+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there any disadvantage of making wife as principal applicant?

Asta La Vista

Nov 14, 2016
Thinking of making wife as the principal applicant .. as she is having better IELTS score and relatives in Canada. But wondering at the same time will it affect my chances of getting good job? As it would be visible that I moved to Canada on basis of my spouse.

Need suggestions/opinions/experiences to make decision.

BreakingBad

Oct 3, 2015
Mexico
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico VO
NOC Code......
It wont make any difference.

Only thing to consider is you can't land in Canada before your wife.
Means, she has to land first or you both can land at the same time.

You both will be PRs, You are not called dependent PR.

+1 if useful.

Reactions: Asta La Vista

Asta La Vista

Nov 14, 2016
It wont make any difference.

Only thing to consider is you can't land in Canada before your wife.
Means, she has to land first or you both can land at the same time.

You both will be PRs, You are not called dependent PR.

+1 if useful.
Thank you BreakingBad.. even I thought on the same logical lines.. But from somewhere a thought that what if my interviewer asks me about how did I reach Canada poped up..and my answer to that because of my spouse.. and it feels as my chances for consideration by the employer decreases... Extreme thoughts I know .. but could be happen in reality...

miuonpak

Star Member
Dec 21, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
January 21, 2017
Thank you BreakingBad.. even I thought on the same logical lines.. But from somewhere a thought that what if my interviewer asks me about how did I reach Canada poped up..and my answer to that because of my spouse.. and it feels as my chances for consideration by the employer decreases... Extreme thoughts I know .. but could be happen in reality...
I don't think companies would ask such question. If they do, just say you came with your wife. And if the interviewer thinks you're less qualified for the job because you are not the principal applicant, there's something wrong with them. It would be a bad idea to work for the company anyway.

Last edited:

luvanuj

Jul 14, 2011
Toronto

No employer would ask such a question. Also, take pride in answering in that you came because of your spouse. I arrived in Canada with my girlfriend, and now I am married & applied PR based on her Citizenship.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Frankly no employer would care...

Wandering Mind

Champion Member
Mar 20, 2017
Ha ha ha. You're assuming you'll be judged negatively by prospective employers for being a "dependent" of your spouse?! Thank God we're not living in the Middle Ages any more :p

Reactions: mgnlky

qgon123

Feb 12, 2017
Thinking of making wife as the principal applicant .. as she is having better IELTS score and relatives in Canada. But wondering at the same time will it affect my chances of getting good job? As it would be visible that I moved to Canada on basis of my spouse.

Need suggestions/opinions/experiences to make decision.
If you are from India or Pakistan then "Veere! ek vaari hor soch le, aa buddian baadch menay jaye barre dendiyan." :D

Just joking, it doesn't matter at all, go ahead.

smalkawi

Star Member
Jan 28, 2017
Ha ha ha. You're assuming you'll be judged negatively by prospective employers for being a "dependent" of your spouse?! Thank God we're not living in the Middle Ages any more :p
well many European countries and US in 1970s had similar mentality, at least this is according to several discrimination/inspirational stories we see in the news.
however this is very backward thinking question i admit. hehe :p

luv2read90

Jul 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
TVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
AOR Received.
26-05-2017
well many European countries and US in 1970s had similar mentality, at least this is according to several discrimination/inspirational stories we see in the news.
however this is very backward thinking question i admit. hehe :p
Yea things have changed drastically since then. The discussion should not even come up in a job interview. (As it could be misconstrued as discriminatory.)

Asta La Vista

Nov 14, 2016
I never said I am dependent on my spouse.. its just a thought came up in my mind while trying to consider every aspect...and thought somebody else might had the same thoughts.. so just wanted to share it and have opinions...

Wandering Mind

Champion Member
Mar 20, 2017
Y
I never said I am dependent on my spouse.. its just a thought came up in my mind while trying to consider every aspect...and thought somebody else might had the same thoughts.. so just wanted to share it and have opinions...
In case you didn't know, the accompanying family members (spouse, children) of the principal applicant are called "dependents". That's what I meant in my post and not that you were dependent on your spouse in any other way.

Good luck with your application.