+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there a definition of "immediately residing" in Canada after landing?

Danaan

Star Member
Jan 23, 2017
Virginia, USA
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
My partner and I have received our CoPRs and are planning how to land. Currently we live near the border in Washington state and travel to Vancouver weekly to visit family. We also own a home in Canada we are renovating.

Technically we would be making a “soft landing” to activate our PR status, and not permanently moving all of our household goods until next summer. However, because we already own a home there and will be traveling back and forth between residences either way, is there any reason we shouldn’t claim our initial landing as permanent with a declaration of goods to follow? We would be taking a few household essentials to our new house and spending time there, but not living there full time until renovations are completed.

I think this is kind of a weird grey area situation. I don’t want to dishonestly state my “intention of residing immediately in Canada,” but it’s also not clear to me what the definition of “residing” is.

Should we try to explain the situation to the officer when we land, or should we give the minimum information required? If anyone has any experience or information to aid our planning I would very much appreciate it.