+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is my USA AA, BA degree worth anything in Canada?

BossJosh

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey i know that i have to get my education recognized by the Canadian government, but I've been hearing from others, and they were telling me to not even waste my time or money trying to do so because it wont count much for anything. Apparently, since i didn't earn my degrees from Canada, and that I don't have any Canadian experience, I would be starting completely over, guys, this cant be true? I'm not trying to start any rumors, but i got to know if this is false or not. Guys who have already been through this step, how valuable was your degree compared to the Canadian standards of education?

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
BossJosh said:
Hey i know that i have to get my education recognized by the Canadian government, but I've been hearing from others, and they were telling me to not even waste my time or money trying to do so because it wont count much for anything. Apparently, since i didn't earn my degrees from Canada, and that I don't have any Canadian experience, I would be starting completely over, guys, this cant be true? I'm not trying to start any rumors, but i got to know if this is false or not. Guys who have already been through this step, how valuable was your degree compared to the Canadian standards of education?
I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but in Quebec there's at least one reason you'd want to have your credentials evaluated. It's a requirement to have this done if you're applying for jobs in the provincial or (usually) a municipal civil service - this could be anything from a prison guard to a librarian to a call centre employee.

As for private employers, I doubt having a BA from a US institution evaluated would be very useful, since people here are pretty familiar with the US system, and will naturally assume it's equivalent to a Canadian BA.

Whether an evaluation of an AA would be useful might depend on the province. For example, in Quebec, having an AA recognized as equivalent to a DEC with a professional specialization could potentially be quite useful. In other provinces it will depend on whether there is a particular equivalent diploma that is in demand on the part of employers.

What you read about "Canadian experience" is largely a result of a perception on the part of employers that foreign work cultures are too different from Canada. So they wonder whether an employee will adapt to a Canadian work environment. While this is understandable concerning lawyers, accountants, etc., where differences in laws and procedures are significant, in other cases I think this is actually often used as a front for a form of xenophobia - a feeling that it's the person who may be too different culturally. Having Canadian experience then acts as a kind of badge of approval.

Since nobody feels the U.S. is all that different from English Canada culturally, this isn't likely to be a problem for you if that's where you've worked. Employers will expect that a U.S. workplace is broadly similar to a Canadian one.

BossJosh

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow, thankyou so much for responding, I was on the verge of deleting this. What you said, made a lot of sense, and now im starting to think that I should just do one credential for now, (my BA) and the rest I will just leave alone until its truly needed. I was thinking the samething, that usa and canada are pretty similar countries, so it wouldnt make sense for a person from the usa to gain CAN experience just to get an average good paying job.

I will be applying mostly in the BC province, but based on everything you stated up above, Im sure I shouldnt have a problem finding employment with what i have already. I just wish that instead of waiting for the PR to go through, that I could get an early start now. Yet if i applied for a temp. work visa, by the time that comes, my PR would be done by then. I believe i have about 7 months left to go, stage 2 is already underway (outland). I guess ill try to volunteer until i can officially work up there.

Again, thankyou for replying, I was worried that I was going to have to spend over a grand just to have all my credentials, recognized, but now ill just do one now to be safe, and I should be good afterthat. I really appreciate it.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
BossJosh said:
Wow, thankyou so much for responding, I was on the verge of deleting this. What you said, made a lot of sense, and now im starting to think that I should just do one credential for now, (my BA) and the rest I will just leave alone until its truly needed. I was thinking the samething, that usa and canada are pretty similar countries, so it wouldnt make sense for a person from the usa to gain CAN experience just to get an average good paying job.

I will be applying mostly in the BC province, but based on everything you stated up above, Im sure I shouldnt have a problem finding employment with what i have already. I just wish that instead of waiting for the PR to go through, that I could get an early start now. Yet if i applied for a temp. work visa, by the time that comes, my PR would be done by then. I believe i have about 7 months left to go, stage 2 is already underway (outland). I guess ill try to volunteer until i can officially work up there.

Again, thankyou for replying, I was worried that I was going to have to spend over a grand just to have all my credentials, recognized, but now ill just do one now to be safe, and I should be good afterthat. I really appreciate it.
You're welcome.

Before getting your BA evaluated, find out whether this tends to be a requirement for public sector jobs in BC. Otherwise, it most likely won't be necessary.

WorkBC is the provincial government body that assists jobseekers. They might be able to give you more specific information about whether a credential evaluation would be useful in your case.

http://www.workbc.ca/Education-Training/Upgrade-Skills/Pages/Recognizing-Credentials.aspx

http://www.workbc.ca/Jobs/

Please also note that are certain "regulated occupations" such as nurse, psychologist, accountant, etc. If you want to practice one of these professions you need to satisfy the requirements of the provincial regulating body.

BossJosh

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow, thank you, for this info, it will confirm whether i really need a evaluation or not, and if im going to be going to a certain profession, this wil tell me everything that I may need to be egible to apply. Your a life saver.