+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I've got a few questions as I am in a unique situation

yuniyun

Jan 16, 2018
Hello everyone, I am a registered practical nurse working at a private nursing facility in Canada providing care to both Canadians and non-Canadians. I am on the 3 year Post Graduate Work Permit. I attended a public college for nursing for 2 years in Toronto. The place is owned by an american company and managed by a Canadian company and invested by a local shareholders. I work here as a permanent part time employee and I've got a few questions in regards to the express entry eligibility.

Does CIC consider the work experience Canadian Experience or a foreign experience as the owner is american based but managers and investors are Canadian. This is a big problem for me because if I continue to work at this place but if it is not recognized as Canadian experience it is a loss of points in Express Entry.

Now when it comes to counting part time hours of work in a week.. I work 3 shifts (7.5 hours each .5h is unpaid break) in a week that change quite a bit week to week. So depending on when the actual beginning of week and the end of week is messes up the calculation. I was wondering if there is any set guideline as to how to count the actual duration of a week period. (Is it Monday to Sunday? Is it your pay day to the next pay day?). Just so you know, I get paid bi-weekly.

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
Hello everyone, I am a registered practical nurse working at a private nursing facility in Canada providing care to both Canadians and non-Canadians. I am on the 3 year Post Graduate Work Permit. I attended a public college for nursing for 2 years in Toronto. The place is owned by an american company and managed by a Canadian company and invested by a local shareholders. I work here as a permanent part time employee and I've got a few questions in regards to the express entry eligibility.

Does CIC consider the work experience Canadian Experience or a foreign experience as the owner is american based but managers and investors are Canadian. This is a big problem for me because if I continue to work at this place but if it is not recognized as Canadian experience it is a loss of points in Express Entry.

Now when it comes to counting part time hours of work in a week.. I work 3 shifts (7.5 hours each .5h is unpaid break) in a week that change quite a bit week to week. So depending on when the actual beginning of week and the end of week is messes up the calculation. I was wondering if there is any set guideline as to how to count the actual duration of a week period. (Is it Monday to Sunday? Is it your pay day to the next pay day?). Just so you know, I get paid bi-weekly.
You should be fine about the employer as it's in Canada. For example, Fairleigh Dickinson University is american, but one can still get PGWP if one studies at Vancouver campus.

What do you mean by "change quite a bit"? If it's always 3 shifts of 7.5h, no matter which days of the week, you could get a reference letter stating that. Then maybe attach payslips, which shows hours biweekly. That should work fine. IMHO

You also have to work extra 18 weeks to get to 1560 hours.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Your work weeks are based on your pay period cut-off, as set by your employer.