+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is personal health insurance really necessary in BC?

Mutsuki

Mar 7, 2018
I had bought a basic medical insurance before arriving in BC but after a year I'm debating if I should cancel it for two reasons. 1) If your income is low, Fair PharmaCare covers prescription drugs. 2) Even if you get sick a lot and have to buy many prescription drugs, you don't seem to get reimbursed more than you paid for the insurance, e.g. if annual premium is $700 and you end up paying $1000 for drugs, some drugs are not covered or coverage is limited etc, it seems lucky if $500 is paid by the insurer. So you paid $500 by yourself. Your total medical expense is $1200 for the year. It could have been only $1000 if you didn't buy the insurance.

So my question is, is it really a good idea to buy a personal health insurance if you don't have one form your employer? Am I missing anything in considering personal health insurance? I will appreciate any input. Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you been to the dentist yet? That can be very expensive.Not sure whether it is just a drug plan. Sounds like your plan may not be the best so you should review your coverage in general. Would you qualify for fair pharmacare? Always a risk I would suggest you look into your plan and debate if you could cover the cost if you were prescribed a more expensive medication.