+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is UNKNOWN answer Acceptable in Filling out Additional Family Information Form (IMM 5406)?

florbv77

Nov 19, 2018
Hello! Can someone please shed light on this? Is "UNKNOWN" answer in the birthday and email fields of siblings acceptable? I'm currently filling out the forms needed for PR application. My problem is, I barely know my siblings since I grew up in a different family. I know the months and dates of some of them but not the years. I have 7 siblings and 3 of them are deceased already. I have no contact with the rest of them. All I know is their names. I'm worried that this will be a red flag to the visa officer. Do I need to submit an explanation letter? Please help. TIA.

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
It's rather common to put it the word "unknown" when we fill this family information form. What our office do is exactly what you have in mind, just explain your situation and be honest about it, you will be fine.

florbv77

Nov 19, 2018
It's rather common to put it the word "unknown" when we fill this family information form. What our office do is exactly what you have in mind, just explain your situation and be honest about it, you will be fine.
Thanks. Are there instances the VO asks for proofs or follow-ups?
Also, Is there a particular letter format to follow?

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
Thanks. Are there instances the VO asks for proofs or follow-ups?
Also, Is there a particular letter format to follow?
I work for an immigration lawyer and I have never seen an ADR regarding this issue. And no, just a normal letter states clear your situation is fine, just make sure you sign and date it.

rkrees

May 10, 2021
Hi, just a quick question if anyone knows? We're applying for PR from the UK via Express Entry. We've received a request to complete a form IMM 5406 Family Information which is fine. We've given email addresses for everyone but does IRCC or anyone contact parents and siblings? I only ask as we haven't told them about our plans to move to Canada yet and I'd rather they find out from us than from the IRCC! thanks!