+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Items/Packages Declaration! Friends, please share your experience and knowledge! Help needed!

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Hi, I have some questions regards CBSA Declaration Card and Baggage Declaration.

1) On the CBSA Declaration card, I wonder what home address I should fill in. Canada address, which is where I am going to stay at, or my home country address? In my situation, it is really confused me to fill this part, as I'm an international student and have lived in the U.S. for 4 years. U.S. address is what I used to fill out the application for my study permit and LOA. So I have 3 options here: Canadian address, U.S. address, and my home country address. Which one makes sense the most in my case?

2) I will have my mom come with me to Canada. She will arrive under the tor visa. We will fly on the same flight. I plan to buy 2 checked bags under my name, 1 checked bag under my mom's name, but all the checked bags carry my stuff. this will save me some money on the packages.
The question is: can the checked bag under my mom's name stay in Canada?
I have read some info about visitors, and it is said that when leaving, visitors can't leave their items in Canada. They have to leave with their items, and there might be a security deposit to ensure this. If the items are left in Canada, they may be charged duties and taxes and the visitors may get in trouble. Is this true or am I understanding it right?
Buying 3 checked bags are expensive, and it would be great if I can buy 1 more checked bag under her name and have more stuff packed.

3) If I ship stuff via FedEx/UPS, I have to check "Yes" for the question about unaccompanied stuff?

Friends, I really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi, I have some questions regards CBSA Declaration Card and Baggage Declaration.

1) On the CBSA Declaration card, I wonder what home address I should fill in. Canada address, which is where I am going to stay at, or my home country address? In my situation, it is really confused me to fill this part, as I'm an international student and have lived in the U.S. for 4 years. U.S. address is what I used to fill out the application for my study permit and LOA. So I have 3 options here: Canadian address, U.S. address, and my home country address. Which one makes sense the most in my case?

2) I will have my mom come with me to Canada. She will arrive under the tor visa. We will fly on the same flight. I plan to buy 2 checked bags under my name, 1 checked bag under my mom's name, but all the checked bags carry my stuff. this will save me some money on the packages.
The question is: can the checked bag under my mom's name stay in Canada?
I have read some info about visitors, and it is said that when leaving, visitors can't leave their items in Canada. They have to leave with their items, and there might be a security deposit to ensure this. If the items are left in Canada, they may be charged duties and taxes and the visitors may get in trouble. Is this true or am I understanding it right?
Buying 3 checked bags are expensive, and it would be great if I can buy 1 more checked bag under her name and have more stuff packed.

3) If I ship stuff via FedEx/UPS, I have to check "Yes" for the question about unaccompanied stuff?

Friends, I really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance.

1) Are you or your family still there in the U.S address ? If so then use that, otherwise use your home country address.

2) it is normal for family to pack their belongings together. During your first landing both you and your mother will have the same exemption limits. It should not be an issue, but If you want to play it safe, you can either ship the third bag later or buy a third bag in your name.

3) Yes.