+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IT Program Manager with Cloud computing jobs

Ranga1129

May 6, 2015
Hello,

I am curious to know the market for cloud computing Jobs, I have 10 years of Program Management exp and currently working on cloud platform (vmware, Azure and AWS) working currently for a reputed tier 4 data center.

I wanted to know how hard is job hunting for such roles and what are the chances for Indians.

what are the most asked IT skills in Canada so that I can plan to acquire those skills before I land.

Your suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks
Ranga

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Ranga,

You are the cloud infrastructure side? I'm not really familiar with such but can you try to find some certifications from http://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/downloadablefiles/it-certification-roadmap.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Can you broaden your skill to enterprise cloud companies such as Salesforce, Workday etc. Since you are a program manager, you can get PMP certified?

I'm in similar position as you and wondering if getting more and more certifications help really. End of the day, the first job that we get in Canada will be in one domain or one technology and it is hard to predict what that domain/technology will be. The other qualifications unrelated to this first job will be a waste of time, energy and money.

From what I'm hearing from people, some people get jobs in 1 month while some get after 7-8 months. In the latter case, we will have a lot of time to add certifications while being unemployed in Canada, so there is no real hurry to do anything now. If we are lucky and belong to the first case, we don't really have to worry about anything but I'm not sure that certifications will shorten our jobless time?

Ranga1129

May 6, 2015
Hi Number411,

yes my work experience in Cloud Infra, I am planning to Complete AWS and PMP certifications

As told by you its is correct, some get jobs in a months time and it takes few months for others and we can utilize that time for certification, but I am really worried if the Job hunt goes excessive time as I cannot afford time an money, hence I want to plan to enhance the required skill set which is in demand out there in Canada.

Hence I am trying my best to understand and prepare then try my best and rest leave it to destiny.

Well one of my friend suggested Business Analyst and testing tools are in good demand, please share your views on it.

Thanks for your response.

olympus

Dec 15, 2015
I am curious to know.

On what visa status are you planning to visit Canada? Tourist visa? Or you already have a PR in process?

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Hello Friends,

Firstly, I would like to Thank you so much for creating such a positive vibration through the posts among the 'to be immigrants' like me.
I have got my COPR in July-2015 and I will arrive Toronto on 31-March-2016. (Flight tickets booked for me and family)
At present, I am in Riyadh, SaudiArabia working as an IT Project Manager for Riyad Bank.
I am a PMP Certified IT Project Manager with overall experience of 12 years in IT industry out of which 8 years in Project management for Banking sector.
Since January beginning I have been applying to all Banks in Canada (Scotia, TD, RBC, CIBC etc) through their career section left, right, center...But no luck yet. Pls let me know am I going in the right direction? Regarding Career Edge,as per your advise I believe I should not touch this for now till I land in Canada. What is your advise for me now, when I am still here in my home country I have exactly 2 months more to land. Thanks for your time to read this. Awaiting for your 2 cents! :)

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
number411 said:
From what I'm hearing from people, some people get jobs in 1 month while some get after 7-8 months. In the latter case, we will have a lot of time to add certifications while being unemployed in Canada, so there is no real hurry to do anything now. If we are lucky and belong to the first case, we don't really have to worry about anything but I'm not sure that certifications will shorten our jobless time?
I'd have to disagree a bit with using the time when you are unemployed to study for certifications, i've been living here for about 2 years now and have experienced the whole job search thing.

Unemployment adds stress, and if it continues for sometime it introduces a "hyper-cost aware" behavior, you start to prioritize the priorities..and that adds complexity. It should be much easier for you to dedicate time to do your certifications before you land, while you are working and have a steady income, your employer might even agree to take the cost of some of these certifications if they very much align with your daily duties.

Additionally, being unemployed doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be having lots of time in your hands - unless you're doing it wrongly. Unemployment means "your full time job is to find a job", so you should be spending your time searching for jobs/submitting applications, talking to tech. recruiters, going to specialized recruitment agencies and advertising your skills, attending networking events, improving your resume, preparing for interviews, attending bridging programs related to your field of expertise...etc. That takes up a lot of your time.

Basicly think of it that way...whatever efforts you put in your job search in the first 0-3 months - decides and shapes how your first 6 months will look like and so on. The more quality applications you make, the more are the chances that you'll be receiving phone calls and going through interviews and stuff.

Those are my two cents, and good luck to all. It might seem tough at the beginning but hopefully it will soon be history.

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emamabd said:
Additionally, being unemployed doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be having lots of time in your hands - unless you're doing it wrongly. Unemployment means "your full time job is to find a job", so you should be spending your time searching for jobs/submitting applications, talking to tech. recruiters, going to specialized recruitment agencies and advertising your skills, attending networking events, improving your resume, preparing for interviews, attending bridging programs related to your field of expertise...etc. That takes up a lot of your time.
Yeah, I agree. If we can know beforehand which certifications are directly relevant to Canada and its job market, that would be great and its better each one spends time researching this. What scares me the most, is the below quote. In Ranga's post above, he too mentions that he can't afford being jobless for a long time and the same is true with me too.

Unemployment adds stress, and if it continues for sometime it introduces a "hyper-cost aware" behavior, you start to prioritize the priorities..and that adds complexity.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
number411 said:
its better each one spends time researching this.
Exactly do your research, have a look at job postings that suit your experience and see what they are looking for and prepare yourself beforehand. Note that certifications don't guarantee a job ofcourse, but rather it gives you more credibility - which also helps ofcourse.

number411 said:
What scares me the most, is the below quote. In Ranga's post above, he too mentions that he can't afford being jobless for a long time and the same is true with me too.
Well you need to prepare for the worst..have a plan B, C and D..you need to plan for the first year, i.e. what you will do in the first 3 months, next 3-6 months..etc. After you land there's no time to waste being surprised and not knowing what to do next (if things don't workout the way you want)...each day without employment means you are loosing money, your savings are decreasing...etc.

I wouldn't say its scary...its about taking risks and being prepared.

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emamabd said:
Well you need to prepare for the worst..have a plan B, C and D..you need to plan for the first year, i.e. what you will do in the first 3 months, next 3-6 months..etc. I wouldn't say its scary...its about taking risks and being prepared.
This is a professional way of approaching things, thank you. I have some Plan B (but no Plan C & D yet ) but will continue to think and execute along these lines.

My Plan B, if unemployed after 3 months, is to start some self-employment in part-time and also to move to a big city nearby. Preparations already underway to train myself on this self-employment and hopefully if revenues come-in at a decent pace, even start a company later. Why not become job creators instead of job seekers. I am hearing that really good and qualified people are unemployed and available, so let us make use of them and grow some business!

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
number411 said:
My Plan B, if unemployed after 3 months, is to start some self-employment in part-time and also to move to a big city nearby. Preparations already underway to train myself on this self-employment and hopefully if revenues come-in at a decent pace, even start a company later. Why not become job creators instead of job seekers. I am hearing that really good and qualified people are unemployed and available, so let us make use of them and grow some business!
Good luck,

Exactly, becoming a job creater is indeed a great idea, sharing below a post from a forum member who created a tech startup company within a few months after landing

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t272380.0.html;msg4793152#msg4793152