+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is meeting residency obligations difficult for you? Why?

Lyon37

Star Member
Oct 5, 2016
Nomination.....
N/A
Hi All,

Do you face such a problem? Has the pandemic increased your hardship?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi All,

I am trying to better analyze in terms of policy if the physical residency requirements (3 out of 5) are problematic to achieve for certain immigrants and why.

- Personally, I have an international career and progressing professionally requires me to be deployed in different countries. As a result, spending nearly 3 consecutive years in Canada (even though Canada has been / is my home and I want it to remain my home) is really challenging and comes at the risk of my losing my career. As of now, I've spent 21 months here...with some gaps...and every additional month feels daunting and risky in terms of my work.

Do you face a similar problem? Has the pandemic increased your hardship? Should the Government of Canada be using a different metric to assess ties to Canada?

1. For your PR obligations it is not 3 consecutive years, it is 2 years in every 5 year period.
2. To me, spending 2 years in every 5 in Canada seems pretty generous. Try the requirements for the US to retain your green card, a lot harder.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi All,

I am trying to better analyze in terms of policy if the physical residency requirements (3 out of 5) are problematic to achieve for certain immigrants and why.

- Personally, I have an international career and progressing professionally requires me to be deployed in different countries. As a result, spending nearly 3 consecutive years in Canada (even though Canada has been / is my home and I want it to remain my home) is really challenging and comes at the risk of my losing my career. As of now, I've spent 21 months here...with some gaps...and every additional month feels daunting and risky in terms of my work.

Do you face a similar problem? Has the pandemic increased your hardship? Should the Government of Canada be using a different metric to assess ties to Canada?

3 years of physical presence only matter to apply for citizenship, not to keep PR, as previously stated. it is not a consecutive requirement either. You may want to do a bit more research to correct your assumptions.

you posted in the PR Obligations forum, so it is assumed you are referring to keep your PR status

Lyon37

Star Member
Oct 5, 2016
Nomination.....
N/A
Hi

1. For your PR obligations it is not 3 consecutive years, it is 2 years in every 5 year period.
2. To me, spending 2 years in every 5 in Canada seems pretty generous. Try the requirements for the US to retain your green card, a lot harder.
Thanks for sharing. It is not hard for you, so my question is not addressed to you. Also, if Canada is your home, why would you mention the US? I don't care about the US. Thanks for your thoughts. All the best.

Lyon37

Star Member
Oct 5, 2016
Nomination.....
N/A
3 years of physical presence only matter to apply for citizenship, not to keep PR, as previously stated. it is not a consecutive requirement either. You may want to do a bit more research to correct your assumptions.

you posted in the PR Obligations forum, so it is assumed you are referring to keep your PR status
No. I am referring to naturalization, not merely maintaining PR obligations.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for sharing. It is not hard for you, so my question is not addressed to you. Also, if Canada is your home, why would you mention the US? I don't care about the US. Thanks for your thoughts. All the best.
Then you should say so in your first post rather than saying you are trying to better analyze in terms of policy if the physical residency requirements (3 out of 5) are problematic to achieve for certain immigrants and why. At first, I thought you are trying to make a research paper of some sort.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
My original post is addressed specifically to those immigrants for whom the naturalization residency is a problem. With the second question being why.

Unfortunately, I've been stuck with a bunch of mansplainers, expressing their opinions/judgments. So, utterly useless responses.

And I have not received a single response about someone's actual experience, which is what this question was targeted at.

Even if I want to write an article, random opinions contribute to nothing. They are a waste of time.
Just Wow!

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
My original post is addressed specifically to those immigrants for whom the naturalization residency is a problem. With the second question being why.

Unfortunately, I've been stuck with a bunch of mansplainers, expressing their opinions/judgments. So, utterly useless responses.

And I have not received a single response about someone's actual experience, which is what this question was targeted at.

Even if I want to write an article, random opinions contribute to nothing. They are a waste of time.
You realize this is a public forum and anyone can say what they want?

To be waiting for such a specific group of people that may be in the same situation, for anecdotal experience, will not yield many results.

If you care about gaining citizenship, then you will need to make some choices to make that happen, of course. There's no workarounds or loopholes if that's what you're asking about.

Good luck, it sounds like you need to take a breather and relax.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015

Hahaha..what a loser.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
I recommend you post that question on Facebook, where only people who agree with you will reply and reinforce your feeling of being right.

This has been discussed over and over again by people who want PR for convenience but see it as their Permanent Right to Temporary reside in Canada. That's not what PR is, it is not the intent behind PR and 2 out of 5 years is already very lenient compared to the purpose of the permanent residency. So unfortunately here, people will inform you, Facebook is your friend for reinforcing your sense of being right about pretty much anything by finding only same minded people and blocking other opinions.

And it has nothing to do with it being an issue to me, it is an issue to many people I know who are not ready to settle permanently in Canada and therefore struggle to stay here 5 months each year. For those who actually go ahead with their intent to settle permanently, it is not so much an issue. Nothing wrong with that either way, we all make choices regarding our personal or professional life that may conflict with our status in some country. But it is just that, our choices and the ensuing consequences.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You realize this is a public forum and anyone can say what they want?

To be waiting for such a specific group of people that may be in the same situation, for anecdotal experience, will not yield many results.

If you care about gaining citizenship, then you will need to make some choices to make that happen, of course. There's no workarounds or loopholes if that's what you're asking about.

Good luck, it sounds like you need to take a breather and relax.
You missed out that chip on their shoulder
Breathe
Relax
Chip on shoulder