+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ITA For PR Received Under Wrong Program

peter92

Mar 7, 2023
Hey guys! I'm not sure if anyone's heard about this, but there was a glitch on IRCC's end after the implementation of the new NOC codes, rendering some applicants eligible for the CEC even if they did not meet the program's requirements. Please click here for more info: https://www.cicnews.com/2022/12/ircc-confirms-it-glitch-affecting-express-entry-candidates-1232210.html

Unfortunately, the same thing happened to me; I was applying for the FSW program from inside Canada—with 3 years of skilled work experience in my home country—but received an ITA under the CEC in the November 23 draw. As I only had 10 months of skilled Canadian work experience at the time I received the invitation, I was clearly not eligible for the CEC. However, due to the glitch, the system determined I was eligible for the CEC as well. I want to emphasize that I did not get any points for my Canadian work experience, so it should be obvious that that's not the program I intended to apply for.

I decided to go ahead and submit my application in the hope they would also review my eligibility for the FSW program, but I'm a bit worried because IRCC states the following on their website: ''A candidate cannot apply under a class other than the one specified in their ITA, even when the candidate appears to be eligible for multiple classes.'' However, this wasn't my choice, but an error on the part of IRCC and their system that issued the invitation under the wrong program in error. As per the article above, it appears that IRCC is aware of this error, but I couldn't find any information as to how such applications will be assessed.

Any thoughts on this? It's such a puzzling and frustrating situation. I'm hoping the officers will carefully review eligibility for each program and not just reject the application right away, especially if it's the result of an error in their own system. Would you call IRCC to see what they have to say about that, just for peace of mind, or would you just wait for them to process the application, which can take 6 months or even longer and lead to rejection? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Jul 23, 2021
Hey guys! I'm not sure if anyone's heard about this, but there was a glitch on IRCC's end after the implementation of the new NOC codes, rendering some applicants eligible for the CEC even if they did not meet the program's requirements. Please click here for more info: https://www.cicnews.com/2022/12/ircc-confirms-it-glitch-affecting-express-entry-candidates-1232210.html

Unfortunately, the same thing happened to me; I was applying for the FSW program from inside Canada—with 3 years of skilled work experience in my home country—but received an ITA under the CEC in the November 23 draw. As I only had 10 months of skilled Canadian work experience at the time I received the invitation, I was clearly not eligible for the CEC. However, due to the glitch, the system determined I was eligible for the CEC as well. I want to emphasize that I did not get any points for my Canadian work experience, so it should be obvious that that's not the program I intended to apply for.

I decided to go ahead and submit my application in the hope they would also review my eligibility for the FSW program, but I'm a bit worried because IRCC states the following on their website: ''A candidate cannot apply under a class other than the one specified in their ITA, even when the candidate appears to be eligible for multiple classes.'' However, this wasn't my choice, but an error on the part of IRCC and their system that issued the invitation under the wrong program in error. As per the article above, it appears that IRCC is aware of this error, but I couldn't find any information as to how such applications will be assessed.

Any thoughts on this? It's such a puzzling and frustrating situation. I'm hoping the officers will carefully review eligibility for each program and not just reject the application right away, especially if it's the result of an error in their own system. Would you call IRCC to see what they have to say about that, just for peace of mind, or would you just wait for them to process the application, which can take 6 months or even longer and lead to rejection? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Hey, I am in the same situation. I just received the request letter from IRCC yesterday with further information and some options.
1. Have my file assessed under FSW Program
2. Continue with CEC which likely will be administratively withdrawed by Visa Officer
3. Withdraw the current application and submit a fresh new one.

I have planned to go ahead with the 1st Option and also added PoF on the same response letter.