+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there a Limit to minimum working hours per week for Part-Time?

bouncer_anna

Nov 30, 2017
Hello,

I have been working for 8 Hours a week since December 2014, and I can provide a reference/experience letter stating the same. I am currently working in the same place and I will be completing 3 years this December 2017.

In my express entry profile I have stated the same.

I also, have a work experience of 8 months of additional 20 Hours per week in the same organization and I will be providing separate documents for the same. I have stated about this too in my Express Entry profile.

As per my express entry profile, I am an eligible candidate. Need inputs if my application might get rejected due to a limit for minimum working hours per week set by CEC. Can anyone guide?

Thanks,

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello,

I have been working for 8 Hours a week since December 2014, and I can provide a reference/experience letter stating the same. I am currently working in the same place and I will be completing 3 years this December 2017.

In my express entry profile I have stated the same.

I also, have a work experience of 8 months of additional 20 Hours per week in the same organization and I will be providing separate documents for the same. I have stated about this too in my Express Entry profile.

As per my express entry profile, I am an eligible candidate. Need inputs if my application might get rejected due to a limit for minimum working hours per week set by CEC. Can anyone guide?
There is no minimum # of hours, the requirement is that you must work 1560 hours within the 3 years preceding both the ITA and the eAPR date.

- RE hours worked per week means you have to count weeks (not months). Just guestimating the # of weeks worked (~1888), you have enough hours. But you will have to document the hours (more than just the two reference letters), with T4s, paystubs/timesheets, ROE (may not be available if you are still working for the same company).

Things to keep in mind:

- When you work 2 part-time jobs simultaneously, you have to count the combined hours worked per week, and count a max of 30 hours. Based on what you wrote above, you would have worked a max of 28 hours per week, so that should not be an issue.

- Any Canadian experience more than 3 years old (but less than 10) will still count for CRS points, but can no longer count toward the 1 year minimum requirement. So after you pass that 3 year mark, some of that experience will start to expire (for the purpose of counting toward the 1560 hours). Depending on the dates of your 8 months of other part-time experience, you should be OK.

bouncer_anna

Nov 30, 2017
There is no minimum # of hours, the requirement is that you must work 1560 hours within the 3 years preceding both the ITA and the eAPR date.

- RE hours worked per week means you have to count weeks (not months). Just guestimating the # of weeks worked (~1888), you have enough hours. But you will have to document the hours (more than just the two reference letters), with T4s, paystubs/timesheets, ROE (may not be available if you are still working for the same company).

Things to keep in mind:

- When you work 2 part-time jobs simultaneously, you have to count the combined hours worked per week, and count a max of 30 hours. Based on what you wrote above, you would have worked a max of 28 hours per week, so that should not be an issue.

- Any Canadian experience more than 3 years old (but less than 10) will still count for CRS points, but can no longer count toward the 1 year minimum requirement. So after you pass that 3 year mark, some of that experience will start to expire (for the purpose of counting toward the 1560 hours). Depending on the dates of your 8 months of other part-time experience, you should be OK.
Hello,

First of all a big thank you for your reply.

I will keep in mind the points you have mentioned. The thing is I have been working as a visiting faculty for teaching french and the workplace has agreed to provide me with a salary certificate year wise along with the reference letters, and I also have the tax deduction statement called as 26AS in India. I do not have timesheets which I am worried about as even the workplace doesn't keep any records of the same. Will it be a major problem if I don't have the timesheets or records of exact hours worked?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I will keep in mind the points you have mentioned. The thing is I have been working as a visiting faculty for teaching french and the workplace has agreed to provide me with a salary certificate year wise along with the reference letters, and I also have the tax deduction statement called as 26AS in India. I do not have timesheets which I am worried about as even the workplace doesn't keep any records of the same. Will it be a major problem if I don't have the timesheets or records of exact hours worked?
If this is foreign work experience (not in-Canada experience), then you can ignore the 3 years thing. Is this in addition to Canadian work experience?

The documents you have should be enough.

bouncer_anna

Nov 30, 2017
If this is foreign work experience (not in-Canada experience), then you can ignore the 3 years thing. Is this in addition to Canadian work experience?

The documents you have should be enough.
Hello,

Thanks again for your reply.

I don't have any Canadian work experience.

All work experience I have is in India. I only wish to obtain points for 1 year foreign experience and according to my EE profile with this data I am getting those points.

Will the docs I have be sufficient?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello,

Thanks again for your reply.

I don't have any Canadian work experience.

All work experience I have is in India. I only wish to obtain points for 1 year foreign experience and according to my EE profile with this data I am getting those points.

Will the docs I have be sufficient?
Already answered. But - You are posting in the Canadian Experience Class forum, this is for people who have at least one year of Canadian work experience.

There is a different forum for Federal Skilled Workers.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/skilled-worker-professional-immigration.4/

bouncer_anna

Nov 30, 2017

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
My work experience has been for the past 3 years in Canada with the same organization; however, the number of hours is variable depending on the workload at hand. It can fluctuate between 20-30 (or even occasionally 40 in OT) and has for months at a time been a minimum of 25. Not sure whether I should average this out? Or list it as 20-30?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
My work experience has been for the past 3 years in Canada with the same organization; however, the number of hours is variable depending on the workload at hand. It can fluctuate between 20-30 (or even occasionally 40 in OT) and has for months at a time been a minimum of 25. Not sure whether I should average this out? Or list it as 20-30?
It all depends on what you are wiling and able to document. You can write a letter of explanation about fluctuating hours (or better yet, your employer should explain this in the work experience letter). Or if your letter says "a minimum of 25 hours..." you can just use 25 hours per week (doesn't matter if you have more, but it would matter if you have significantly fewer than 25 * total # of weeks).

If you chose to average actual hours worked, you can use a max of 30 hours per week; divide the total by 30 to get the total number of full-time equivalent weeks.

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
It all depends on what you are wiling and able to document. You can write a letter of explanation about fluctuating hours (or better yet, your employer should explain this in the work experience letter). Or if your letter says "a minimum of 25 hours..." you can just use 25 hours per week (doesn't matter if you have more, but it would matter if you have significantly fewer than 25 * total # of weeks).

If you chose to average actual hours worked, you can use a max of 30 hours per week; divide the total by 30 to get the total number of full-time equivalent weeks.
thanks, my employer is willing to clarify that if I do get an ITA; I think for my EE profile, I'll err on the low side and just claim 20/week to be safe that I'm not misrepresenting myself. Not sure if there'd be a significant increase in CRS points by inputting 25 hours as a safe average.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
thanks, my employer is willing to clarify that if I do get an ITA; I think for my EE profile, I'll err on the low side and just claim 20/week to be safe that I'm not misrepresenting myself. Not sure if there'd be a significant increase in CRS points by inputting 25 hours as a safe average.
Well, depending on the # of weeks worked, it could be the difference between 1 vs 2 complete years... (you don't get points for a partial year). That would make a difference in points.

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018

Things to keep in mind:

Hi jes_ON - Besides waiting to qualify for CEC, I am also submitting an EOI for Ontario's Master grad stream. While Federal govt is ok with any number of hours worked per week as long as it adds up to 1560 hours over a period of at least 52 weeks, Ontario seems to have a different interpretation. They consider less than 15 hr per week ineligible. OINP just replied to my email saying this.
"Full-time work equivalent means:
  • No fewer than 30 hours of paid work per week; or
  • Concurrent employment in multiple positions for no fewer than 30 hours per week; or
  • 15 hours to 30 hours (part-time) is equivalent to half the period for full-time work (i.e. 2 months of part-time work experience is equal to 1 month of full-time work experience)
This means that individuals may work in more than one job for at least 30 hours per week, for one year, that amounts to at least 1,560 hours of paid work in a one year period. However if individuals are working in one job only for less than 15 hours per week, this is ineligible as it is not considered part-time work."