+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I've been working remotely for 2 years at a canadian company, does this make it easier to get the work permit?

mirouhml

Sep 15, 2022
Hello,

Sorry for the long title I wanted to give an overview of what I am going to ask about, also I hope I am not posting in the wrong forum.

So as I said I've been working remotely for more than 2 years now at a Canadian company, recently the company wanted to help me go to Canada since I've always wanted to go there, so they asked if I am interested, after researching it seems that they'll need to get me the LMIA document, so I can apply for a work permit, so I mentioned that to them they are still looking into it, I wanted to do research from my side to know more about this and to see if it's even possible for them to get that document for me.

So a little bit of background, I am a Software Engineer with more than 4 years of experience, the company I am working at, had issues before with several software engineers, they hired several ones before but they weren't satisfied with their work, that's how I came upon this company, I helped them build their current website and they were satisfied with the result, so this brings me to my question, is working 2 years remotely for them plus the fact that I mentioned before about them not finding good software engineers work with them, good enough to get me the LMIA document?

Thanks in advance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

Sorry for the long title I wanted to give an overview of what I am going to ask about, also I hope I am not posting in the wrong forum.

So as I said I've been working remotely for more than 2 years now at a Canadian company, recently the company wanted to help me go to Canada since I've always wanted to go there, so they asked if I am interested, after researching it seems that they'll need to get me the LMIA document, so I can apply for a work permit, so I mentioned that to them they are still looking into it, I wanted to do research from my side to know more about this and to see if it's even possible for them to get that document for me.

So a little bit of background, I am a Software Engineer with more than 4 years of experience, the company I am working at, had issues before with several software engineers, they hired several ones before but they weren't satisfied with their work, that's how I came upon this company, I helped them build their current website and they were satisfied with the result, so this brings me to my question, is working 2 years remotely for them plus the fact that I mentioned before about them not finding good software engineers work with them, good enough to get me the LMIA document?

Thanks in advance.
The employer has to prove they can’t hire anyone in Canada who is a citizen, PR or work authorization. First, they need to post your job in Canada with a median salary for the NOC. They need to do it now before applying for a LMIA. Your working for the company has no bearing for an approved LMIA.

yay_321

Jun 15, 2019
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/hire-temporary-foreign/find-need-labour-market-impact-assessment.html#get

Here is more info about LMIA. The only problem I see is, the company may not want to go through the lengthy and pricy process. Ask them to do a intra company transfer that is easy and quick which will ultimately lead to PR (after you accumulate enough points).

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/hire-temporary-foreign/find-need-labour-market-impact-assessment.html#get

Here is more info about LMIA. The only problem I see is, the company may not want to go through the lengthy and pricy process. Ask them to do a intra company transfer that is easy and quick which will ultimately lead to PR (after you accumulate enough points).
Intra Company transfer is only an option if the OP works in the Canadian company’s foreign office. So the company has to have an office in OP’s country. OP is working remotely so most likely not eligible for an ICT.

Reactions: yay_321

mirouhml

Sep 15, 2022
Intra Company transfer is only an option if the OP works in the Canadian company’s foreign office. So the company has to have an office in OP’s country. OP is working remotely so most likely not eligible for an ICT.
So I guess obtaining the LMIA is the only possible way to approach this right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay then, are there any cases where they can reject the employer's request to obtain the LMIA?
Yes. Not all LMIAs are approved.

Reactions: YVR123