+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there a fee for my common-law partner to apply for a work permit?

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am sponsoring my common-law partner and we submitted the application March 2021.
We did not include a work permit application which we realized was a mistake since he is out of status and cannot work.
Since we haven't received any updates on his permanent resident application after the biometrics last September 2021,
we have decided for him to send an open work permit application. On the website it says:

'If your spouse or common-law partner has already submitted an application for permanent residence but hasn’t applied for an open work permit, they can submit a completed IMM 5710 and the correct fee to this address:

• Case Processing Centre in Edmonton
    Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada
    c/o Work permits for spouses or common-law partners, Station 777
    9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55
    Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3"

I am trying to look for the option to settle the "correct fee" in the eservices payment section.
Should I be selecting temporary residence on the "what type of application are you submitting" section?
If I select permanent residence, it does not provide a work permit option.

Here's a reference photo:
Thanks for the answers ahead.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Did he try to restore his status? He cannot apply for OWP if he's out of status until the inland application reach AIP.
(some said it can be included on the paper based application putting a note on the application to process only after AIP)
If he is still within 90days from his last status expiry, he should apply to restore it.

BTW.. your posts are confusing.. you were applying for TRV/student visa back in Apr 2021....

Sorry I do not know the answer of your questions.

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
We already got the AIP and we want to submit a separate application for open work permit.
He is out of status and we wanna restore his status yes. We are waiting for the result of the inland application but there hasn't been a lot of progress
in Ecas

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We already got the AIP and we want to submit a separate application for open work permit.
He is out of status and we wanna restore his status yes. We are waiting for the result of the inland application but there hasn't been a lot of progress
in Ecas
If he has already received AIP there is no point applying for an OWP plus he is out of status. An OWP is currently taking around 6-8 months so he should have PR by then.

Reactions: Ponga