+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is oath mandatory for kids when opted in?

jan_svab

Apr 22, 2017
I have a question about kids presence at the oath. My tracker turned all green recently so I expect my oath to be in abour 2-3 months from now. We have booked a summer camp for our kids and I think it's possible the oath will be scheduled for that time. My question is - is it mandatory for the kids to take the oath once opted in?
Relevant information:
- at the time we sent the application (2020), the kids were younger than 14 years
- older child is already 14 now
- we have checked the box at question 11 of the application form "If the minor is under 14 years of age, check the box to indicate if they would like to attend a citizenship ceremony" on both kids' applications

The reason why I'm asking is that if the oath is mandatory, I'd have to cancel the camp if the date of the oath comes up during the camp. It's way lower cancellation fees to cancel now rather than immediately before the camp. On the other hand, I don't want to ruin kid's summer when the oath date is totally up in the air so far. Any advices are welcome.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I have a question about kids presence at the oath. My tracker turned all green recently so I expect my oath to be in abour 2-3 months from now. We have booked a summer camp for our kids and I think it's possible the oath will be scheduled for that time. My question is - is it mandatory for the kids to take the oath once opted in?
Relevant information:
- at the time we sent the application (2020), the kids were younger than 14 years
- older child is already 14 now
- we have checked the box at question 11 of the application form "If the minor is under 14 years of age, check the box to indicate if they would like to attend a citizenship ceremony" on both kids' applications

The reason why I'm asking is that if the oath is mandatory, I'd have to cancel the camp if the date of the oath comes up during the camp. It's way lower cancellation fees to cancel now rather than immediately before the camp. On the other hand, I don't want to ruin kid's summer when the oath date is totally up in the air so far. Any advices are welcome.
I was asked to bring my son(age 13) till ID is verified. CIC officer is not expecting them to be for oath but seems they want the kids to be in the country and on the call till the verification is complete.

As per my understanding, age on oath day matters, not while applying for citizenship. So i expect the officer asks for the 14 year old to take oath with you.

jan_svab

Apr 22, 2017
Thanks for your information. Was anyone in the same situation, their kids reaching 14 between the application and the oath?