+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

It has been 2 months since we've arrived in Canada...

lpntocanada

Star Member
Aug 9, 2010
Wow!! I can't believe that it has only been two months since we've come to this beautiful country. Let me tell you, it has not been easy but it is always the journey that will teach us along the way and at the same time make us cherish what we have now.

We came to Canada via Vancouver International from L.A. on Oct. 14, 2010. Landing procedures was straight forward. It took us about 45 minutes to get through immigration and customs. I rented an apartment prior to landing so we proceeded to the apartment in Surrey, BC. Surrey has some good parts and bad parts but unfortunately, I ended up staying in the uglier parts of town. That is a lesson I want everyone to know, as a new immigrant with limited resources, I wanted to save money so I rented the cheaper place but in the end costs me more.

The next two weeks was very difficult because it is during this time that I realized that getting a job is really difficult and our hard earned savings were dwindling down too fast for me. I was panicking and depressed. Weather in Vancouver didn't help much. It was almost always too gloomy and dreary to go out. I am a nurse with license prior to landing so I thought I could get a job fast. After talking to several people, I learned there's a lot of Canadian LPN's with no job in B.C. Since I'm also licensed in Alberta, I thought let me check the job market in Alberta. I saw several job openings in the province and was soon hired for a part time position.

We packed all our stuff again and moved to Alberta. Alberta is such a beautiful place, very nice people and the sales tax is only 5%. LOL This time I made sure that I will be renting in the good parts of town with good schools for my sons. Settling in Calgary has been smooth. I recently got a full time job with great pay and great benefits. My husband also got a job in the I.T. sector.

It has been a roller coaster ride for us for the last 2 months both mentally and emotionally. Having my family here as support has been tremendous. It has not been easy but I can tell you that I am very happy to call this country my new home. I hope that for other people who got discouraged by others telling them not to come here due to high taxes and no jobs is if there are no jobs in one place then look at another place. Again, preparation and perseverance will pay off. :D

pearl2010

Jul 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2009
Doc's Request.
16-02-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
13-10-2010 to LA(in-process 19-04-2011)Rejection letter on 7 June2011
Hi Ipntocanada,

Thanks for sharing ur initial experience.This would definetely be of help to most of us.

Wishing u Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Regards
pearl2010

fariza

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thnx for sharing LpnCanada.... Your hard time is over now its time to consolidate your stay with comfort peace and prosperity......
All the very best

CAforCA

Jan 27, 2009
Doc's Request.
20th Jan 2010
AOR Received.
25th May 2010
IELTS Request
15th Dec 2009 Taken Score 7.5
File Transfer...
20-01-2010
Med's Request
28-09-2010
Med's Done....
11-10-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
6/1/2011
LANDED..........
25/6/2011 Yoo Hoo
Thanks for sharing the information - It is a basic law of economics as more the demand the supply will aim to meet it - the demand is being created by us immigrants in that country and that will sustain their economy. With Strong banking regulations you have seen there is no break up of economy in Canada - of course people will find it difficult to get jobs and that is what is seen in many western countries not only in canada. We need more people to post such experiences so we can feel energized.

Thank you once again for sharing your wonderful experience - I plan to move to Canada sometime next year now just waiting for my visa to be stamped. I do not plan to come to canada during winters or early spring ..I might come there in Summer when the weather is fine to move around looking for jobs.

SATDXB

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Aug-09
Doc's Request.
02-Oct-09
File Transfer...
06-Oct-09
Med's Request
18-08-10
Med's Done....
09-09-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-01-2011 - Passport sent on 22-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2011
LANDED..........
19th May 2011- Thanks to Almighty!
lpntocanada said:
Wow!! I can't believe that it has only been two months since we've come to this beautiful country. Let me tell you, it has not been easy but it is always the journey that will teach us along the way and at the same time make us cherish what we have now.

We came to Canada via Vancouver International from L.A. on Oct. 14, 2010. Landing procedures was straight forward. It took us about 45 minutes to get through immigration and customs. I rented an apartment prior to landing so we proceeded to the apartment in Surrey, BC. Surrey has some good parts and bad parts but unfortunately, I ended up staying in the uglier parts of town. That is a lesson I want everyone to know, as a new immigrant with limited resources, I wanted to save money so I rented the cheaper place but in the end costs me more.

The next two weeks was very difficult because it is during this time that I realized that getting a job is really difficult and our hard earned savings were dwindling down too fast for me. I was panicking and depressed. Weather in Vancouver didn't help much. It was almost always too gloomy and dreary to go out. I am a nurse with license prior to landing so I thought I could get a job fast. After talking to several people, I learned there's a lot of Canadian LPN's with no job in B.C. Since I'm also licensed in Alberta, I thought let me check the job market in Alberta. I saw several job openings in the province and was soon hired for a part time position.

We packed all our stuff again and moved to Alberta. Alberta is such a beautiful place, very nice people and the sales tax is only 5%. LOL This time I made sure that I will be renting in the good parts of town with good schools for my sons. Settling in Calgary has been smooth. I recently got a full time job with great pay and great benefits. My husband also got a job in the I.T. sector.

It has been a roller coaster ride for us for the last 2 months both mentally and emotionally. Having my family here as support has been tremendous. It has not been easy but I can tell you that I am very happy to call this country my new home. I hope that for other people who got discouraged by others telling them not to come here due to high taxes and no jobs is if there are no jobs in one place then look at another place. Again, preparation and perseverance will pay off. :D
Best of luck Mam.. for bright future ahead !!

Cheers..

lloydnina

May 6, 2010
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
march 2010
AOR Received.
sept 2010
IELTS Request
done
File Transfer...
may 2010
Med's Request
Jan 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 22,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 12, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
March 20, 2012
LANDED..........
January 2013
Hi there, just wana ask,,are u an RN there in Vancouver? I thought there is a lot of jobs for RNs in vancouver so what do you think is the problem? and also, was the job offer in alberta an RN position? If so, how did you transfer your registration from VA to Alberta? I am an nurse too but haven't sitted the CRNE yet. Thanks in advance.

:) lloyd

ArshadAli

Star Member
Jun 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2010
AOR Received.
20-10-2010
IELTS Request
done
Med's Request
waiting
Med's Done....
waitinig
Passport Req..
waiting
Very nice posting,so how much rent in calgury for 2 beds n 2 baths flat?

asyousuf

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 2011
lpntocanada said:

Congrats and gud luk for times to come.

Will be needing your good wishes and continuous guidance for those who r planning to become part of this lovely country
asyousuf

lpntocanada

Star Member
Aug 9, 2010
lloydnina said:
Hi there, just wana ask,,are u an RN there in Vancouver? I thought there is a lot of jobs for RNs in vancouver so what do you think is the problem? and also, was the job offer in alberta an RN position? If so, how did you transfer your registration from VA to Alberta? I am an nurse too but haven't sitted the CRNE yet. Thanks in advance.

:) lloyd
I am a LPN not RN. I don't know the job market for RN in Vancouver. Sorry...

lpntocanada

Star Member
Aug 9, 2010
ArshadAli said:
Very nice posting,so how much rent in calgury for 2 beds n 2 baths flat?
I am currently renting a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment in the SW sector of Calgary. My rent is $1100 per month including heat, water and garbage. It is very close to downtown so easy access to public transportation.

me2land

Aug 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats

lpntocanada said:
... I am a nurse with license prior to landing so I thought I could get a job fast...
How did you get you LPN licence prior to landing? Can you post the details?

¬m2l

lpntocanada

Star Member
Aug 9, 2010
me2land said:
Congrats

How did you get you LPN licence prior to landing? Can you post the details?

¬m2l
I went to the website of the province I wanted to register in ie. CLPNA (Alberta) and CLPNBC (British Columbia). They have the requirements needed for International Educated Nurses. I gathered and submitted all requirements. It is time consuming so I suggest anyone to do it 2-3 months prior to landing.

lpntocanada

Star Member
Aug 9, 2010
Lucky11 said:
what is the qualification and profession of your husband
My husband was I.T. Manager in the U.S. Bachelor Degree in Computer Science and MBA with specialization in I.T. He currently got a job as System Administrator.