+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Notice of Assessment from CRA enough as a proof for work?

Mike Z

Jul 17, 2014
Hi Experts,

Is Notice of Assessment from CRA enough as a proof for self employed work? Any experience in this regard? I am a self employed and I report a professional income in my file tax return every year. I don't have T4 or letters from employers.

Thanks,

Mike

canada4evr

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
Being self employed is fine, however it can trigger RQ. If you have income at NOA matching your daily expenses (rent, bills, car insurance, etc) then you should be OK.

Mike Z

Jul 17, 2014
Thanks for your reply but the income from self employed is not enough to cover the living expenses, so that I am covering the remainder from my savings along with some family support back home. Is it a problem? What shall I do? Please advise?

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is this for an RQ response or for your initial application?

It's important to remember that employment or the ability to support yourself is not a qualification for citizenship
, and that the CIC requests employment information as a proxy for proof of residence. One easy way for the CIC to see that you've been in Canada is if you've shown up at a workplace everyday where lots of other Canadians saw you (and ideally discussed hockey, maple syrup and Tim Horton's with you).

So, those of us who work at home are a little harder for the CIC to assess.

If this is for an RQ response, you need to provide other sorts of information showing your presence (rental agreements, credit card statements, parking tickets, volunteer letters, whatever) in addition to your self-employment NOAs.

If this is for your initial application you need to think about what sort of employment-related records you have that suggest your presence in Canada. If you have had contracts with Canadians or Canadian companies I recommend including copies of those. If you have done volunteer work I recommend including records of that as well.

In the past self-employment and any travel during the 4 year period were RQ triggers (even if the travel and the self-employment weren't at the same time). This RQ trigger has been updated and made significantly less rigorous, but since CIC does not release "active investigatory tools" we don't know the exact changes or text of the revised RQ triggers.

TLDR: Include your NOAs and any other employment related documents. You're probably won't get an RQ.

Good luck.

Mike Z

Jul 17, 2014
Thank you for your valuable reply, I hope I won't get an RQ. I know the employment information is required as a good proof for residency, but I have also some travels around 11 trips during the past 4 years. One of the trips was 80 days back home, and the rest are short trips, and at the same time, I am eligible and have around 1224 days in Canada.

Since I am not very sure of all travel dates, do you think it's better if I order the CBSA report to check my dates first, and then will give the CIC my consent to contact CBSA in the application?

For example, one of the trips when I came back from the US border by car, I did not see the officer swipe my PR card, so I am confused here, because there is no stamp or record when entered Canada.

Many thanks.....

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are allowed to travel, but yes, it's best to be as sure as possible of the dates as this helps guard your credibility in the eyes of CIC. Here are the recommendations I give to RQ recipients, which apply to applicants as well

a. Triple check all passport stamps
b. Search date ranges in old email files for emails to family or friends about your travel plans.
c. Search date ranges in old email files for receipts of car rentals, plane or train tickets.
d. Search any old personal date books or calendars your have from past years.
e. Search any online calendars you have for past years.
f. If you have been in a relationship for some or all of your time in Canada, search their records as well.

Bank and credit card statements can help you narrow down where you were on what day as well.

Order a CBSA if that would be helpful to you (though not foolproof as they make mistakes too!)
Also, you can order you US I-94 border records (google it) as long as you aren't a US citizen.

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
When those applicants with fake residency were being investigated, they had their lawyer to use credit cards under their name, some fake companies which would declare that they come to work every day, fake rental with bills, etc., for the last 3 years before applying.
The best way to see that one was in Canada or not, is from the border check and passport stamps. For these, lawyer won't be able to fake it for you. I was thinking what if some lawyers go crazy and make some fake stamps?

eileenf said:
Is this for an RQ response or for your initial application?

It's important to remember that employment or the ability to support yourself is not a qualification for citizenship
, and that the CIC requests employment information as a proxy for proof of residence. One easy way for the CIC to see that you've been in Canada is if you've shown up at a workplace everyday where lots of other Canadians saw you (and ideally discussed hockey, maple syrup and Tim Horton's with you).

So, those of us who work at home are a little harder for the CIC to assess.