+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is research visit to Canadian university counted as work experience?

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
Hi there everyone,

I hope you can help me to define whether I can count my PhD research visit to Canadian University as a work experience. I work and study at European University, and visited Canadian University for 1 year and 5 months. I entered the country with work visa (LMIA exempt). However, I did not get paid by the Canadian University but through a foundation/scholarship in Europe. However, it was a full-time visit and paid BUT not paid by the Canadian University (as I said before). Can I consider this as a work experience in Canada for the Express Entry or Federal Skilled Worker Program? Thank you for the help :)

Hopeful007

Feb 16, 2019
Hi there everyone,

I hope you can help me to define whether I can count my PhD research visit to Canadian University as a work experience. I work and study at European University, and visited Canadian University for 1 year and 5 months. I entered the country with work visa (LMIA exempt). However, I did not get paid by the Canadian University but through a foundation/scholarship in Europe. However, it was a full-time visit and paid BUT not paid by the Canadian University (as I said before). Can I consider this as a work experience in Canada for the Express Entry or Federal Skilled Worker Program? Thank you for the help :)
No, it needs to be paid by the Canadian university.

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
Thank you for the response :) I guess this experience has no use for EE profile?

alians802

Sep 21, 2019
I am a faculty member at a University outside Canada and I am negotiating to give an invitation from a Canadian University for 'Visiting Scholar (UnPaid)' for a duration of 12 months based on my University financial support (my source Uni).

The question is: "Should I request for a work permit (temporary resistance visa) or a visitor visa?" based on which reference?

If the answer is 'Visitor visa', how will be the status of my spouse and children and could my spouse give open work permit for a sabbatical period in Canada or not?

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
I am a faculty member at a University outside Canada and I am negotiating to give an invitation from a Canadian University for 'Visiting Scholar (UnPaid)' for a duration of 12 months based on my University financial support (my source Uni).

The question is: "Should I request for a work permit (temporary resistance visa) or a visitor visa?" based on which reference?

If the answer is 'Visitor visa', how will be the status of my spouse and children and could my spouse give open work permit for a sabbatical period in Canada or not?

I received one year, temporary work visa, LMIA exempt. That's probably what the university will offer for you. You need to talk to the Canadian university for details.

djshoki93

Aug 23, 2020
Hey There,
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but it seems that ultimately your application went through under CEC. So did that work experience actually count ? I had the same question ... that it may not count as canadian work experience under CEC, but it may count as such under FSW ...
thanks!
Hi there everyone,

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
Hey There,
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but it seems that ultimately your application went through under CEC. So did that work experience actually count ? I had the same question ... that it may not count as canadian work experience under CEC, but it may count as such under FSW ...
thanks!
OMG! It was accepted under CEC!! People have no idea what they are talking about!

while I wasn’t paid in Canada, my scholarship was enough proof that I attended Canadian university as a research visitor. I had a work permit. I wrote a long letter explaining why this experience should matter. And here I am, a permanent resident!

Princes2020

Jan 1, 2020
glad to report you that you were wrong and I am a permanent resident of Canada!! :) Went through CEC stream with my research visit experience.
Congratulations. Sometimes it’s tricky. Your situation was definitely a unique case and you convinced the VO that your experience was CEC. Btw when I started reading this thread ana read about your work permit I was also inclined that it would be CEC but then the question of getting paid by non Canadian institution caused confusion. Thanks for the update, it may help others in similar situation.

Reactions: djshoki93

djshoki93

Aug 23, 2020
OMG! It was accepted under CEC!! People have no idea what they are talking about!

while I wasn’t paid in Canada, my scholarship was enough proof that I attended Canadian university as a research visitor. I had a work permit. I wrote a long letter explaining why this experience should matter. And here I am, a permanent resident!
Thank you so much for the reply and congratulations! Based on your experience, what do you suggest to mention in the letter? I am thinking about the translation of the paystubs from the home institution, and perhaps the fact that taxes were filed on the worldwide income ?

djshoki93

Aug 23, 2020
Hi there everyone,

I called IRCC on this issue. And after a lot of back and forth and them checking and doublechecking with their 'technician', they told me the following. Let's assume that this is the situation:
1- You had a work permit (LMIA-exempt or not) which mentioned the Canadian institution by name as the employer.
2- You worked there for at least 1 year full time.
3- You were not paid by the Canadian institution, hence did not receive a T4 tax form. However you were paid by your home institution.
4- You did even file for taxes, as you had worldwide income.
5- You are even able to get a work reference letter from the Canadian institution, stating your responsibilities etc and the fact that you got paid by the home institution.

Even with all the above, the IRCC officer may decide to reject your application, as they may ask for further proof of your employee-employer relationship, explicitly the T4 tax form. I was also told that if the home institution agrees to pay the Canadian institution and then have the Canadian institution pay me, that would be enough of a proof, as then the Canadian institution would have to issue me a T4. But otherwise, the application may get rejected.

So all I can say, given the fact that @egam189 eventually got their PR even though they did not have a T4 tax form, is that IRCC guidelines are actually not quite clear on this and it literally depends on the officer and how much they want to be nit-picky.

So I want to ask @egam189 again, what exactly did you mention in your letter that convinced the officer. This could be very important and helpful for other ppl in this situation.

riceandnoodles

Feb 11, 2021
My PR application has been approved, under CEC. 6 months of my full time Canadian work experience claimed was worked here on a work permit, but paid out of another country. I did not pay taxes here for the 6 months of work and did not file for worldwide income either because I stayed here for less than 183 days in the year. My employer here did state in the reference letter that I worked with them for that 6 months, before leaving and then joining them permanently after spending some time back in my home country. I never wrote a letter explaining this.

Reactions: djshoki93

ryu19

Aug 20, 2022
Hey There,
It is old case but just wonder.
I am in a similar situation, my noc code 4011.
I get a salary from my home country but I don't get any payment in Canada.
I entered the country with work visa (LMIA exempt). However, I did not get paid by the Canadian University but through a foundation/scholarship in Europe. However, it was a full-time visit and paid BUT not paid by the Canadian University (as I said before). Can I consider this as a work experience in Canada for the Express Entry? I mean CEC.
Egam told that he did this job under CEC. Anyone else try it? or @egam189 if you are here please help me. Thank you for the help

djshoki93

Aug 23, 2020
Hey There,
I entered the country with work visa (LMIA exempt). However, I did not get paid by the Canadian University but through a foundation/scholarship in Europe. However, it was a full-time visit and paid BUT not paid by the Canadian University (as I said before). Can I consider this as a work experience in Canada for the Express Entry? I mean CEC.
Egam told that he did this job under CEC. Anyone else try it? or @egam189 if you are here please help me. Thank you for the help
Look at my previous long answer on this. You may exactly do everything that @egam189 did and yet get rejected because the officer may have a different (stricter) standard for the verification of your Canadian work experience.
Individual circumstances can matter a lot here. Express Entry thresholds are quite high these days, and my own instinct would be: If you have a score which is that high (>520) then the officer will probably accept your application even if they are not "comfortable" with you claiming the points for Canadian work experience, because even without that, you have shown to be among the very top applicants in all other categories. It would be a loss for Canada to not have you as a PR :D

azi_86

Sep 19, 2020
Hey There,
Hi There ,
Did you finally use your visit experience as Canadian work ex? I got an invitation letter for the Quebec skilled worker program. I claimed I have a one-year work experience in Quebec as a trainee (I used NOC 4011). I was paid by my home country, not by Canada like others. I should mail the documents in 90 days, and I am worried about my work experience proof. What if the officer won't be convinced? Do you have any advice for me?