+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ITA Received 22 Feb - Change in Nationality

aries2203

Feb 23, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for reading this post and providing your valuable comments.
I have been invited to apply for Express Entry to Canada yesterday (22/Feb/2017) but I am in a weird situation due to my current nationality status. I am an Indian passport holder, currently residing in the UK with an Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. I used my current nationality while creating the Express Entry profile but I will be eligible to apply for a British passport in May 2017. The process for getting a British passport will take around 3-5 months. My confusion is what should I do in this situation - should I proceed with the ITA using my Indian passport details and wait until I get the Canadian PR to apply for British passport? In that scenario, would it be possible to transfer the Canada PR to my new passport later as India does not allow dual citizenship and I will have to surrender my Indian passport as soon as I get my British passport?
Or should I start the British passport process while Canadian PR is being processed (I can apply with ITA in May 2017 and would receive the British passport while the Canadian PR documents are being processed) and then is there a way to inform the Canadian IRCC regarding the change in my nationality?
Apologies for a detailed post but I am really stressed out being in this scenario and would appreciate any suggestions / advise.

Thanks

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
If you wait for British passport, you will miss the deadline. You can continue with the Indian passport and once you get your PR, do a soft landing with the Indian passport, come back to the UK and apply for British passport. There is no PR sticker. There is a PR card that is mailed to a Canadian address. The process of getting the British passport is long cos you have to attend the ceremony, wait for the passport then surrender your Indian passport within 3 months and apply for OCI.

You can always notify CIC using a CSE but if you get PPR and have to send a passport within 30 days, you might not have any passport with you.

Reactions: aries2203

aries2203

Feb 23, 2017
Thanks xpressentry
Would change in nationality after getting the PR Card affect my re-entry to Canada later with my British passport? I believe that the PR Card does have details on your nationality.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
You can always amend it anytime you wish. You need to decide the logistics. If you receive PPR and for some reason there is a backlog in getting your passport. You become a British citizen once you take the oath and then apply for the passport. You need to surrender your Indian passport with 3 months of taking the oath. You will need a passport to hand to CIC within 30 days of receiving PPR unless you can successfully extend the deadline.

Reactions: aries2203