+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is my child Dependent

NK

Aug 31, 2007
Im sure this is a simple question,, and I apologize if its been asked many a times.. (couldnt find the answer)

I am a Canadian citizen, my wife is a Japanese citizen. We are living in Japan, and just recently have had a child together. We are in the process of finishing our PR application (outside CAN). With the intent to relocate to Toronto next spring / summer. Is my child to be considered a dependent child on both my sponsorship application, and my wifes application??. We have applied for our childs CCC (canadian citizenship certificate) already. So I dont think I need to list her as a dependent of my wife??

I appreciate any help you may offer..

NK

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Well, since you've already applied for CCC, it shows that you already know that your son is entitled to Canadian citizenship.

Dependents mentioned in an immigrant's permanent resident (PR) application are applying for permanent residence status through the principal applicant or primary sponsored person.

Another way to put this is: You are sponsoring your wife who is not a Canadian citizen; and as a Canadian, you cannot sponsor your own child who derives citizenship from you.

DO NOT MENTION CHILD ON FOLLOWING FORMS:

So in other words, since your child is already a Canadian citizen, he or she should not be mentioned in -

1. Your wife's Permanent Resident application form IMM 0008 and
2. Neither on your Sponsorship Application form IMM 1344A

YES, MENTION CHILD ON FOLLOWING FORMS:

1. When completing your Sponsorship Evaluation form IMM 5481, you as the sponsor must account for your dependent(s) who financially depend on you. So, you should account for your child as "1" under item 6(B) on the first page, and fully identify your child as well under item 6(B) on the next page.

Here's what your Sponsorship Evaluation form looks like:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5481E.PDF

2. Also, your wife needs to include your child's name in one of her application materials and that is the "Additional Family Information" form IMM 5406: "It is very important that you list on this form any other children (even if they are already permanent residents of Canada or Canadian citizens) that you, your spouse or common-law partner or your dependent children might have who are not included in your Application for Permanent Residence."
The quote is from CIC: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999E4.asp

Since you are a citizen, if you wish to sponsor your wife while you are outside of Canada, you can follow this link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

NK said:
Im sure this is a simple question,, and I apologize if its been asked many a times.. (couldnt find the answer)

I am a Canadian citizen, my wife is a Japanese citizen. We are living in Japan, and just recently have had a child together. We are in the process of finishing our PR application (outside CAN). With the intent to relocate to Toronto next spring / summer. Is my child to be considered a dependent child on both my sponsorship application, and my wifes application??. We have applied for our childs CCC (canadian citizenship certificate) already. So I dont think I need to list her as a dependent of my wife??

NK

NK

Aug 31, 2007
Libra,

Thank you for such a swift and detailed reply. The PR process is trying at times,, its nice to know there are forums like this to share questions / ideas..

Im sure I will post another question soon,,

Thanks again

NK

bobstihl

Sep 10, 2007
Libra said:
Well, since you've already applied for CCC, it shows that you already know that your son is entitled to Canadian citizenship.

Dependents mentioned in an immigrant's permanent resident (PR) application are applying for permanent residence status through the principal applicant or primary sponsored person.

Another way to put this is: You are sponsoring your wife who is not a Canadian citizen; and as a Canadian, you cannot sponsor your own child who derives citizenship from you.

DO NOT MENTION CHILD ON FOLLOWING FORMS:

So in other words, since your child is already a Canadian citizen, he or she should not be mentioned in -

1. Your wife's Permanent Resident application form IMM 0008 and
2. Neither on your Sponsorship Application form IMM 1344A

YES, MENTION CHILD ON FOLLOWING FORMS:

1. When completing your Sponsorship Evaluation form IMM 5481, you as the sponsor must account for your dependent(s) who financially depend on you. So, you should account for your child as "1" under item 6(B) on the first page, and fully identify your child as well under item 6(B) on the next page.

Here's what your Sponsorship Evaluation form looks like:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5481E.PDF

2. Also, your wife needs to include your child's name in one of her application materials and that is the "Additional Family Information" form IMM 5406: "It is very important that you list on this form any other children (even if they are already permanent residents of Canada or Canadian citizens) that you, your spouse or common-law partner or your dependent children might have who are not included in your Application for Permanent Residence."
The quote is from CIC: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999E4.asp

Since you are a citizen, if you wish to sponsor your wife while you are outside of Canada, you can follow this link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

NK said:

NK