+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there a way of getting Quebec healthcare while working remotely for Ontario

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
I have open work permit while PR spousal sponsorships is approved.

I have asked RAMQ and they said that I can't get RAMQ if I get a remote employment for an Ontario company. My skills would be more valued in Ontario than in Quebec. Is there any other way of getting a form of provincial healthcare if I get a job in Ontario while living in Quebec and being on an open work permit? For example, could my Ontario employer give me some form of health insurance, or could I get the OHIP and would that be valid in Quebec?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

I have asked RAMQ and they said that I can't get RAMQ if I get a remote employment for an Ontario company. My skills would be more valued in Ontario than in Quebec. Is there any other way of getting a form of provincial healthcare if I get a job in Ontario while living in Quebec and being on an open work permit? For example, could my Ontario employer give me some form of health insurance, or could I get the OHIP and would that be valid in Quebec?
Employer health insurance sits on top of provincial health insurance. So it's the province that has to give you the coverage. I don't believe it's possible to get RAMQ coverage if your job is remote and outside of Quebec. I'm not aware of a scenario that gives you OHIP coverage in Quebec. Wait for others to comment.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You’ll only have access to OHIP if you live in Ontario while on a WP. Same situation for RAMQ. So you’ll either need to move to Ontario or find a job in Quebec. When you become a PR you can work remotely in another province and still get RAMQ but not at the moment.