+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is my common-law partner accompanying me?

theafjioman

Star Member
Aug 5, 2019
I am currently living with my common-law partner (who is a Canadian Citizen) in the UK and received an ITA last week. I entered that she is accompanying me (which is technically true) and whilst it didn't affect my CRS score, now the system is wanting me to enter a load of information about my partner including getting a police check for her. This can't be correct surely given that she's a Canadian citizen.

Should I change it to say that she will not be accompanying me to Canada?

Also, I have mentioned a job I had that lasted 8 months. It does not add to my points in any way if I include it or not. But since I did include it, it is now asking that I provide a reference letter from this employer. Is it possible to just remove this job from my profile or should I get a reference letter?

theafjioman

Star Member
Aug 5, 2019
You must change your Canadian partner's status to "not accompanying".

You can remove the job you mentioned above from the work experience section, but you must include it in the personal history section. If you do this, you will not be asked for proof of the work experience.
Thanks for this- I appreciate it!

theafjioman

Star Member
Aug 5, 2019
You must change your Canadian partner's status to "not accompanying".

You can remove the job you mentioned above from the work experience section, but you must include it in the personal history section. If you do this, you will not be asked for proof of the work experience.
Sorry to bother you but I'm hoping you can help me again. I changed my family information to say that my common-law partner is 'not accompanying' and whilst it has removed some of the questions and is no longer wanting me to pay extra for her to immigrate to Canada, it is still wanting me to provide a police certificate, proof of relationship, passport and family member proof of status. Do I really need to supply this information?

theafjioman

Star Member
Aug 5, 2019
I'm actually not too sure. I would have expected that as least a PCC would not be required and I seem to remember reading forum posts about this.

That said, I just did a quick search on the forum and looked around the standard documents on the IRCC website, but couldn't find anything that confirms this.

Maybe spend some more time than I just did searching the forum because I am pretty sure this has come up before. I just can't seem to find it at the moment...
That's fair. I'll take another search through the forum and see what I can find. Thanks for your help mate :)