+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is PGD worth it? Honest opinions?

life2525

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
You are assuming you get hired the day you get your pgwp. What if you can't find a job? You don't get points for Canadian work experience if you have no Canadian work experience.
For a 2 year course, you get 3 years PGWP. In the 3 years, it might take you half a year to max a year to secure a fresher level job?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
For a 2 year course, you get 3 years PGWP. In the 3 years, it might take you half a year to max a year to secure a fresher level job?
No. There's no max. time it will take you to secure a job.

You may find that you cannot secure a NOC A, B or 0 job at all and have to settle for a NOC C or D job which then gives you very limited options for PR.

It's very individual and no one can predict what will happen to you.

As everyone else has said, PGDs are very low value to Canadian employers. I generally ignore them completely on resumes. Master's are in a completely different category.

You'll be coming to Canada with no work experience which will work against you.

The sort answer to all of your questions is that there are absolutely no guarantees that you will secure the right kind of job and that you will get PR.

Best plan would be to get at least a year of skilled work experience before you come to Canada and then to take a Master's when you come to study here.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
There's no guarantee you'll even find a job before you run out of money. What if you can't finds job in half a year? One year? Two years? What then?

Maybe tommorow

Nov 2, 2020
It's up to you what you can and can't do. Canada immigration system is one of the hardest to get PR. Maybe things will change for the better, or for the worst, nobody knows. Most of the people I know who went to Canada as students either returned home after completing their studies because they didn't like the country, or managed to secure a job and stay. I have never heard of someone that failed to get a job post graduation, but keep in mind they all did masters or PhD. All I can advise is to find a really good university that can support you well through your studies. I'm at the University of Saskatchewan and while the instructors are slightly better than ones back home, the university is horribly run. Today they literally told me to go to a third party for services I paid for in my tuition because the campus is closed....meanwhile a family member in the states is going to classes and enjoying the city and stuff...

So get a masters in one of the public universities in the big cities (Toronto, Vancouver) so you actually have the willingness to go through with this immigration system

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
This is a really interesting and eye opening thread.

What are you guy's thoughts about doing a PGD and then a master's? Would universities even consider a GPA and letters of recommendation from colleges such as Conestoga?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
This is a really interesting and eye opening thread.

What are you guy's thoughts about doing a PGD and then a master's? Would universities even consider a GPA and letters of recommendation from colleges such as Conestoga?
It has been for me as well. I applied for a PGD basically because of the cost of a master. I'm applying at Fanshawe, which I read is well recognized. I would have definitely preferred a master but, as I mentioned, the difference in costs is almost double for a master compared to a PGD (at least in the best recognized universities). I already have a PDG and a master in my home country, plus 8 years of experience in my field (mechanical engineer) so I am taking this one year PGD in Canada as a bridge to get a job a little easier, get my wife to improve her English during this time and finally make it to the PR. I guess it depends on every case, but it's been interesting reading all these different opinions.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
It has been for me as well. I applied for a PGD basically because of the cost of a master. I'm applying at Fanshawe, which I read is well recognized. I would have definitely preferred a master but, as I mentioned, the difference in costs is almost double for a master compared to a PGD (at least in the best recognized universities). I already have a PDG and a master in my home country, plus 8 years of experience in my field (mechanical engineer) so I am taking this one year PGD in Canada as a bridge to get a job a little easier, get my wife to improve her English during this time and finally make it to the PR. I guess it depends on every case, but it's been interesting reading all these different opinions.
But then there's issues with VISA as we already have master's and won't be showing career progression. :|

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Exactly just opinions, mechanical engineers usually find a job very easily in Canada. Most of my friends & family are in the same profession over there. What works for one may not work for another. It's not about discouraging but spreading awareness. Industries are not that much automated in Canada compared to the US and still require men who could do the job, it's an evergreen field. A field less competitive in general, compared to IT.

Reactions: andrews17

life2525

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
But then there's issues with VISA as we already have master's and won't be showing career progression. :|
This is my problem, I have a masters offer from other countries but im not eligible for any in Canada. I want to do PGD after my masters but there are high visa rejection chances right?

Doing a PGD right after bachelors is useless.. spoke to many people, everyone says PGD aren't even recognized and are worthless if you have no experience.

seff786

Apr 26, 2019
Only worth it if you know what you are getting yourself into i.e you have connections in Canada, the right experience & knowledge etc. I have seen many freshers from my University where I did my engineering returning back from Toronto after doing PGD. 3 years of PGWP was spent for tourism and sightseeing. Right now Ontario is doomed by COVID-19 and the job prospects are even more pounded by COVID-19. Just sharing a dose of reality, it's up to you make the decision. It's doubtful even if one has the experience. Not only PGD as I even came to know of some Master degree students being jobless. 3 day 2000$ quarantine is the cherry on the top. Only a few places in Canada are unaffected by COVID-19.
I just got an admit at UofT for the mba program so hopefully things change two years down the line. I am 29 btw so a little worried how this will pan out. Do you reckon this is a safer bet?

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
I just got an admit at UofT for the mba program so hopefully things change two years down the line. I am 29 btw so a little worried how this will pan out. Do you reckon this is a safer bet?
UofT is tier 1, its impossible to be jobless after you complete. Situation may improve by then.

seff786

Apr 26, 2019
It's up to you what you can and can't do. Canada immigration system is one of the hardest to get PR. Maybe things will change for the better, or for the worst, nobody knows. Most of the people I know who went to Canada as students either returned home after completing their studies because they didn't like the country, or managed to secure a job and stay. I have never heard of someone that failed to get a job post graduation, but keep in mind they all did masters or PhD. All I can advise is to find a really good university that can support you well through your studies. I'm at the University of Saskatchewan and while the instructors are slightly better than ones back home, the university is horribly run. Today they literally told me to go to a third party for services I paid for in my tuition because the campus is closed....meanwhile a family member in the states is going to classes and enjoying the city and stuff...

So get a masters in one of the public universities in the big cities (Toronto, Vancouver) so you actually have the willingness to go through with this immigration system

arindam.d

Feb 14, 2018
NOC Code......
That's a good one though its risky its still possible, seen many get approved with Masters provided you present your 10/10 LOE .
Hi @Ironclad, I have done masters (MCA) in distance education and now applied for PGD cyber security. May I have your views! if possible, will get positive visa approval?