+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is visa required for transit stop at seatle, USA?

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
Hi all,

I am about to make ticket booking from dubai to calgary by emirates airlines For first time landing for my PR process under fsw program, but the flight has one stop at seatle,usa,for 3 hours stop then will take another airline to calgary,my question will i need usa visa to move between terminals in seatle as terminal info cant be shown on the travel agent system.please advise

Thanks

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dbss said:
I don't think so you will need another visa but you would not be able to get out of the airport..3 hours is an acceptable time period..
Not correct. Even though there is connecting flight he need a Transit (C1) visa for departing via USA..

All passengers arriving on international flights in the US must have the legal right to enter the US. ie, you must either be a US citizen/green card holder, be from a country that is a part of the US Visa Waiver Program and have a valid ESTA, or have a US Visa.
For passengers with connecting flight to Canada, there is a "Transit Visa" (C) available which is normally a little easier to obtain than a normal visa, but you'll still need to go through the full visa application process, including showing proof that you intend to leave the US (almost) immediately

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramzy2277 said:
Hi all,

I am about to make ticket booking from dubai to calgary by emirates airlines For first time landing for my PR process under fsw program, but the flight has one stop at seatle,usa,for 3 hours stop then will take another airline to calgary,my question will i need usa visa to move between terminals in seatle as terminal info cant be shown on the travel agent system.please advise

Thanks
As per Wilson unless you are visitor visa exempt to the US or hold a valid US visa you better re-route and avoid the US. Emirrates fly to Toronto and cod with West Jet on the in country sector.

Awebus

Star Member
Dec 15, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to stay there for 2-3 days, yes you may need Visas.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Awebus said:
If you want to stay there for 2-3 days, yes you may need Visas.
No, the OP needs a transit visa, even if the stop is 10 minutes. To leave the transit lounge he needs a B1/B2 visa

shamsjaleel

Star Member
Jan 3, 2013
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08=2004
Doc's Request.
10-11-2011
IELTS Request
10-11-2011
File Transfer...
01-01-2010
Med's Request
16-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-10-2012 Re-Xray on Jan 2013
Interview........
PPR 1 on 19th June 2013
Passport Req..
PPR 2 on 12th July 2013 ISB received on 15th
VISA ISSUED...
19th July 2013
LANDED..........
28th of July 2013
PMM said:
Hi

No, the OP needs a transit visa, even if the stop is 10 minutes. To leave the transit lounge he needs a B1/B2 visa
Ramzy
From where r u flying, why dont you take Qatar air, i.e Doha - Heathro-Calgary nice connection so u will not require any visa for US.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Out of curiosity only - Say your flight plan does not include any US stop but due to say, bad weather, unruly passengers, etc it gets diverted to New York. What happens to travellers who are not visa-exempt to the US in that case?

I find it strange that green card holders can enter Canada without visas but not the other way around for permanent residents. What's the difference between a green card and PR card?

Just like US citizens are considered "home based players" when they play MLS soccer in Canada but Canadian citizens in the same league are considered "foreign players" on US soil? Something very wrong with that picture but topic for another day.

Msafiri said:
As per Wilson unless you are visitor visa exempt to the US or hold a valid US visa you better re-route and avoid the US. Emirrates fly to Toronto and cod with West Jet on the in country sector.