Oct 17, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
04/04/2019
Hi every one!

So, i would ask experts here about working in canada in IT related jobs without a degree knowing that i studied comuter science and i'm good at programming but i didn't finish my studies.

Is there any hope for that and how can i do my search?

Thank you in advance.

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
Hi every one!

So, i would ask experts here about working in canada in IT related jobs without a degree knowing that i studied comuter science and i'm good at programming but i didn't finish my studies.

Thank you in advance.
No, we have a vast supply of graduate students with diplomas and degrees. Sixty per cent of the population has a degree or diploma. Who would ever hire you? You need qualifications and that means more school either there or here. Your knowledge must be backed by an appropriate educational background.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi every one!

Thank you in advance.
It would be pretty difficult to qualify for PR since a large portion of points come from your various degrees. If you have really rare skills and can find a company to hire you that would the once chance to lead to PR.

ouadrasi

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
04/04/2019
No, we have a vast supply of graduate students with diplomas and degrees. Sixty per cent of the population has a degree or diploma. Who would ever hire you? You need qualifications and that means more school either there or here. Your knowledge must be backed by an appropriate educational background.
Thank you for your answer , in fact i didn't express my self well , I have a bachelor's degree in applied economics, before that i studied computer science engineering without finishing it so thats why my question, because i thik i could perform very good in IT even if i didn't get a degree related.

anyways doesn't sound encouraging:D

ouadrasi

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
04/04/2019
It would be pretty difficult to qualify for PR since a large portion of points come from your various degrees. If you have really rare skills and can find a company to hire you that would the once chance to lead to PR.

In fact i'm waiting for PPR, I have a bachelor's degree in applied economics. But i see the point, my question with that profile i could get some opportunity IT related.

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
In fact i'm waiting for PPR, I have a bachelor's degree in applied economics. But i see the point, my question with that profile i could get some opportunity IT related.
Quadrasi I am going to tell you my honest humble Canadian opinion. You have to consider Canada has a population where 60% have a diploma or degree or both. Consider what that number does to the expectation of employers regarding education. We aren't stuck up but we are the best-educated on earth. First, a Bachelors is great but very common. The worst is that you have no credentials regarding IT. First, the Government will have problems with it because your education is supposed to match what you do; yours doesn't. So that is the hurdle you must match. Any employer will hesitate with no formal education. Use the tool below to test your admissibility.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool-immigration-express-entry.html

Reactions: ouadrasi

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Don’t really agree with @visatet if you have strong IT skills and can get an interview many entry level IT job rely on skill which can be tested. If you are self-taught yes there could be opportunities. Depends on how talented you are. It is certainly a tougher road unless you have connections based on your IT skills. A bachelors degree may not be enough to be able to get PR.

ouadrasi

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
04/04/2019
Don’t really agree with @visatet if you have strong IT skills and can get an interview many entry level IT job rely on skill which can be tested. If you are self-taught yes there could be opportunities. Depends on how talented you are. It is certainly a tougher road unless you have connections based on your IT skills. A bachelors degree may not be enough to be able to get PR.
That’s what i thought based on how the IT market is evolving worldwide, never the less what i intend is to get an entry level job and yes i feel confident about my skills. Your answer seems realistic and gives me some hope besides i have no problem to catch some survival job while i’ll seek for IT education or training. I’m just asking because it would be great to start my journey in Canada with something that i love and i persue a career on it.

By the way, i’m an Ontario nominee, they accept bachelor’s holders with proficiency in French, wich is luckily my case:) 8 months of wait but i keep my fingers crossed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That’s what i thought based on how the IT market is evolving worldwide, never the less what i intend is to get an entry level job and yes i feel confident about my skills. Your answer seems realistic and gives me some hope besides i have no problem to catch some survival job while i’ll seek for IT education or training. I’m just asking because it would be great to start my journey in Canada with something that i love and i persue a career on it.

By the way, i’m an Ontario nominee, they accept bachelor’s holders with proficiency in French, wich is luckily my case:) 8 months of wait but i keep my fingers crossed.
Was concerned that just having a bachelors degree would be the stumbling block but your French language skills creates a PR path for you. Not well versed in IT but would prepare your “portfolio” to show employers your skill set and based on my understanding a 1st interview usually involves skill testing.

ouadrasi

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
04/04/2019
Was concerned that just having a bachelors degree would be the stumbling block but your French language skills creates a PR path for you. Not well versed in IT but would prepare your “portfolio” to show employers your skill set and based on my understanding a 1st interview usually involves skill testing.
I was thinking those days about it and maybe the safest (not the easiest) way is to get some certification first, also maybe i should decide about it if get to Canada first and see what's going on considering i'm still in process:D But i admit that what you shared with me is cheering me up. Thank you very much.

ouadrasi

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
04/04/2019
And also thank you for your time and concern, i just noticed that you are an VIP member so you have to be really aware about what you saying and it gives me a better image. keep up the good work.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was thinking those days about it and maybe the safest (not the easiest) way is to get some certification first, also maybe i should decide about it if get to Canada first and see what's going on considering i'm still in process:D But i admit that what you shared with me is cheering me up. Thank you very much.
Yes getting some certification first may be a good idea. Often the tech advances faster than the courses so it really depends on your knowledge and skill level. Just want to warn you that it isn’t going to be necessarily easy to move to Canada but there is less youth unemployment and IT sector is one of the easier sectors to actually get a job as a younger person.

ouadrasi

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
04/04/2019
Good old days :) for closure to this thread : I ended up getting an IT job after some training here in Ontario.

Reactions: wendy640