+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is the sponsor (common-law partner) considered a dependant/additional family?

alinapopa.19

Jan 27, 2018
My information (as the sponsor) is already all through the application so I can't imagine that I would be considered a dependant or additional family of my common-law partner who I'm sponsoring but it's not really clear anywhere.. As the sponsor, should I be adding myself wherever it asks about my principle applicants common-law partner?

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
I don't really understand your question but to answer what I think you asked.. anywhere it asks the PA to fill in common law partner info..yes...your info should be put down.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My information (as the sponsor) is already all through the application so I can't imagine that I would be considered a dependant or additional family of my common-law partner who I'm sponsoring but it's not really clear anywhere.. As the sponsor, should I be adding myself wherever it asks about my principle applicants common-law partner?
You are not a dependent. You do need to be listed on the Additional Family form.

alinapopa.19

Jan 27, 2018
Even though I'm the Canadian Citizen who is sponsoring the PA?

My question is mainly applying to the part in the Generic Application Form (IMM0008) that's asking for the Dependants information as well as the Additional Family Information - both ask for the common-law partner to also fill it out, but given that my information is already in the application where it asks for the Sponsor to fill things out, I'm just wondering if I'm considered a Dependant and Additional Family and need to fill out those parts as well

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
I've listed myself on the Additional Family for as his Common-law partner but do I also need to fill out an entire Additional Family form too?
If you are the Canadian Citizen or PR who is sponsoring, then you are the Sponsor and cannot be listed as a Dependent

You cannot be listed as a Dependent in IMM0008 form.

IMM0008 should have the information for the Principal Applicant and the Principal Applicant Dependent like their Child.

Your information should be listed as the Sponsor in the forms (e.g., IMM1344, IMM5532).

As the Sponsor, you should be listed as the Spouse or Common Law partner in IMM5406 form - Additional Family Form - Section A.

Last edited:

alinapopa.19

Jan 27, 2018
If you are the Canadian Citizen who is sponsoring, then you are the Sponsor and cannot be listed as a Dependent

You cannot be listed as a Dependent in IMM0008 form.

IMM0008 should have the information for the Principal Applicant.

Your information should be listed as the Sponsor in the forms (e.g., IMM1344, IMM5532).

As the Sponsor, you should be listed as the Spouse or Common Law partner in IMM5406 form - Additional Family Form - Section A.
Perfect, thank you! And I don't need to fill out an entire Addition Family form myself then either right? I just go in section A of the PA's form

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Perfect, thank you! And I don't need to fill out an entire Addition Family form myself then either right? I just go in section A of the PA's form
Correct