarke5

Sep 19, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
Will he be able to get a different job at that time or have to stay working where he is at?
I've heard we have to have joint accounts and so much stuff like that as well is that true?
Do you suggest paying a lawyer for all of this?
I wouldnt suggest a lawyer for this scenario. This forum is VERY helpful with questions you may have. In my opinion, lawyers are a waste of money for applications that are not so complicated.
So, when he leaves the farm AFTER you are married and you submit an inland app, you apply for an open work permit, and he can work anywhere. Its smart to have a joint bank account. If you guys can get married as soon as he gets here, then do the inland app with owp he should have that by the time his original work permit is expired. It takes about 4 months to get an open work permit, so do it asap. If that expires first (if you dont get married asap and send in app) you will need to pay to reinstate his status. Heres a tip, he should get another police clearance not long before he comes. He has a choice of service level (next day-kingston only i believe, 3 day or 7 day pick up). Its not always necessary BUT if you do end up needing it, atleast you have it.

Katy242

Aug 16, 2019
Ok thanks, that's so helpful.
After we are married if he leaves the farm right away and apply for the open work permit does he have to wait until that's cleared (the 4 months) to get another job? Or as soon as your apply for the open permit would he be able to start a new job?

I wouldnt suggest a lawyer for this scenario. This forum is VERY helpful with questions you may have. In my opinion, lawyers are a waste of money for applications that are not so complicated.
So, when he leaves the farm AFTER you are married and you submit an inland app, you apply for an open work permit, and he can work anywhere. Its smart to have a joint bank account. If you guys can get married as soon as he gets here, then do the inland app with owp he should have that by the time his original work permit is expired. It takes about 4 months to get an open work permit, so do it asap. If that expires first (if you dont get married asap and send in app) you will need to pay to reinstate his status. Heres a tip, he should get another police clearance not long before he comes. He has a choice of service level (next day-kingston only i believe, 3 day or 7 day pick up). Its not always necessary BUT if you do end up needing it, atleast you have it.

Sarahannclarke5

Sep 19, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
Ok thanks, that's so helpful.
After we are married if he leaves the farm right away and apply for the open work permit does he have to wait until that's cleared (the 4 months) to get another job? Or as soon as your apply for the open permit would he be able to start a new job?
He has to wait until he gets it. You can apply before he leaves the farm! As soon as you get your marriage certificate you can apply. You should start preparing the documents you need (pics etc) from now.