+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is soft landing legal? How safe it is?

Ordinary

Feb 18, 2015
What if our PR card is misplaced by delivery guy/our friend? Is there way to order new pr card?

dell2

Feb 3, 2011
Calgary, Alberta.
If your PR card is lost, stolen or destroyed while you are in Canada, contact IRCC through this Web form to report what happened. Then you can apply for a replacement PR card. You must fill out section G (solemn declaration) when completing the application and pay the $50 processing fee.

If your PR Card is lost or stolen while you are outside Canada, you should report the loss or theft to the nearest Canadian visa office. To return to Canada, you’ll need to apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD). It is only valid for one entry into Canada. Once you are back in Canada, you can apply for a replacement PR card. You must fill out section G (solemn declaration) when completing the application and pay the $50 processing fee.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=047&top=10

Reactions: Cbhav1

Ordinary

Feb 18, 2015
dell2 said:
If your PR card is lost, stolen or destroyed while you are in Canada, contact IRCC through this Web form to report what happened. Then you can apply for a replacement PR card. You must fill out section G (solemn declaration) when completing the application and pay the $50 processing fee.

If your PR Card is lost or stolen while you are outside Canada, you should report the loss or theft to the nearest Canadian visa office. To return to Canada, you’ll need to apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD). It is only valid for one entry into Canada. Once you are back in Canada, you can apply for a replacement PR card. You must fill out section G (solemn declaration) when completing the application and pay the $50 processing fee.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=047&top=10
Good Info..but it doesnt mention that soft landing is legal. Has CIC mentioned that soft landing is legal anywhere on its website?

kirtivsingh

Dec 13, 2011
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
12-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
LANDED..........
21-08-2016
dell2 said:
what is soft landing ? never heard before.
What I understand by soft landing is - you land and than go back to your country and come back at a later time.

Their is no place where it says it's wrong. you can do that and my uncle did that too. he came gave his friend's address and went back. Than came back after an year.

Only issue occurs if you dont stay for a set periord of time in Canada after landing, because PR card have a expiry date of 5 years since landing. IF you are not in canada for an X amount of days in those 5 years you will not be able to renew the PR card.

Andre_Smol

Dec 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
FSW Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Nomination.....
18-09-2015
AOR Received.
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
06-11-2015
Passport Req..
07-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2016
Ordinary said:
What if our PR card is misplaced by delivery guy/our friend? Is there way to order new pr card?
There is no requirement to remain in canada after landing.

The moment you have your copr stamped, you are a permanent resident and the only obligation you have is to meet the 2 out of 5 requirement when renewing your PR card. Other than that you can come and go as you like.

Thats why you can apply for a PR travel document to allow you to enter canada without a pr card.

No issues with a soft landing at all.

Kamy29

May 30, 2016
Hi All,

I've received my COPR papers and have the following queries:

My Immigrant visa is a single entry visa and my landing port is Toronto. I had applied for PR from India. Currently I am deputed to London UK until December 2016. I plan to relocate to Canada permanently sometime in 2017. I plan to soft land in Toronto and return to London in 2 weeks.

1. Can I soft land and return to London after 2 weeks? Does any minimum period of stay after landing apply?
2. I understand I can get my PR card delivered to a friend’s address in Toronto post landing. Can I get it posted to India or London via courier? Is it safe?

Thanks

Andre_Smol

Dec 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
FSW Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Nomination.....
18-09-2015
AOR Received.
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
06-11-2015
Passport Req..
07-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2016
Kamy29 said:
Hi All,

I've received my COPR papers and have the following queries:

My Immigrant visa is a single entry visa and my landing port is Toronto. I had applied for PR from India. Currently I am deputed to London UK until December 2016. I plan to relocate to Canada permanently sometime in 2017. I plan to soft land in Toronto and return to London in 2 weeks.

1. Can I soft land and return to London after 2 weeks? Does any minimum period of stay after landing apply?
2. I understand I can get my PR card delivered to a friend’s address in Toronto post landing. Can I get it posted to India or London via courier? Is it safe?

Thanks
1) no requirements. You can leave again at any time after landing.

2) if you have a friend who is willing to send the pr card to you, thats not a problem. Just make sure he uses a trackable parcel to minimize your risk of it being lost in the mail.

Kamy29

May 30, 2016
Thank you for your response.

I missed to ask one question in my earlier post. Is it advisable to apply for SIN on soft landing ?

Also I read about UPS mailbox is some other posts. What is it and how it can be used to get one's PR card delivered ?

Looking forward to your response.

Cheers !

Andre_Smol

Dec 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
FSW Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Nomination.....
18-09-2015
AOR Received.
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
06-11-2015
Passport Req..
07-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2016
Kamy29 said:
Thank you for your response.

I missed to ask one question in my earlier post. Is it advisable to apply for SIN on soft landing ?

Also I read about UPS mailbox is some other posts. What is it and how it can be used to get one's PR card delivered ?

Looking forward to your response.

Cheers !
Usually it is possible to get your SIN the same day of landing so assuming you are staying fir at least a few days, that should give you plenty of time to get SIN after landing.

Cannot help you with UPS mailbox but as long you have a friend in Canada, you cqn use his address to have your PR card sent there.

Sanazeh

Star Member
Mar 21, 2014
Andre_Smol said:
1) no requirements. You can leave again at any time after landing.

2) if you have a friend who is willing to send the pr card to you, thats not a problem. Just make sure he uses a trackable parcel to minimize your risk of it being lost in the mail.
Hi,

This is an old post but I am wondering if there is any update to this rule? I have been asking around people and I heard leaving Canada without PR card could be risky. Head that PR cards have RFID added to them lately and it could be detected if sent via post and therefore not recommended? How true is that?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Sanazeh said:
Hi,

This is an old post but I am wondering if there is any update to this rule? I have been asking around people and I heard leaving Canada without PR card could be risky. Head that PR cards have RFID added to them lately and it could be detected if sent via post and therefore not recommended? How true is that?
Soft landings so called are perfectly legal and people do them every day. They sort out their PR cards and sometimes SIN at the same time then get the PR card mailed to a friend who then forwards outside of the country often using a tracked mail service.

All this about RFID chips tracking mail of PR cards out of the country is nonsense as serves no pupose. The RFID chips are in place initially as a trial to assist land border agents in being set up in advance of a vehicle approaching a booth with PR occupants so they have the details in front of them to try and speed up a crossing. They may in future roll out the process to airports as well but for sure highly unlikely they are going to be tracking PR cards in the mail as it is not illegal to mail a PR card after all what do CIC do in first place they mail them just CIC wont mail outside Canada as they rightly expect the receiver to be living in Canada.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Guys, I received my COPR on Sept 29th, 2016. I am planning to do a soft landing in Canada next week. I was reading about the PRTD on the CIC website. It says that you must meet the obligation requirements in order to even apply for a PRTD!
So now I am confused and not sure if I should do it at all.

Here is the link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp

Please see the PR Obligation section.

Has someone recently done a soft landing and applied for a PRTD? Do we need to prove that we will be meeting the obligation requirements (staying at least 730 days in 5 years)? If yes, how can you prove? I definitely intend to move to Canada but would want to work out something with my current employer for possible transfer to Canada or find a good job in Canada before I move with all my stuff.

Any information will be helpful here. Thanks guys!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
yodheydhara said:
Guys, I received my COPR on Sept 29th, 2016. I am planning to do a soft landing in Canada next week. I was reading about the PRTD on the CIC website. It says that you must meet the obligation requirements in order to even apply for a PRTD!
So now I am confused and not sure if I should do it at all.

Here is the link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp

Please see the PR Obligation section.

Has someone recently done a soft landing and applied for a PRTD? Do we need to prove that we will be meeting the obligation requirements (staying at least 730 days in 5 years)? If yes, how can you prove? I definitely intend to move to Canada but would want to work out something with my current employer for possible transfer to Canada or find a good job in Canada before I move with all my stuff.
Did you actually read the section you are referring to?

If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years

-you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
canuck_in_uk said:
Did you actually read the section you are referring to?

If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years

-you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.
Hi Canuck_in_Uk. Yes you are right. Also there is another condition in there where it says if you have been a permanent resident for less than 5 years. That is what confused me.