+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is my newborn able to enter Canada with me? (temporary foreign worker)

Blancherafal

Star Member
Nov 27, 2019
Good day sir. Are you and your wife already in Canada? I am also an open work permit holder and it will by my first time to land in Canada. Is there any other requirement that open work permit holders need to bring aside from the letter of introduction? Do I need to ask for an authorization letter from the Government of Canada for my entry?

Hoping to hear from you soon. Thank you.

cygoh9

Apr 6, 2020
Called Canada Border Service yesterday and they told us that we definitely can bring our child with us.
That is good to hear - do we need to obtain authorisation letter for the child to travel with us? I am going to start packing!

Icke

Jan 29, 2019
Germany
They didn’t mention it since the Child’s travel is mandatory.
As for now it looks like we’ll fly in about 10 days. I’ll give an update after arrival.

cygoh9

Apr 6, 2020
As for now it looks like we’ll fly in about 10 days. I’ll give an update after arrival.
Cool. May I know what is the contact number for the Canadian border force? I will give them a call as well

Mindy Baek

Mar 10, 2020
Hi!
I and my husband have approval for the study permit and open work permit.
We are in exact same situation with you guys.
We have 3-year-old son and he only has an eTA.

Please update when you enter Canada safely!
Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unless both parents jobs are considered essential and will be entering work there seems to be a lot of variation as to who gets admitted. Would suggest your whole family, especially the baby, get a letter giving yo7 permission to enter Canada. What CBSA says and what happens is not always the same thing. There has been a lot of inconsistencies.

Icke

Jan 29, 2019
Germany
Just landed and waiting for our connection flight.
Everything went really smooth and easy.
Air Canada called the embassy to make sure we’re allowed to enter before we where allowed to board and that’s been it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just landed and waiting for our connection flight.
Everything went really smooth and easy.
Air Canada called the embassy to make sure we’re allowed to enter before we where allowed to board and that’s been it.
Really depends on who you encounter at the airport. Others have been stopped. There seems to be a bit more consistency at this point versus last week.

Mads.16

May 18, 2020
Category........
WP
Hi,

I have an LMIA-exempt work permit, my wife has an open work permit. We are supposed to enter Canada in June 2020. I am a healthcare worker. My wife has open work permit.

Recently my wife has given birth to a newborn - the newborn will have Australian passport and I will apply an ETA for him (he does not need TRV based on the IRCC website - only ETA).

Given recent travel restrictions, I am aware that temporary foreigner workers (TFW), which me and my wife are, will be allowed to travel to Canada. However, based on what I understand - I dont think my newborn will be able to enter Canada.

Is that what was reflected in the IRCC website? If so, isn't it weird that TFW cant bring their immediate family (such as a newborn/ young child) with them to enter Canada?
Hiii
I have an approval for owp. Will be travelling to Vancouver, my husband is on work permit too. Since the restriction is put in place needed to know if your wife on work permit has a job offer since they are saying need to have a job offer for travel.

Icke

Jan 29, 2019
Germany
Where does it say that a job offer is needed?
Of course I only can speak about my experience , but we had no trouble travelling as I mentioned and my wife is on open wp without a job offer.
But I’ve been told that the day the wp has been issued is important. It should be issued by March 18th.

Mads.16

May 18, 2020
Category........
WP
Thanks for your reply... actually I would be traveling first time. And my husband is in Canada . Now I have the wp issued on March 3rd . But as per essentials mentioned one must have a job ...this is creating all confusions. Will try to call up border security forces and yeah IRCC gave a generic reply to my mail on exemption...

Mind blowing

Apr 30, 2019
Thanks for your reply... actually I would be traveling first time. And my husband is in Canada . Now I have the wp issued on March 3rd . But as per essentials mentioned one must have a job ...this is creating all confusions. Will try to call up border security forces and yeah IRCC gave a generic reply to my mail on exemption...
Even I am in the same stage, but I already travelled to Canada in dependent visa/visitor visa. Now my sowp is approved during December 2019. We came for a vacation and now wants to go back to Canada. And the below link says we are exempted.

https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=38990&lang=en

There s a prohibition section and the (m) point says we are exempted

thank you

Reactions: Mads.16