Interview........
Hopfully No
Passport Req..
4-March-2014
VISA ISSUED...
In 9 Months
LANDED..........
Hopefully in June
I have created this thread to understand the requirements in Canada IT Market and what steps should we take before we land there to hunt for jobs.

Please share your thoughts on

1. Certifications Demand - Which Certificate Hold Good value ( MCSE . CCNP, VCP etc - )
2. Best places for IT skills ( Cities, less populated areas )
3. Expected Salary
4. What salary should we be ideally asking
5. Best Job Sites
6. Professional networking
7. Professional attire

Request all to share your thoughts . Would be great if we get lot of feedback from engineers who are there in Canada

mr.gk

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Some people advise to enroll in a Master program so all the issues related to certificates/Canadian experience will be resolved automatically.

iamdare

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
@ Adisu01 Nice idea. I am very interested in the information that will be potentially shared on this thread because i'm an IT professional too, and I need the info.

I know that the requirements will differ based on the aspect of IT one is specialized in, so please don't forget to mention your specialty or NOC.

hariskhan

Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mr.gk said:
Some people advise to enroll in a Master program so all the issues related to certificates/Canadian experience will be resolved automatically.
Please elaborate

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
IT and telecom fields are relatively easier to find a job in Canada compared to other fields.

Usually the employers don't ask for Canadian experience. Certification are not really important, the experience does matter.

I immigrated to Canada last year and was able to find a job in my domain, before the landing.

hariskhan

Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How ?

I note all avenues of finding jobs before landing to be closed. There may be ads for multiple jobs, yet there's never any response. I'v tried.

aircanada2014

Star Member
Aug 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2014
Doc's Request.
31-03-2015
AOR Received.
(PER) 20-10-2014
IELTS Request
7.5 sent with application
File Transfer...
17-10-2014
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
03-06-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2015
LANDED..........
09-30-2015
walmzd said:
IT and telecom fields are relatively easier to find a job in Canada compared to other fields.

Usually the employers don't ask for Canadian experience. Certification are not really important, the experience does matter.

I immigrated to Canada last year and was able to find a job in my domain, before the landing.
Hi, may I know where did you apply? Is it through online? I'm planning to apply and hopefully land a job before landing. :)

Thanks,

iamdare

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Walmzd, please elaborate more on your experience to help those of us yet to land. Thanks.

Modified...

@ Walmzd, I'm quoting (1) the comment you made above on this thread (2) a comment you made on another thread on Nov 5, 2014. Based on the facts you presented in the 2nd quote, I feel it is misleading if you tell people that certification is not really important and that employers don't usually ask for canadian experience without stating the uniqueness of your own case. However, I understand that you don't mean any harm. Thanks.

walmzd said:

walmzd said:
My experience considered ideal for so many people. Maybe not realistic in most of the cases.

The job was waiting for me before I landed. I managed to get an internal transfer in the company that I used to work in Dubai, to our headquarters in Canada.

So technically never searched for a job in Canada, never worked in surviver job and resumed working in my profession (Network Engineer) from day zero, with fairly good income.

The system here is new, everything is more organized than the middle east (Big Time), people are really nice and you can feel home from the very 1st day.

The Winter is really really really harsh. I consider this the main challenge in Canada.

Button line, the experience is very good in general, never regretted it and I don't think I will ever return back to my home country and leave Canada.

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
I used to work in multinational company in dubai before i came to canada. This gave a connection to explore available opportunities in our branch in Canada. though i had to complete a full interview and went through hiring process before I landed.

I consider my case unique compared to other fields, but with IT/telecom, almost all my friends working in the same domain found good jobs before landing (remotely) or after short time of landing. I know at least 10 people with similar cases. BUT most of them have really good experiences, working mainly with multinational vendor, like Cisco, Juniper, ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent. If you have a experience with one of the multinational vendor, it's fairly easy to find a good job with very short time. So, the experience is the most important factor!

Note: I have full time technical experience with 3 multinational vendors in the past 9 years

iamdare said:
Walmzd, please elaborate more on your experience to help those of us yet to land. Thanks.

Modified...

@ Walmzd, I'm quoting (1) the comment you made above on this thread (2) a comment you made on another thread on Nov 5, 2014. Based on the facts you presented in the 2nd quote, I feel it is misleading if you tell people that certification is not really important and that employers don't usually ask for canadian experience without stating the uniqueness of your own case. However, I understand that you don't mean any harm. Thanks.

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
Regarding the technical certifications, some networking lab certifications might be considered for their reputation, i.e CCIE & JNCIE, but other prometric/VUE based certifications are not really considered without decent experience.

walmzd said:
I used to work in multinational company in dubai before i came to canada. This gave a connection to explore available opportunities in our branch in Canada. though i had to complete a full interview and went through hiring process before I landed.

I consider my case unique compared to other fields, but with IT/telecom, almost all my friends working in the same domain found good jobs before landing (remotely) or after short time of landing. I know at least 10 people with similar cases. BUT most of them have really good experiences, working mainly with multinational vendor, like Cisco, Juniper, ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent. If you have a experience with one of the multinational vendor, it's fairly easy to find a good job with very short time. So, the experience is the most important factor!

Note: I have full time technical experience with 3 multinational vendors in the past 9 years

adisu01

Apr 28, 2014
Hyderabad
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-july-2014
Doc's Request.
Only passport copies and RPF requested
Nomination.....
12-nov-2014
IELTS Request
Completed - 6.5 Band
File Transfer...
No Update
Med's Request
10-jan-2014
Med's Done....
17-jan-2014
Interview........
Hopfully No
Passport Req..
4-March-2014
VISA ISSUED...
In 9 Months
LANDED..........
Hopefully in June
Thanks all for contributing your ideas, Could we come up with a list of famous job sites In canada ?

Thanks
adisu

perukulla

Star Member
Oct 24, 2014
bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-08-2014
AOR Received.
04-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-02-2015
Med's Request
28-02-2015
Med's Done....
15-03-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2015
LANDED..........
09-09-2015
can someone respond how is your experience of finding a job in telecom/networking fields in canada? what are the job sites or companies to look for?
what is the interview experience? will they consider if you apply before landing there? what is the format of resume to be prepared for applying for canadian companies? pls.....respond... i am from similar domain.

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
I remember that I applied for couple of jobs before, I guarantee my job. I was contacted from couple of them even before my landing, but all of them were confirming that I'm eligible to work in Canada.
The best sites to search for work are linkedin and indeed.ca

Regarding resume and interview, I believe nothing special related to canadian market.

The IP networking is in demand in Canada now a days, most of opportunities are in Ottawa, Toronto and Calgary. Again the most important factor is the experience, nobody will check your certificates or degrees!

perukulla said:
can someone respond how is your experience of finding a job in telecom/networking fields in canada? what are the job sites or companies to look for?
what is the interview experience? will they consider if you apply before landing there? what is the format of resume to be prepared for applying for canadian companies? pls.....respond... i am from similar domain.