+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is the job offer valid for NOC 2171 without LMIA on dependent open work permit for express entry?

Chirag2807

Aug 12, 2020
I landed in Canada in December 2019 and now working in an IT company from Feb 2020 on a dependent open work permit. I completed my IETS and planning to apply for Express entry. However, recently got to know the job offer is not valid since my company has not done LMIA. I'm working on NOC 2171 currently and has not completed my 1 year. QUestion: Is the job offer valid for NOC 2171 without LMIA on dependent open work permit?

willapp

Mar 20, 2020
Unless it’s a LMIA exempt occupation, you cannot claim CRS points without LMIA.
Don’t know what you mean by valid here. Type of work permit doesn’t matter much here I guess.

Chirag2807

Aug 12, 2020
Unless it’s a LMIA exempt occupation, you cannot claim CRS points without LMIA.
Don’t know what you mean by valid here. Type of work permit doesn’t matter much here I guess.
Thank you for your reply! How do I identify if it is a LMIA exempt occupation? I have a valid job offer but was hired in Canada through Open Spousal work permit.

willapp

Mar 20, 2020
Thank you for your reply! How do I identify if it is a LMIA exempt occupation? I have a valid job offer but was hired in Canada through Open Spousal work permit.
You can check this on IRCC website. Not many NOCs are on the list though.
If you want to claim points for a job offer, I think you will have to go through the LMIA process.
You need to think about what's your current CRS and how many more you need to get the ITA. Maybe you don't necessarily need the additional points.