+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Maternity leave considered as valid work experience ?

Sep 20, 2022
We received ITA for Canada PR. I have claimed 3 years of work experience outside Canada that is in India. Out of the 3 years, I was on Maternity leave for 12 months. I also travelled to the USA to be with my husband in that period of time. I have already obtained a valid work experience letter from my company in India for all the 3 years of service. Will my Maternity leave be considered as valid work experience for Canada PR ?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
We received ITA for Canada PR. I have claimed 3 years of work experience outside Canada that is in India. Out of the 3 years, I was on Maternity leave for 12 months. I also travelled to the USA to be with my husband in that period of time. I have already obtained a valid work experience letter from my company in India for all the 3 years of service. Will my Maternity leave be considered as valid work experience for Canada PR ?
Was it paid? Is the record there in employer's files? Did you have paperwork to support that?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Maternity leave is usually not considered towards work experience hours/days/years.

Reactions: Taran D

Greenlal

Jan 23, 2023
Hence if your employer gave you time off for maternity but you kept your job for you to return to, then your maternity leave counts as experience. If you quit completely but then came back then it does not count. I guess it will because you were not actively working during this period.

Sep 20, 2022
Hence if your employer gave you time off for maternity but you kept your job for you to return to, then your maternity leave counts as experience. If you quit completely but then came back then it does not count. I guess it will because you were not actively working during this period.
Thank you for the reply. Like you stated, my employer gave me time off for maternity but kept my job for me to return to. I never quit. I have already obtained a valid work experience letter from my company in India for all the 3 years of service which includes maternity leave.

hiato

Star Member
Sep 15, 2016
@Greenlal any idea what the situation would be in case of self employment? I'm self employed and was on maternity leave for 2 months where I did not get paid from my full time client but got back to work normally on the third month.. any idea if this pause should be specified in my application and stated as unemployment and not continued work history?

Resettlementincanada

Aug 14, 2021
As per the IRPR s.87.1(2), the member of this class (CEC) (for the period of employment) needs to perform the actions described in the lead statement and perform a substantial number of the main duties of the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions. This basically means you need to perform work.