+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Issuing of study permit at Montreal airport

FineThenGo

Aug 11, 2019
I will be arriving at Montreal airport from Frankfurt airport and then take a plane from Montreal to Halifax where my university is located. I just wanted to ask whether there will be problems at immigration as I don't have a Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ) since I am switching flights in Montreal and not actually there to study. Will the immigration office want to see it? Also I only have 2 hours in Montreal airport. Will I be able to pass through immigration and get the study permit issued in time?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I will be arriving at Montreal airport from Frankfurt airport and then take a plane from Montreal to Halifax where my university is located. I just wanted to ask whether there will be problems at immigration as I don't have a Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ) since I am switching flights in Montreal and not actually there to study. Will the immigration office want to see it? Also I only have 2 hours in Montreal airport. Will I be able to pass through immigration and get the study permit issued in time?
No issues, you are not studying in Quebec so there is no need for CAQ, border officials are federal officers and not provincial officers. They will issue you your study permit with no hassels. I would suggest if it is possible to take a later flight, 2 hours is cutting it too close.

FineThenGo

Aug 11, 2019
No issues, you are not studying in Quebec so there is no need for CAQ, border officials are federal officers and not provincial officers. They will issue you your study permit with no hassels. I would suggest if it is possible to take a later flight, 2 hours is cutting it too close.
Thank you for your help. As for the flight, mine is on a single ticket so I heard they will reschedule a later flight free of cost if I miss the flight due to immigration. Is this true?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you for your help. As for the flight, mine is on a single ticket so I heard they will reschedule a later flight free of cost if I miss the flight due to immigration. Is this true?
Hmm I wouldn't be too sure. You should check with the airline. They can do weird things sometimes - if you are the only one being delayed, and it's not their fault/long lines at immigration, they may say that they will charge.

Or they may not care and easily put you on the next flight. Just check with them first.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
It would depend on the airline in question. In Air Canada's Conditions of Carriage (you agree to this if you buy a ticket and it's a legally binding document)

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/legal/conditions-carriage-tariffs.html

If you’re denied boarding because of a situation that’s outside of our control, here’s how your travel plans will be accommodated:

• We’ll rebook you on the next available Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or Air Canada Express flight or on one of our partner airlines on a reasonable route from the same airport, within 48 hours of the end of the event that caused the denial of boarding; or
  • If we cannot do this, we’ll re-route you on any carrier via any reasonable air route to your destination or re-route you from another airport that is within a reasonable distance of your departure airport to your destination (if any). If your new departure is from such an airport, Air Canada will arrange for your transportation to that other airport.
Technically, you should get rebooked if you get stuck in immigration, but I would personally just rebook the last leg of the ticket to a later date. I don't know what kind of ticket you have purchased and how much it would cost to do so. It might be better for your peace of mind if you change the ticket now.