+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ITA-Application process-Documents required PLEASE HELP

zenfats

Nov 19, 2015
Hi, everyone,

Even though I am new to this forum, I have previously read numerous posts to gain a better understanding of the application process. One of my main and biggest concerns is that the CIC page does not fully explain the document requirements in detail due to which there is some degree of uncertainty during this whole application process. I am the principal applicant and am in the process of collecting documents that need to be submitted for the PR application. I have a multiple queries that I would like to clarify (or may be i am looking for reassurance :) ) I hope to get some responses. So, here goes....

1) Q: Can we scan the original documents and upload them online the CIC portal? OR do we need to submit certified/notarized copies?

2) Passports/Travel Documents (Multiple): My application status uses the term 'multiple.' However, the online description says please upload copy of valid passport.
Q: Do i need to submit all previous passports that i have held OR Will the current valid passport suffice? Also, do we need to scan all pages of the passport or just the stamped ones?

3) Employment Records:

a) I have managed to get experience letter from my current employer, however, the salary and benefits information is not mentioned on the letter (HR said they cannot provide this information). I do have separate letters (appointment letter, appraisal letters) that mention the salary breakup and benefits provided by the company. I have also attached additional documents like pay slips and PF letters to be safe.
Q: Is it acceptable to have salary and benefits information in a separate letter or does everything need to be on one letter?

b) My previous employer letters have the necessary information (job duties, number of hours worked etc.) However, there are two problems:
---One employer letter is old (dated 2010) and the HR policy has changed due to which experience letters are no longer provided. I am using the old reference letters that I have along with the work contract and pay slips.
Q: Are these documents acceptable or do i need to provide a self affidavit stating my job duties. OR should i provide this explanation along with the application?
---The other employer experience letter is not on the company letter head (the company's name has changed due to which the letter head cannot be provided). However, the letter has the company's stamp. I do not have any additional documents to go with this employment (pay slips etc.)
Q) Will the experience letter on a plain paper along with the company's stamp be enough?OR do i need to provide a self affidavit stating my job duties OR should i provide this explanation along with the application?

c) Spouse's employment records: My husband is unable to get experience letters from his current and previous employer (HR policy :(). For this reason, we are planning to provide self affidavits (notarized) that explain the job duties, appointment letters, appraisal/review letters, pay slips, gratuity settlement, Income tax papers, and PF letter.
Q: Will this be acceptable by the CIC? OR is there anything else we need to provide?

4) Police Certificates (Multiple): For myself, I will need multiple police certificates, for the two countries (India and UK) that I have lived in during the last ten years. However, my husband has lived in India all his life.
Q: Do we need to provide a Police certificate for each locality/city that we have lived in? OR will one certificate for India be enough? We have moved three times in the last four years and i am worried that the CIC will expect a police certificate for each address within the same country. The CIC page says 'for each country or territory.' What does the term territory mean??

Proof of medical exam (required): We got the medicals done and the doctor gave us two printouts that mention a reference number for e-medical.
Q: Is this printout enough as medical proof. From what I know, the panel physician is supposed to directly send the reports to CIC. I wanted to check if any additional document is required here (apart from the e-medical printout).

6) Financial information: Finally, the main aspect of the application --Proof of funds. The CIC does not clearly mention the format of the letter. My bank has said that it cannot provide an average balance for 6 months. Their letter will only state the current balance and i can provide the bank statement with this letter. I also have a home loan (mortgage) and will be providing the loan statements in the application. However, i am unsure of the format for the financial documents. As of now, I have attached scanned copies of the bank letters, bank statements, and loan statements in a WORD document.
Q: What documents are ideally needed as proof of funds AND How do we explain the financial breakup (Assets/liabilities/settlement funds). Does CIC expect any additional documents other than bank statements/ bank letters/ loan statement. I have not done the property evaluation so i am wondering if my financial information is adequate for CIC.

7) Do we need to send hard copies of the documents and application form to CIC via courier after submitting it online?

I am sorry for writing such a long note, and i am sure you have come across these questions in the past. However, i would appreciate if you guys could answer my questions. Since, my husband and i are working on the application on our own (without lawyers, agents) we wanted to be certain that we have provided enough information before submitting the documents and paying the fees.

Regards,
Zen

Reactions: nadirakazi

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi, everyone,

Even though I am new to this forum, I have previously read numerous posts to gain a better understanding of the application process. One of my main and biggest concerns is that the CIC page does not fully explain the document requirements in detail due to which there is some degree of uncertainty during this whole application process. I am the principal applicant and am in the process of collecting documents that need to be submitted for the PR application. I have a multiple queries that I would like to clarify (or may be i am looking for reassurance :) ) I hope to get some responses. So, here goes....

1) Q: Can we scan the original documents and upload them online the CIC portal? OR do we need to submit certified/notarized copies?

As long as your documents are in either English or French, you can upload scanned copy of originals. If your documents are translated, you must provide a notarized copy of the translation along with the original document.

2) Passports/Travel Documents (Multiple): My application status uses the term 'multiple.' However, the online description says please upload copy of valid passport.
Q: Do i need to submit all previous passports that i have held OR Will the current valid passport suffice? Also, do we need to scan all pages of the passport or just the stamped ones?

Usually, the biographic page of the current passport will suffice UNLESS AND OTHERWISE SPECIFIED specified in the instructions in your post-ITA application.

3) Employment Records:

a) I have managed to get experience letter from my current employer, however, the salary and benefits information is not mentioned on the letter (HR said they cannot provide this information). I do have separate letters (appointment letter, appraisal letters) that mention the salary breakup and benefits provided by the company. I have also attached additional documents like pay slips and PF letters to be safe.
Q: Is it acceptable to have salary and benefits information in a separate letter or does everything need to be on one letter?

Separate letter should work. Just make sure you get it from the company in writing that they do not provide this information on the letter.

b) My previous employer letters have the necessary information (job duties, number of hours worked etc.) However, there are two problems:
---One employer letter is old (dated 2010) and the HR policy has changed due to which experience letters are no longer provided. I am using the old reference letters that I have along with the work contract and pay slips.

Q: Are these documents acceptable or do i need to provide a self affidavit stating my job duties. OR should i provide this explanation along with the application?

The reference letters from Ex-Employers are valid indefinitely if they were issued at the time of leaving or after you left the company. So, you are good to go.

---The other employer experience letter is not on the company letter head (the company's name has changed due to which the letter head cannot be provided). However, the letter has the company's stamp. I do not have any additional documents to go with this employment (pay slips etc.)
Q) Will the experience letter on a plain paper along with the company's stamp be enough?OR do i need to provide a self affidavit stating my job duties OR should i provide this explanation along with the application?

If you are claiming points for this job, then keep it in the employment section otherwise kick it out.

If you are claiming points for this job, then you can submit whatever documents you have. Try to contact an ex-colleague who would be ready to sign a reference letter for you. Attach his business card/Employee ID card.

If no one is ready to sign a letter, then, as a last resort, you can consider signing a self affidavit.

Either way, attach a Letter of Explanation that explains your situation.

c) Spouse's employment records: My husband is unable to get experience letters from his current and previous employer (HR policy :(). For this reason, we are planning to provide self affidavits (notarized) that explain the job duties, appointment letters, appraisal/review letters, pay slips, gratuity settlement, Income tax papers, and PF letter.
Q: Will this be acceptable by the CIC? OR is there anything else we need to provide?

Who is the primary applicant? If you are the primary applicant, your husband does not need to provide reference letters because the secondary applicant's work experience does not count if it was not obtained in Canada. Or if your husband is the primary applicant, then you need not get the letters.

As already mentioned, self-affidavit should be the last resort. He can try asking a colleague to sign a letter (as explained above).

4) Police Certificates (Multiple): For myself, I will need multiple police certificates, for the two countries (India and UK) that I have lived in during the last ten years. However, my husband has lived in India all his life.
Q: Do we need to provide a Police certificate for each locality/city that we have lived in? OR will one certificate for India be enough? We have moved three times in the last four years and i am worried that the CIC will expect a police certificate for each address within the same country. The CIC page says 'for each country or territory.' What does the term territory mean??

One Country, One PCC. Don't worry.

Proof of medical exam (required): We got the medicals done and the doctor gave us two printouts that mention a reference number for e-medical.
Q: Is this printout enough as medical proof. From what I know, the panel physician is supposed to directly send the reports to CIC. I wanted to check if any additional document is required here (apart from the e-medical printout).

You will be given a form after the medical exam. You need to upload it as a part of the pot-ITA documentation. Your test results will be directly sent to CIC by the DMP through e-medical.

6) Financial information: Finally, the main aspect of the application --Proof of funds. The CIC does not clearly mention the format of the letter. My bank has said that it cannot provide an average balance for 6 months. Their letter will only state the current balance and i can provide the bank statement with this letter. I also have a home loan (mortgage) and will be providing the loan statements in the application. However, i am unsure of the format for the financial documents. As of now, I have attached scanned copies of the bank letters, bank statements, and loan statements in a WORD document.
Q: What documents are ideally needed as proof of funds AND How do we explain the financial breakup (Assets/liabilities/settlement funds). Does CIC expect any additional documents other than bank statements/ bank letters/ loan statement. I have not done the property evaluation so i am wondering if my financial information is adequate for CIC.

Well, it is sufficient if your bank letter contains the following information :
Name
Date of opening
Current Balance
Canadian equivalent (optional)

You can submit 6 months statements stamped by the bank.

Well, people usually do NOT showcase the liabilities they have because CIC does not allow you to showcase the asset tied to the liability. Not all VOs accept property evaluations (I think London Visa Office still allows it; New Delhi Visa Office doesn't allow it, I think). What I mean is, if you have a mortgage, then CIC does not allow you to add your house as an asset. Hence, most people will become ineligible because of this weird requirement.

If you show liabilities, then (Assets/Funds minus Liabilities) must be >= LICO (Low Income Cutoff ;according to the number of family members).

You need to have this all in one PDF before you can upload it.

7) Do we need to send hard copies of the documents and application form to CIC via courier after submitting it online?

No. Everything is online.

I am sorry for writing such a long note, and i am sure you have come across these questions in the past. However, i would appreciate if you guys could answer my questions. Since, my husband and i are working on the application on our own (without lawyers, agents) we wanted to be certain that we have provided enough information before submitting the documents and paying the fees.

Regards,
Zen

Reactions: nadirakazi

zenfats

Nov 19, 2015
Hi, Rajkamalmohanram,

Thank you for answering my queries. To answer your question, i am the principal applicant.

Could you please elaborate on the Proof of Funds aspect of the application?

Is it advisable to submit only the bank statements and PF statements as Proof of Funds (Liquid)? I read that CIC does not consider assets as proof of funds (car, house, jewelry, etc.).

However, my bank statement shows monthly deductions of the Mortgage (loan) amount. Hence, i thought CIC would want a copy of the loan details. I was worried that they will consider the application incomplete if the additional loan details have not been mentioned (i tend to get worked up about every small detail :(). But if that is not the case, then i can remove the loan statement from the document.

Please advise.

Thank you for your time :)

Regards,
Zen

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
zenfats said:
Hi, Rajkamalmohanram,

Thank you for answering my queries. To answer your question, i am the principal applicant.

You are welcome!

Could you please elaborate on the Proof of Funds aspect of the application?

Is it advisable to submit only the bank statements and PF statements as Proof of Funds (Liquid)? I read that CIC does not consider assets as proof of funds (car, house, jewelry, etc.).

Yes, your POF must be liquid. Bank balance, FD deposits and Employer's Provident Fund (at least for Indian Applicants) is acceptable. I confirmed this EPF thing from NDVO. Car, jewels are not acceptable, IMO. Property valuations are not accepted by all the VOs.

However, my bank statement shows monthly deductions of the Mortgage (loan) amount. Hence, i thought CIC would want a copy of the loan details. I was worried that they will consider the application incomplete if the additional loan details have not been mentioned (i tend to get worked up about every small detail :(). But if that is not the case, then i can remove the loan statement from the document.

Well, if the amount after subtracting liabilities from the total available liquid funds is greater than or equal to the amount present here --> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp (depending on the number of family members), you can show your liability.

Please advise.

Thank you for your time :)

Regards,
Zen

zenfats

Nov 19, 2015
Unfortunately, the amount after subtracting liabilities from the total available liquid funds is negative :( (i am freaking out now). I think i will share the bank account details for now along with the PF information. The CIC can get back to us if they need additional information on the loan. Do you think that will work?

Once again, apologies for bugging you with so many questions.

Regards,
Zen

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
zenfats said:
Unfortunately, the amount after subtracting liabilities from the total available liquid funds is negative :( (i am freaking out now). I think i will share the bank account details for now along with the PF information. The CIC can get back to us if they need additional information on the loan. Do you think that will work?

Regards,
Zen
Well, that should work! You can take an opinion from other serious members too!

Good luck!

klyn

Apr 20, 2017

Regards,
Zen
Hi,
I have similar problem now, can you please tell me what happened in your case?
Did it work out? or did CIC ask you for bank statement also (which would have EMI deductions for mortgage)?