+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is maiden name part of given name?

Sagent64

Jan 6, 2017
Hi, i renew my pr card without my maiden name and applied citizenship without maiden name because ithought maiden name is not part of given name and in the application form said only enter given name is there will be no problem if i dont have middle name? my sample real name is first namejohn michael maiden name lennon last name magic
now it shows on my pr cad john michael magic

mytammy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2011
Write all the names as it appears on your passport. If you are married and are using your spouse's surname you would need to provide a marriage certificate showing the changes in your name. Sometimes when filling out forms you would sometimes notice a question if you have used any other names before and that's where your maiden name comes in or your complete name at birth.

Example name at birth
first name: Jane
Surname: Doe

Jane got married and is now using spouse's surname Smith.

So Jane can now use either Jane Smith or Jane Doe Smith. As long as Jane has a document that would support the change in her name

roxith

Dec 28, 2021
Will there be any problem in the application if you didn’t put the middle name even if it appears in your passport?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Will there be any problem in the application if you didn’t put the middle name even if it appears in your passport?
Write. all. the. names. in. your. passport.

And please note - your'e posting this all over, but the answer might depend on context. Post in the forum that fits your case - citizenship is different than applying for PR status from abroad.

Post there once and wait before posting the same question all over.

roxith

Dec 28, 2021
Sorry to upset you. I just don’t want to jeopardise my application because we have different definition. I want to get a better response that’s why I tried posting before I knew I started a thread. But thanks for replying.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I'm missing my middle name from my original home country's passport through all my IRCC applications, and I have had absolutely zero issues. Even if it was pointed out during my citizenship interview, the officer shrugged it off, just asked if I had no problem with the name not appearing in my Canadian citizenship certificate/passport. I also know family friends with the same case, who dropped their middle names when they became Canadian.

Reactions: roxith

roxith

Dec 28, 2021
I'm missing my middle name from my original home country's passport through all my IRCC applications, and I have had absolutely zero issues. Even if it was pointed out during my citizenship interview, the officer shrugged it off, just asked if I had no problem with the name not appearing in my Canadian citizenship certificate/passport. I also know family friends with the same case, who dropped their middle names when they became Canadian.
Thank you. This is the one that I need to know.