+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is OHIP delayed for PR's dure to Covid?

Jaybee43

Feb 28, 2019
Hello all,

My sponsored wife arrived in Ontario January 25th 2020 and is expecting her OHIP April 25th 2020. Anybody know if this is delayed due to the covid pandemic? Has onyone received a new OHIP card recently? Thanks in advance

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
The three month wait was waived... centers are closed but you may be able to get info online

cursor18

May 31, 2015
Hello all,

My sponsored wife arrived in Ontario January 25th 2020 and is expecting her OHIP April 25th 2020. Anybody know if this is delayed due to the covid pandemic? Has onyone received a new OHIP card recently? Thanks in advance
Call Service Ontario, tell them you need a OHIP Record of transaction (cant remember the exact name). Its basically an A4 paper that comes in the mail within a week that says the person is covered by OHIP. The card will arrive only after 3 months. But that A4 paper acts as temp card
My wife got hers yesterday in the mail

Jaybee43

Feb 28, 2019
The three month wait was waived... centers are closed but you may be able to get info online
Thank you. From what I know the ohip wait for 3 months is waived if a permanent resident is in need of medical treatment due to covid but nothing else. Am I correct ?

Jaybee43

Feb 28, 2019
Call Service Ontario, tell them you need a OHIP Record of transaction (cant remember the exact name). Its basically an A4 paper that comes in the mail within a week that says the person is covered by OHIP. The card will arrive only after 3 months. But that A4 paper acts as temp card
My wife got hers yesterday in the mail
We went in person to a service canada location and filed for the ohip. They gave us an official receipt which on it states. she is "eligable for ohip as of 25 April 2020. Would this suffice ? We never got anything in the mail after we applied. Her employer told.her that she needs ohip coverage in order to continue her employment which I find strange as I bought her supplemental health insurance to cover her in the 3 month waiting period.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you. From what I know the ohip wait for 3 months is waived if a permanent resident is in need of medical treatment due to covid but nothing else. Am I correct ?
Not correct. The wait period is waived for everyone who qualifies for OHIP and for those who don't qualify, i.e. visitors, the costs of COVID-19 services are still covered.

cursor18

May 31, 2015
We went in person to a service canada location and filed for the ohip. They gave us an official receipt which on it states. she is "eligable for ohip as of 25 April 2020. Would this suffice ? We never got anything in the mail after we applied. Her employer told.her that she needs ohip coverage in order to continue her employment which I find strange as I bought her supplemental health insurance to cover her in the 3 month waiting period.
Correct, the official receipt says she will be eligible on 25 Apr. What happens if she needs OHIP services on say 15 Apr? She wont be covered as existing official receipt isnt going to help her then. This was the route everyone had to go through pre arrival of COVID19

Post Covid19, the 3 month wait does not apply. Hence you need to call Service Ontario (as physical branches are closed) requesting OHIP record of transaction. That is a new official receipt that arrives week from now (say on 10 Apr). And she will be eligible for OHIP on 11 Apr onwards (not 25 Apr as per the old receipt)

Its your decision to wait until 25 Apr to be eligible or get it asap

Jaybee43

Feb 28, 2019
Correct, the official receipt says she will be eligible on 25 Apr. What happens if she needs OHIP services on say 15 Apr? She wont be covered as existing official receipt isnt going to help her then. This was the route everyone had to go through pre arrival of COVID19

Post Covid19, the 3 month wait does not apply. Hence you need to call Service Ontario (as physical branches are closed) requesting OHIP record of transaction. That is a new official receipt that arrives week from now (say on 10 Apr). And she will be eligible for OHIP on 11 Apr onwards (not 25 Apr as per the old receipt)

Its your decision to wait until 25 Apr to be eligible or get it asap
Thanks for the info ! Will give them a call tomorrow !

Sgh123

Jun 20, 2018
So the OHIP is only covering covid-19 but nothing else? What about if you need immediate medical care? Do you have to wait 3 months still?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I read it. It is kind of confusing. Can someone with experience tell me the timelines of application and receiving the actual card after receiving the PR.
I really appreciate it
It clearly states: Ontario is waiving the three-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage.

How is that confusing?

Sgh123

Jun 20, 2018
It clearly states: Ontario is waiving the three-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage.

How is that confusing?
I am confused as of how long after you apply, you should be covered?
It says waived, but in my mind it didn't say immediately covered. I am sorry, if I offended you

Reactions: aurelero