+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is longer residency requirement really possible?

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
us2yow said:
no way will they do that...that would be suicidal...and asking applicants waiting to have their applications "REVIEWED" much less allowed in after that review (as was the case with the FSW applications erased before a certain cut off date) is fundamentally very different from messing with PRs who are essentially Canadians - - its apples and oranges !

FSW applicants are not landed immigrants. UNFORTUNATELY, in that sense, they were easier to handle since the tons and tons of applications weren't even opened and these applicants were for purposes of classification foreigners (non-PR / non-citizen) waiting to take their chances.

WHEREAS, on the other end of the spectrum, PRs are here, doing their thing...GOvt cannot shoot themselves in the foot and look so lousy..believe me..its has LARGE reputational and election risks for the conservatives :eek:....

Lets know our rights and have our self-worth as PRs (although the Govt has tried to shake it).
Unlike US PRs, Canadian PRs have almost no rights! Yes, you have the right to live anywhere in Canada, but how many of you do really want to live in this frozen tundra called Canada. Let's be honest. Most of you are here to get Canadian passport and get the hell out of here, right? CIC is very well aware of this, so they are playing this "waiting game" with you naive PRs. LOL. They'll say to you, "What's the hurry, boys? Don't you enjoy living in Canada? Get on with your lives and some day you'll get your citizenship, boys. If you don't want to wait anymore, get the f--k out of here. You have your right to go back to your third world home country, boy..."

And Canada has no reputation at all!

And speaking of election, this is the only way for conservatives to win this upcoming election and more. That is, prevent the demographic change by all means possible. Conservatives saw what happened in the US. They don't want to be in the same deep sh*thole republicans are in now.

Wise up, boys!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
gosia said:
This bad news for me, currently I'm only eligible to apply for citizenship June 20 2015, if this bill passes, that could be 2 more years waiting :'( :'(
I love Canada, why are they making it so hard, not fair since other people did not have to wait for this long.
Laws can change. Canadians have a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to the US, etc. so they don't like it when immigrants come to Canada, stay just long enough to get a passport and then depart for greener pastures. There is a sense that immigrants use Canada as a gateway to the US, or as a safe haven. Of course, this issue is probably grossly exaggerated.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
I have little desire to post here after seeing the consistently rude tone adopted by corazon3. The name Corazon is supposed to mean "heart". But, corazon3 is sadly adopting an arrogant uppity approach and responding in a "heartless" way every single time - as if he or she is someone born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

Unfortunately, this arrogance is surely not Canadian. I dont recall seeing such arrogance on this site. It was so very disappointing and off-putting that I couldn't even bother with reporting you for your rudeness. But, maybe if you keep being so rude I am certain that it will not be too long before someone on here will have no other option but to report you to the moderator for your repeated arrogant and pejorative tone toward PRs.

Finally - Corazon3 - you may also find this word useful - schadenfreude - a feeling of enjoyment that comes from seeing or hearing about the troubles of other people

Highlander2014

Dec 11, 2013
Increasing the length of time to wait before becoming eligible to apply for citizenship could be a harsh decision for most people. However, remember that citizenship is not a right. I see some entitled people posting arguments on this forum.

Also remember that as a country grows it must tighten its immigration. Canada was wide-open for immigration 50 years ago, but has continued to make changes as the country's population has grown.

I think one of the most important criteria for CIC to focus on is people who are actually being Canadian and being part of society: which means being social, making friends across cultures, going out and appreciating and respecting Canadian ways of life. You are not Canadian just because you worked and lived in the country for a few years.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Highlander2014 said:
Increasing the length of time to wait before becoming eligible to apply for citizenship could be a harsh decision for most people. However, remember that citizenship is not a right. I see some entitled people posting arguments on this forum.

Also remember that as a country grows it must tighten its immigration. Canada was wide-open for immigration 50 years ago, but has continued to make changes as the country's population has grown.

I think one of the most important criteria for CIC to focus on is people who are actually being Canadian and being part of society: which means being social, making friends across cultures, going out and appreciating and respecting Canadian ways of life. You are not Canadian just because you worked and lived in the country for a few years.
Previously it was 5 years for Canadian citizenship.

ScubaC

Jun 21, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am still wondering if they will increase non-PR time from 1yr to...

Any responses?

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Previously it was 5 years for Canadian citizenship.
Hmmm, didn't know that. Do you know since when it's been changed to 3 years out of 4? How many years was this 5 years out of (5+)? thanks

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
guys....can we all chill out for a bit and ring in this New Year on a positive note..and STAY positive ;D....instead of becoming panicky, alarmist, negative and unnecessarily raising everyone's blood pressure on as yet unfounded & half baked information....doesn't help at all. Relax people....please :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yyzhuang said:
Hmmm, didn't know that. Do you know since when it's been changed to 3 years out of 4? How many years was this 5 years out of (5+)? thanks
Until 1977 :)

miltonian

Oct 24, 2012
History of Canadian Citizenship: FYI

After Canadian Confederation in 1867, the country's nationality law closely mirrored that of the United Kingdom and all Canadians were classified as British subjects. Section 91(25) of the British North America Act, 1867 (now the Constitution Act, 1867), however, gave the Parliament of Canada authority over "Naturalization and Aliens". The Immigration Act, 1910, for example, created the status of Canadian citizen.[1] This distinguished those British subjects who were born, naturalized, or domiciled in Canada from those who were not, but was only applied for the purpose of determining whether someone was free of immigration controls.[2] The Naturalization Act, 1914, increased the period of residence required to qualify for naturalization in Canada as a British subject from three years to five years. A separate additional status of Canadian national was created under the Canadian Nationals Act, 1921, in order that Canada could participate in international fora separately from the UK.
Canadian independence was obtained incrementally over the ensuing years. In 1931, with the Imperial Parliament's ratification of the Statute of Westminster, the United Kingdom ceased to have legislative control over Canada. At that time, Canada's naturalization laws consisted of a hodgepodge of confusing acts,[3] which still retained the term British subject as the designation for Canadian nationals. This eventually conflicted with the nationalism that rose amongst Canadians following the Second World War and the accompanying desire to have Canada's sovereign status reflected in distinct nationalistic symbols.[4] This, plus the muddled nature of existing nationality law, prompted the enactment of the Canadian Citizenship Act, 1946, which took effect on 1 January 1947. On that date, Canadian citizenship was conferred on most Canadians classified as British subjects. Subsequently, on 1 April 1949, Canadian nationality law was extended to Newfoundland, upon the British colony joining Canada as a province.
Canadian nationality law was substantially revised on 15 February 1977, when the new Citizenship Act came into force. From that date, multiple citizenship became legal. However, those who lost Canadian citizenship before that date did not automatically have it restored until 17 April 2009, when Bill C-37 became law.[5] The 2009 act, the most recent major change to laws governing Canadian citizenship, limited the issuance of citizenship to children born outside Canada to Canadian ancestors (jus sanguinis) to one generation abroad

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Highlander2014 said:

I believe citizenship is a right, if one meets the requirements that Canada sets for it. What else would it be? A gift from CIC that they grant when they feel like it? College admissions where they decide who has the best extracurricular activities?

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
on-hold said:
I believe citizenship is a right, if one meets the requirements that Canada sets for it. What else would it be? A gift from CIC that they grant when they feel like it? College admissions where they decide who has the best extracurricular activities?
If you apply for Citizenship it is called a GRANT OF CITIZENSHIP.

Citizenship is not a right but something that the Govt of Canada can grant. You have to meet certain arbritary qualifications (subject to change at their discrection) in order to be granted Citizenship.

Canada or any other country in the world does not OWE you citizenship. They can decide tomorrow to stop granting citizenship altogether and no one can do anything about it (except elect a different govt at the ballot box)

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
That's not true -- if they did not owe you citizenship, the process would be arbitrary, which would be unacceptable. If you meet the qualifications, citizenship is your right. Of course the qualifications are arbitrary, everything about the law is; and of course they can be changed, equally arbitrarily. But that doesn't change the fact that if you meet them and apply, citizenship is your right.

I might be wrong -- can you give me an example of someone who met the qualifications and was not granted citizenship when they applied?