+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is my PRTD request taking too long to process?

BAYYARI

Jul 18, 2015
It has been a bit more than two months (About 71 days) since I submitted my application in Saudi Arabia, Riyadh. Does it usually take this long to process this kind of applications before hearing from the embassy?

I can provide more information if it is necessary for you to give me a clear/accurate answer.

Thank you.

Edit: The application status tracker on the vfsglobal site is stating that my application is still being processed.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BAYYARI said:
It has been a bit more than two months (About 71 days) since I submitted my application in Saudi Arabia, Riyadh. Does it usually take this long to process this kind of applications before hearing from the embassy?

I can provide more information if it is necessary for you to give me a clear/accurate answer.

Thank you.

Edit: The application status tracker on the vfsglobal site is stating that my application is still being processed.
Typically PRTDs are issued faster relative to visitor visas. Riyadh quotes 24 days for visitor visa processing so at over 3 times longer there seems to be an issue with your application even accounting for the Hajj. Send a case specific query to https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/case-cas-eng.aspx?mission=riyadh . If you applied on H&C grounds then your application is not considered routine! Did you meet the RO at renewal date? Do you meet the RO now? If you have a US visa you may be better off entering via the land border especially if you were on the margins of the RO at PRTD application date.

BAYYARI

Jul 18, 2015
I have applied on H&C Grounds for being removed as a child without my consent. I have not met the RO. I'm going to submit a Case Specific Enquiry as you suggested.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BAYYARI said:
I have applied on H&C Grounds for being removed as a child without my consent. I have not met the RO. I'm going to submit a Case Specific Enquiry as you suggested.
H&C grounds mean your application will not be decided in the regular quoted timelines. 71 days is not unusual for the ME...we've seen timelines here longer than this. In hindsight it would have been more prudent to acquire a US visa then cross into Canada via a land border crossing. The border guard is more likely to give you a pass on the RO breach because he/she has a short time period to process your admission. The visa post has all the time they want to deal with your application. Unfortunately while CIC used to routinely issue PRTDs for PRs removed as a minor I notice a growing case law where visa posts are now refusing those applications, the PRs appeals but the courts side with CIC. I suspect part of the reason is that this wasn't a very well known H&C ground before but it is now (including through this forum) and the number of applications are rising. It may be a resource issue or a policy issue since the removed as a minor H&C ground is an operational policy not explicitly in the IRPA and IRPA regulations. I wish you good luck.

BAYYARI

Jul 18, 2015
Msafiri said:
H&C grounds mean your application will not be decided in the regular quoted timelines. 71 days is not unusual for the ME...we've seen timelines here longer than this. In hindsight it would have been more prudent to acquire a US visa then cross into Canada via a land border crossing. The border guard is more likely to give you a pass on the RO breach because he/she has a short time period to process your admission. The visa post has all the time they want to deal with your application. Unfortunately while CIC used to routinely issue PRTDs for PRs removed as a minor I notice a growing case law where visa posts are now refusing those applications, the PRs appeals but the courts side with CIC. I suspect part of the reason is that this wasn't a very well known H&C ground before but it is now (including through this forum) and the number of applications are rising. It may be a resource issue or a policy issue since the removed as a minor H&C ground is an operational policy not explicitly in the IRPA and IRPA regulations. I wish you good luck.
Now I'm worried :( I really hope they don't decline me after all of this wait, I never wanted to be removed from Canada and I have taken the first chance I got to go back at 18 years old, I don't see a reason why they would decline. How long do you think it will take for them to give me an answer? I imagine if they were really going to decline my application they would have done it much sooner, am I wrong? What if their answer is no? What is the best course of action for me to take if I get declined?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
BAYYARI said:
How long do you think it will take for them to give me an answer? I imagine if they were really going to decline my application they would have done it much sooner, am I wrong? What if their answer is no? What is the best course of action for me to take if I get declined?
It's really impossible for any of us to say how long it will take - H&C case processing times are very individual. A longer processing time is neither good nor bad - it just means they are taking longer to make a decision. The decision itself could still be positive or negative. If you are declined and want to try to save your PR status, your only option is to appeal the decision.

If you decide not to appeal or you appeal and lose - then your PR status will be gone and you would have to apply to immigration on your own from scratch if you want to be a permanent resident of Canada again.

However for now, there's nothing you can do but wait.

BAYYARI

Jul 18, 2015
Update: about 104 days have passed since I sent the application with no response from the embassy other than that it is being processed and that they cannot give me an exact date of when its due.

Just so I don't miss another semester of University, am I able to withdraw my application and resubmit it in Amman, Jordan where I will be studying the winter semester and wait for the application to complete its process there? Will it make a difference in their decision if I withdraw the application and resubmit it again in a different country?

If it is possible to withdraw my application, how long does it usually take for the embassy to acknowledge my request to withdraw it and complete the withdrawal process? Im asking this because I would like to withdraw it as close to the start of the winter semester as possible to give the embassy more time to process my current application and not prematurely withdraw it.

I appreciate your help.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. What was the response to your CSE?

2. In my opinion if the visa post has already started processing your application as it seems they have then withdrawing and re-applying at some other visa post won't make resolution any faster and if anything will just increase the overall processing time. The second visa post will have on file there was a prior application and they likely will check on where that first application had got to. This back and forth communication between the visa posts may hold your new application even longer!!

4. On the other hand maybe the second visa officer will be more sympathetic to your situation than the first one. They may also be less sympathetic...its a tough call. Typically though in visa type processes..withdrawing and re-submitting puts you at the back of the line again.

5. Maybe you could get your GCMS notes via the ATIP process (do a search on this here lots of info) to see what the issue is then make a decision based on this.

6. How feasible is it for you to get a US visa? Have you tried?

BAYYARI

Jul 18, 2015
Msafiri said:
1. What was the response to your CSE?

2. In my opinion if the visa post has already started processing your application as it seems they have then withdrawing and re-applying at some other visa post won't make resolution any faster and if anything will just increase the overall processing time. The second visa post will have on file there was a prior application and they likely will check on where that first application had got to. This back and forth communication between the visa posts may hold your new application even longer!!

3. On the other hand maybe the second visa officer will be more sympathetic to your situation than the first one. They may also be less sympathetic...its a tough call. Typically though in visa type processes..withdrawing and re-submitting puts you at the back of the line again.

4. Maybe you could get your GCMS notes via the ATIP process (do a search on this here lots of info) to see what the issue is then make a decision based on this.

5. How feasible is it for you to get a US visa? Have you tried?

1. This was their exact response: "Dear Applicant, Your application is under process.
Kindly be informed that we cannot give you an exact date as to when your application will be finalised."

2. I am okay with it taking as long as my current application IF in the end it doesn't affect their decision negatively what so ever. I only want to withdraw it and re-apply at Amman, Jordan because they have my passport and thus I can't travel to Jordan to start my university studies there while I wait for this process to finish, I don't want to miss another semester.

3. Tough call indeed. But I have to make my decision soon because they have my passport with them so I cannot travel to Jordan to study there in the meantime (Unless I can request only my passport back while continuing the application process if its possible?). I don't care that much about getting in the back of the line as long as it does not affect their final decision negatively.

4. I've never heard of this before, it seems to me like some kind of case specific status checker or something along those lines?

5. I could try and get one, should be no problem. But I don't understand what is the purpose of this.

Sorry, I have a lot of questions :-[ please bear with me.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. The ATIP process allows you to access your GCMS notes. These notes are recorded when your application are processed and could indicate what stage your application has reached or even identify what concerns they have. Obtaining these notes will be more helpful for you as the visa post is not giving you any useful feedback.

2. Getting a US visa will enable you to enter Canada via a US/Canada land border. If you enter Canada without being reported then you should immediately withdraw your PRTD application. From what we see on this forum the chances of saving your PR due to the RO breach is higher when you enter Canada via a land border compared to when you apply for PRTD. The border agent has less time compared tot he visa post to make a decision on report because he/she has to process many travellers in the shortest time (so the border doesn't get blocked since for some there are thousands of people crossing daily) and more importantly as he/she has an actual conversation with you can determine your credibility which is very important in H&C considerations.

3. Even if you are reported at the border you are admitted as per the constitution and remain a PR until your appeal is decided. This may take anywhere from 1-4 years so if you make good use of your time by doing something productive (school/work) at least you will have a foundation for a future plan even if the appeal is refused.

BAYYARI

Jul 18, 2015
Bumping this to ask another question. Really important that I get an answer to this question
Can I withdraw ONLY my passport so I can travel to another country to study while I wait for the current application to finish processing? Or do I have to withdraw the whole application in order to get my passport back from the embassy?

EDIT: I'm still waiting (about 12 days have passed) for the ATIP process to finish by the way.

priyabhee

Sep 23, 2015
hi even m in the same situation

was been removed as a child didnt meet pr residency obligation

now i applied for prtd its been more than 40 days.

update me if u recieved ur passport please

BAYYARI

Jul 18, 2015
priyabhee said:

I just got it a few days ago (about 140 days) thank god I didn't withdraw it.

fayella9

Apr 30, 2016
priyabhee said:

Hello, I have recently applied for a PRTD too, could you tell me if you've received your PRTD and how long it took you?Also which country did you apply from?