+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there any chance I can retain my PR status?

cuibono

Jun 20, 2019
Brazil
Hello, fellow members.

Let me give a bit of a background.

My parents and I applied for immigration back in 2001 (I was 16 at the time), and we received PR status. My parents moved to Canada, but couldn't adapt to the cold in Winnipeg, so they ended up coming back to Brazil like 3 months later. I never got a chance to go to Canada as a I was finishing high school at the time, and started university right after that. We've been living in Brazil ever since.

Currently, I'm applying for a study permit, and I got a letter from CIC stating that I have two options. I can either renounce my PR in order to move forward with my study permit application, or cancel the study permit application and apply for a Permanent Resident Abroad Travel Document. So that brings me to the question I'm hoping you could help me answer.

- Is there any chance I can retain my PR status right now, even though I never complied with the ROs? I know it's a long loooong shot. But I didn't even know I still had PR status until today, and finding that out sounded like a very unexpected boon, so I had to ask someone about it. Maintaining the PR status would be hugely advantageous to me right now, as I could have access to local tuition fees and not those high international student ones. Plus, I'm planning on applying for PR in the future anyway, so that would also save me a lot of stress.

Thank you for your attention! Have yourselves a nice day.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, fellow members.

Let me give a bit of a background.

My parents and I applied for immigration back in 2001 (I was 16 at the time), and we received PR status. My parents moved to Canada, but couldn't adapt to the cold in Winnipeg, so they ended up coming back to Brazil like 3 months later. I never got a chance to go to Canada as a I was finishing high school at the time, and started university right after that. We've been living in Brazil ever since.

Currently, I'm applying for a study permit, and I got a letter from CIC stating that I have two options. I can either renounce my PR in order to move forward with my study permit application, or cancel the study permit application and apply for a Permanent Resident Abroad Travel Document. So that brings me to the question I'm hoping you could help me answer.

- Is there any chance I can retain my PR status right now, even though I never complied with the ROs? I know it's a long loooong shot. But I didn't even know I still had PR status until today, and finding that out sounded like a very unexpected boon, so I had to ask someone about it. Maintaining the PR status would be hugely advantageous to me right now, as I could have access to local tuition fees and not those high international student ones. Plus, I'm planning on applying for PR in the future anyway, so that would also save me a lot of stress.

Thank you for your attention! Have yourselves a nice day.
Did you travel to Canada to "land" and become a PR in 2001?

Short answer is that retaining your PR status at this point will be next to impossible. If you apply for a PRTD, it will be refused and your PR status officially revoked. Only option would be to fly to the US and then attempt to enter Canada through a US/Canada land border without being reported for failing to meet RO. Chances that you will be reported are extremely high. On the off chance you're able to re-enter Candaa, you'll need to live here for two years straight without leaving before you'll be able to renew your PR card. Unlikely you'll be able to go to school during those 2 years since schools require that you show a valid PR card.

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018

Short answer is that retaining your PR status at this point will be next to impossible. If you apply for a PRTD, it will be refused and your PR status officially revoked. Only option would be to fly to the US and then attempt to enter Canada through a US/Canada land border without being reported for failing to meet RO. Chances that you will be reported are extremely high. On the off chance you're able to re-enter Candaa, you'll need to live here for two years straight without leaving before you'll be able to renew your PR card. Unlikely you'll be able to go to school during those 2 years since schools require that you show a valid PR card.
I showed only my CORP at the university. They dont need to see your pr card.

Reactions: cuibono

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
The OP also needs the PR Card to obtain health care coverage. I doubt the Ministry of Health will accept an expired CORP form years ago as a proof of eligibility.

cuibono

Jun 20, 2019
Brazil

Oh, I never set foot in Canada.

I figured the odds would be low to nonexistent... But I don't want to try to fool the system or anything like that. I posted this question mostly to ease my conscience. Just on the odd chance there was an above board method I wasn't aware of. Thank you all for your help. I'm sorry to have taken your time. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh, I never set foot in Canada.

I figured the odds would be low to nonexistent... But I don't want to try to fool the system or anything like that. I posted this question mostly to ease my conscience. Just on the odd chance there was an above board method I wasn't aware of. Thank you all for your help. I'm sorry to have taken your time. :)
If you never set foot in Canada - then you never became a PR and IRCC has made an error. Best option is to apply to renounce your PR status to make sure your record is clear and you can apply successfully for the study permit.