+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IT Project Manager jobs

frenzie

Jan 6, 2010
Hello all,

I have received the approval to Immigrate to Canada recently. I have 7+ years of experience in IT Software industry. I am keen to know the job prospects before moving to Canada. Is it possible to find a job in Canada still being in another country(Is it even worth trying?) or it is highly necessary to land there and then start searching. How much time does it usually take to land up into a permanent job

Considering the high cost of living in cities like Toronto, I am afraid that our Funds may exhaust sooner than having a job in hand. Is that a most likely scenario? Do most of the people make compromise on their jobs when they come to Canada?

What would be the average payrate for IT project managers or SAP professionals. Any pointers / answers will be highly appreciated?

martian

May 22, 2009
US
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2009
Doc's Request.
11-07-2009
AOR Received.
05-05-2009
File Transfer...
13-05-2009
Med's Request
04-14-2010
Seniors
any comments?

Malmo

Star Member
May 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2010
Hello Frenzie,
Your chances are good. I guess you could easily get a 80k job in the Toronto area. I assume you want to work as a project manager? Or are you a developer?

Its much easier to find a job when you already are in Canada due to interviews etc. You working in another country and applying at the same time for a job in Canada may be a problem. I have had problems when applying for "no relocation" jobs at www.rim.com

They prefer the candidate to be in Canada. Where are you migrating from?

Malmo

pshhe

Star Member
Dec 20, 2009
Hi,

I am currently a Project Manager and Mainframe is my technology domain. I have more than 11 years of experience in IT. How easy would it be to find a decent job in Canada? Is it advisable to change my technology or learn something new before landing?
Which province shall I target to search jobs ?

Currently my PR is in process.

Thanks in advance.

Malmo

Star Member
May 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2010
Hi,

I am currently a Project Manager and Mainframe is my technology domain. I have more than 11 years of experience in IT. How easy would it be to find a decent job in Canada? Is it advisable to change my technology or learn something new before landing?
Which province shall I target to search jobs ?

Currently my PR is in process.

Thanks in advance.
look for positions at www.rim.com and also look for work at monster.ca and workopolis.ca

Toronto is a decent area with regards to IT

Malmo

Quickquestion

Jun 8, 2010
Mainframe jobs are available in the banking sector, govt or consulting firms that support the banks since this is the legacy technology they invested in a long time ago and are unlikely able to afford to change out of anytime soon. It will be difficult to obtain a job offer without proof of eligibility to work in Canada and without a social insurance number. Also, timing all these things to fall into place (pr status, s.i.n., home) at the same time will require contingency planning and a desperate employer willing to wait in limbo for your potential arrival. Keep an open mind and positive attitude so that when things fall into place, you're not too jaded to accept a good offer. Best of luck.

Quickquestion

Jun 8, 2010
Hi Frenzie,

There are SAP jobs available in Toronto and Calgary. Some employers appear willing to wait for foreign candidates with good SAP experience, strong communication skills and a professional attitude, in the event eligibility to work is imminent. When you ask whether people compromise, do you mean pay-wise? Because unless you are coming from the USA or UK, you will be getting paid much more than what you would be getting from your home country. Regarding a compromise in roles or levels, as long as you have good communication skills and knowledge of working in Canadian office environment (ie. treat everyone with respect (yes, some foreigners coming to Canada are still refusing to shake hands with coworkers that are women); follow the law and company policy; and have the right experiences and knowledge the employer is looking for, then you should find an appropriate job. If you end up settling with a subpar role, then do your best to learn from the role and use it as experience towards your next role. Good luck!

sujithsj85

Oct 11, 2016
Dear All,

This thread is from the year 2010 however i still have the same question on how easy it to get a IT project manager job in toronto ?, i currently have 10 yrs of IT experience with 3 years of relevant exp in software and infrastructure projects. In addition is it possible to try for a job in canada from germany where im working now? If i have the sin number.
Please share your valuable experiences to help decide next steps.

Kind regards
Sj

francaispourquebec

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Dear All,

This thread is from the year 2010 however i still have the same question on how easy it to get a IT project manager job in toronto ?, i currently have 10 yrs of IT experience with 3 years of relevant exp in software and infrastructure projects. In addition is it possible to try for a job in canada from germany where im working now? If i have the sin number.
Please share your valuable experiences to help decide next steps.

Kind regards
Sj
welcome to the club. Here's my two cents: I recently went to a job fair in Toronto where several staffing agencies were present. There were five people in the queue standing in front of me, and to my utter surprise, all were looking for IT manager positions. It's apparent that there are several candidates in the open market with 10+ years of technology experience looking for managerial positions. I learnt a few things during my job search and here it is: a recruiter once told me that that every IT manager candidate is competing with at-least five other people whereas a business manager candidate is competing with at-most three. So if you have experience in business projects, it would be a great differentiating factor. The other thing is certification. Some may disagree but I have noticed that Canada recruiters look more for certifications than US recruiter's do. So if you have project management certifications (the more the merrier) that would be a good add-on, provided of course that you have some good experience to go with it.

Reactions: Jakev

francaispourquebec

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
and regarding your question whether you can try applying for jobs outside Canada, of course you can. I applied for jobs from outside Canada with an international number, and I got several interviews. I couldn't convert any of them to an offer but that's another story. But at-least I got interviews. There is always a possibility that when it comes to making a decision between two candidates, recruiters may tend to choose the one who is local.

Reactions: Jakev