+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Montreal a good place to start as am international student?

Dhruvj96

Oct 26, 2017
I'm aware of the fact that, I'll be needing a certificate of acceptance from Quebec, but how is it for international students, I'm interested to apply for a course in Montreal, and I'm not good with french, you can always mug up basic stuff, and get accustomed to the language, but how is Montreal with job prospects? And you can get a PR earlier than other provinces in Quebec?

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
I'm aware of the fact that, I'll be needing a certificate of acceptance from Quebec, but how is it for international students, I'm interested to apply for a course in Montreal, and I'm not good with french, you can always mug up basic stuff, and get accustomed to the language, but how is Montreal with job prospects? And you can get a PR earlier than other provinces in Quebec?
Mugging up doesn't help with language. If you want to live and work in Quebec you need to learn and use french in your daily life.

Job prospect for students without French in Quebec : Odd jobs like anywhere else in Canada.

PR is awarded by Federal and Montreal being a part of Quebec , the processing times are same for all of Quebec. Quebec awards CSQ and on the basis of which you apply for PR.

Hope this helps

Dhruvj96

Oct 26, 2017
Mugging up doesn't help with language. If you want to live and work in Quebec you need to learn and use french in your daily life.

Job prospect for students without French in Quebec : Odd jobs like anywhere else in Canada.

PR is awarded by Federal and Montreal being a part of Quebec , the processing times are same for all of Quebec. Quebec awards CSQ and on the basis of which you apply for PR.

Hope this helps
By basics of the language I mean, like grammar, I'm well aware that it takes a while to be able to get a hold of a language, far fetched to be fluent in it. But I'm a perseverer, well everyone has to look for jobs regardless the location right? I mean the living expense is quite less compared to other big captals of Canada like Toronto, and I was told that I will be eligible to apply for a PR after finishing my course, where as in Toronto, I will have to work for a year consistently and then eligible to apply.

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
By basics of the language I mean, like grammar, I'm well aware that it takes a while to be able to get a hold of a language, far fetched to be fluent in it. But I'm a perseverer, well everyone has to look for jobs regardless the location right? I mean the living expense is quite less compared to other big captals of Canada like Toronto, and I was told that I will be eligible to apply for a PR after finishing my course, where as in Toronto, I will have to work for a year consistently and then eligible to apply.
Yes Living expenses are comparatively lesser.

Under the Peq Quebec graduate program you are eligible to apply for csq with a french B2 qualification or study undertaken in french. In Toronto you won't get PR on basis of doing odd jobs. Not a bad province but everything here is too slow and bureaucracy kills you. In skilled jobs without french not possible (with exception of IT jobs)

All the best

Reactions: Dhruvj96

Dhruvj96

Oct 26, 2017

Under the Peq Quebec graduate program you are eligible to apply for csq with a french B2 qualification or study undertaken in french. In Toronto you won't get PR on basis of doing odd jobs. Not a bad province but everything here is too slow and bureaucracy kills you. In skilled jobs without french not possible (with exception of IT jobs)

All the best
I'm a person with an IT background, and will be applying for a post graduate course.

Dhruvj96

Oct 26, 2017
Good. All the best
Thank you, I will really need it, there's one more question if you can help me with it,

I have no backlogs in my bachelors, which I completed earlier this year in April, took two months to prepare for IELTS, gave the test in August, got my results in September, however, I have a 2 year gap, I finished my +2 in 2012, took a course in aeronautical, I did not find it so appealing so I dropped out, I was working a private off paper business, so in 2013 I had gotten into a university, got theough first semester, but because of attendence issues I was not allowed to take the term, asked to re appear for it and pay extra. The fees were expensive, so I quit the course in college, and applied for the same in 2014 in another college, which I performed very well, so how should I justify this, and I had to work a private business because of losing my father in 2010, and my mother is old, so I had to help to get through the crisis, now I have a good IELTS score, decent cgpa and strong finance, and I really want to pursue a post graduate program, and if I get a chance to prove my prowess, I can really perform very well, I admit those two years are a let down. But I really want to pursue this...

Sorry for such a long off topic post, and thanks for the wishes too, I need them, and would be a great help if you can advise me what to do.

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Thank you, I will really need it, there's one more question if you can help me with it,

I have no backlogs in my bachelors, which I completed earlier this year in April, took two months to prepare for IELTS, gave the test in August, got my results in September, however, I have a 2 year gap, I finished my +2 in 2012, took a course in aeronautical, I did not find it so appealing so I dropped out, I was working a private off paper business, so in 2013 I had gotten into a university, got theough first semester, but because of attendence issues I was not allowed to take the term, asked to re appear for it and pay extra. The fees were expensive, so I quit the course in college, and applied for the same in 2014 in another college, which I performed very well, so how should I justify this, and I had to work a private business because of losing my father in 2010, and my mother is old, so I had to help to get through the crisis, now I have a good IELTS score, decent cgpa and strong finance, and I really want to pursue a post graduate program, and if I get a chance to prove my prowess, I can really perform very well, I admit those two years are a let down. But I really want to pursue this...

Sorry for such a long off topic post, and thanks for the wishes too, I need them, and would be a great help if you can advise me what to do.
Write a strong SOP and explain the way you have explained here but with more clarity and succinctly.

YPal

Star Member
Mar 19, 2011

All the best
I just wanted to make sure that the french B2 qualification just means learning the language and not any other subject in French. If yes then is just learning and passing the language at B2 level be sufficient for immigration?

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
I just wanted to make sure that the french B2 qualification just means learning the language and not any other subject in French. If yes then is just learning and passing the language at B2 level be sufficient for immigration?
The way it's going nowadays you maybe called for an interview by MIDI to test your spoken french and if you don't pass the interview you will be refused csq qith an option to prove your french in 20 days or so.

So come here with an aim to learn french as a language. I don't understand what you mean to say by - any other subject in French? A language is a language only.

Reactions: sunnymks