+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is this true - You can apply for citizenship with less than 1095 days physical

kingadil

Mar 7, 2012
Hi there;

I have found this link and i don't know if this is true or not as i still have about 50 days to apply but i am not sure if the new law of 4/6 would be implemented before that

"Did you know you can apply for citizenship with less than 1095 days physical presence?"

http://immigrationcanada.pro/canada-citizenship/know-can-apply-citizenship-less-1095-days-physical-presence/

Another question

As a President of a Canadian Community here in Canada would that help ???

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
Most likely will be refused after probably 2-3 years after RQ and a lot of documents being requested.
Might be easier to wait and apply even with new rules.
Processing might be actually faster...
Do not apply if physical presence is not 1095 or more...

jrjayl

Oct 6, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In the current process, mostly likely will be returned without being even processed.
If got processed, time to wait for a citizenship judge varies from 2-3 years.

In a nutshell, not worth it.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kingadil said:
Hi there;

I have found this link and i don't know if this is true or not as i still have about 50 days to apply but i am not sure if the new law of 4/6 would be implemented before that

"Did you know you can apply for citizenship with less than 1095 days physical presence?"
It's true. You can even apply just the day after you become Permanent Resident.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kingadil said:
Hi there;

http://immigrationcanada.pro/canada-citizenship/know-can-apply-citizenship-less-1095-days-physical-presence/
While it used to be true that some people applying with less than 1095 days of physical presence were approved for citizenship, based on the quality of their connection to Canada, this is much less true today. The general feeling on this forum is that applying with less that 1095 days is futile.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have heard of a couple of people getting their citizenship with less than 1095 days but those are special cases, say somebody who has strong ties with Canada but is running a multi million dollar business creating 100 Canadian jobs but has to be away on business a little too much in order to make the requirements. Such a case, they might consider. Most such cases probably get held up forever and denied in the end.

janoo

May 16, 2014
No way at current situation minimum requirement is 1095 days and suggest that

you keep some buffer of 15-20 days than apply. alternatively prepare for 3 years ride

submit tonnes of papers and end result will be zero...

longwaitwithrq

Star Member
May 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kingadil said:
Hi there;

I strongly urge you to apply, because it will be a non routine case it will take 3+ years to process the file and after that hopefully in another couple of years in case the judge decides in the judge hearing (obviously there will be a judge hearing) that you can be a Canadian citizen then all should be ok, in that case you will be a citizen in hopefully less then 6 years.

I also suggest you use the services of a law firm as well so that other then the normal citizenship fee you get an opportunity to pay the legal fees as well, after all this your Canadian Citizenship will be truly priceless as you would have taken a lot of pain to gain it.

Lux et Veritas

Star Member
Apr 25, 2015
cprak0 said:
Most likely will be refused after probably 2-3 years after RQ and a lot of documents being requested.
Might be easier to wait and apply even with new rules.
Processing might be actually faster...
Do not apply if physical presence is not 1095 or more...
Spot on totally agree with this.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Given that C-24 shows that the current will of Parliament is that the residency test will be based on Actual Physical Presence, it would be a brave and obstinate Citizenship Judge that decides to apply any alternative test at this point onwards. CIC would almost certainly appeal such a decision...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
kingadil said:
Hi there;

What the lawyer says at that link is all correct. The language there is almost verbatim from case discussions about the Koo criteria. This is still valid law.

What it leaves out, however, is as important as what it says. The big thing it leaves out is that the primary and presumed valid test for determining residency is the Actual Physical Presence (APP) test and that Citizenship Judges can apply the APP test regardless of how strong a case the applicant makes based on the Koo criteria. It leaves out that it appears that most CJs are only applying the APP test, and that all CJs are usually if not nearly always applying the APP test, and that CIC appears to be zealously arguing that CJs only apply the APP test . . . so the chances for getting a CJ to apply the Koo criteria are not at all good.

It leaves out how difficult these cases were to make even three or four years ago . . . and now that the vast majority of Citizenship Judges are Harper appointees, in addition to the overall trend to strictly apply the APP test, in addition to the fact that Parliament has spoken and said that the standard should be actual physical presence (the SCCA), these days these cases have poor odds at best.

To be clear: no matter how solid a case the shortfall (or basic residency case) applicant makes, that his or her life was centralized in Canada, a CJ can still apply the APP test and deny the application based solely on the fact the applicant was not actually physically present for at least 1095 days during the four relevant years. And, again, it appears most CJs are only applying the APP test. And, again, it appears that all CJs are usually if not nearly always applying the APP test.

I concur in the observation made by Leon and would further note that a recent Federal Court decision did refer to a case in which last year a Citizenship Judge applied the Koo test to a shortfall case (but still denied the application, as applicant was in Canada less than half the time). There was a very recent anecdotal report (credibility unknown) in another forum by a shortfall applicant (70 days short) who is scheduled for the oath soon. So the door on Koo has not been locked. But as Leon noted, at best only the most extra-ordinary, exceptional cases are getting through the narrow opening there is these days.

kingadil

Mar 7, 2012
Thank you guys :(

After i read all your comments i really don't regret ??? that i didn't apply and still waiting

I'll wait and keep following this post

kingadil

Mar 7, 2012
Also Another question

As a President of a Canadian Community here in Canada would that help my case

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kingadil said:
Also Another question

As a President of a Canadian Community here in Canada would that help my case
No.

janoo

May 16, 2014
Apply once you complete required number of days and keep a proper
record to proof residency this is most important....