+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

issue with obtaining a driving license

jacksparrow1

Dec 2, 2017

Hi,
So here is my case.

I am a refugee claimant, at the port of entry the immigration took all my original credentials including my driver license and provided me with a certified true copy. the officer said that it should be good and accepted wherever needed.

When I applied for the driving license at drivetest they allowed me to do the G1 but not the road test, claiming that I don't have experience. I showed them the true copy, an international driving license and official letter stating that I have more than 10 years of experience. they didn't accept any of it.

- I asked my immigration lawyer to write to the immigration board, but they did not respond.

- I went to the MP in the area, they wrote to immigration and they responded that they need a letter from ministry of transport stating that they need my original driving license.

- I went to the ministry of transport requesting the letter, they said they don't issue such letter and they don't deal with licensing at all. it is all with drivetest

- I went back to the MP, they told me they can't help me without the letter and I should try my luck with the provincial MP

- I went to the provincial MP, they said they will get back to me but they didn't. I am going to visit them on Monday to follow up. but if I had no luck what should I do?

I am trying to find a job and most of them require a driving license. I was forced to flee my country because of discrimination, yet I feel the way I am treated in this case is similar! I have respect to rules, but it is clear the trouble I am facing has no reason at all.​

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Depending on where you are from, they may not accept your letter of experience for your drivers license. Don't really see that not getting the license you want constitutes discrimination....no one has said you can't go through the process to receive one, just seems there is no fast tracking available in your case. No offence.

jacksparrow1

Dec 2, 2017
Depending on where you are from, they may not accept your letter of experience for your drivers license. Don't really see that not getting the license you want constitutes discrimination....no one has said you can't go through the process to receive one, just seems there is no fast tracking available in your case. No offence.
Many of the country i come from had their full G test or at least the G2 without having to wait for one year. They were able to do that because they kept their driving licesene with them when they were asked to submit their credentials.

I am not trying to fast track anything, i am trying to solve a complication resulted from two organizations not welling to communicate with each other.

Last edited:

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I had a learners permit from the UK and they let me take my test without waiting. I think that is because Canada and the UK have an agreement. That doesn't happen with all countries though. It may be that your country (you haven't actually stated where you are from..might help) does not have such an agreement and you will have to go through the process G1-G2. But there is not discrimination here, just laws and agreements.

jacksparrow1

Dec 2, 2017
I had a learners permit from the UK and they let me take my test without waiting. I think that is because Canada and the UK have an agreement. That doesn't happen with all countries though. It may be that your country (you haven't actually stated where you are from..might help) does not have such an agreement and you will have to go through the process G1-G2. But there is not discrimination here, just laws and agreements.
Again, it is not about the law or an issue with recognizing my driving license

DriveTest did not recognize the certified true copy issued by the immigration, and told me that if I have the original I can take the test right away. On the other hand immigration is refusing to release it to me so I can show it to drive test, or sending it to drive test their self because, they say, the paper they gave me is good to be recognized by any other third party in Canada

immigration says one thing, DriveTest says another thing and I am being bing bonged between both of them. I find it not fair but If anyone reading this find it otherwise, it is his own point of view and i am not here to argue with it I am here to hear from anyone who can suggest a solution because what I am asking for is not against the law

Last edited: