+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IT jobs in Canada and LMO and WP from India

CockyAsian

Jun 4, 2012
Hello all,

I am a newbie to the forums and I greatly appreciate everyone's efforts to create a huge knowledge base for people like me to pore over when deciding what to do. That being said, I'm going to cheat and jump ahead with my question. ;D

I'm a Masters graduate with a degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the USA. (12 + 4 years undergrad education in India, 3 years Masters education in the USA). I have also worked for 3 years in the USA. I'm currently in India, and am exploring my options of relocating to Canada to continue my career, and I have the following queries.

1) What is the best way to find a job from outside Canada, as not many employers would be willing to offer employment sight unseen, irrespective of my exceptional qualifications?
2) What is the procedure the employer must then follow? (Apply for an LMO in my name, and then I apply for a work permit in my home country?)
3) What is a reasonable estimate of processing times?
4) Would the 12-18 months processing time for a PR application (I qualify based on points), be quicker than going through the whole process of obtaining a job and a temporary work permit?

Thank you in advance for your replies,
International Wanderer

JGK

Star Member
Jul 16, 2010
Vegreville, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (File Moved to Detroit July 2011)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-09-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
31-05-2010
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
01-03-2011
Med's Done....
22-03-2011
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
13-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2011
LANDED..........
12-10-2011
CockyAsian said:
Hello all,

1) What is the best way to find a job from outside Canada, as not many employers would be willing to offer employment sight unseen, irrespective of my exceptional qualifications?

from outside canada you are limited to online job sites or social notworking sites like LikedIn

2) What is the procedure the employer must then follow? (Apply for an LMO in my name, and then I apply for a work permit in my home country?)

employer applies for LMO and if successful you apply for the TWP in India

3) What is a reasonable estimate of processing times?

As IT professionals was removed from the list of professions deemed 'In demand', getting an LMO is far from a formality as it is now a profession where there are a surplus of citizens or PR applicants for positions

4) Would the 12-18 months processing time for a PR application (I qualify based on points), be quicker than going through the whole process of obtaining a job and a temporary work permit?

Once again, for PR without a job offer, you would have to have a profession on the list if those deemed "in demand". the new list will be published towards the end of June. It is unlikely that IT professional will be on the list. (Three years ago it was an LMO exempt profession and last year it failed to make the list)
Replies in bold